Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford vs. Charlton Ath | 1st January 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

edited December 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

The away visit to Watford sees the first game of a new calendar year for the Addicks and after a dramatic 2012, hopefully 2013 can be as successful. Firstly we must defeat Watford who have progressed in some style since the last time the two sides met. Gianfranco Zola's side are now sitting in the play-offs position compared to when we faced them in October where the Hornets were in 18th place.

While Watford have been on the up, we have not won in six matches and while last Saturday’s draw with Derby showed more promise and heart, it was still evident that things still needed improving. Tuesday’s game against Watford will certainly be intriguing to say the least.

It is also worth noting that Tuesday’s referee is Trevor Kettle who in his previous Charlton fixture against Oldham last season harshly sent both Danny Hollands and Scott Wagstaff off and the Latics' Jean-Yves M'voto which baffled both Chris Powell and Oldham manager Paul Dickov.

The Opposition

Despite criticism over the philosophy of the ‘loan’ deals that Watford have, you can’t deny that it has helped them immensely as they are now in 6th place with a game in hand over other clubs in the play-offs. The Hornets are also unbeaten in three matches another reason why they are considered as favourites for Tuesday’s game, however one thing to bear in mind is that Watford may have one eye on Saturday’s FA Cup tie versus Manchester City so their line-up may be different to recent matches.

In their last match, Watford won away at Brighton 3-1 thanks to a double from striker Matej Vydra who will be a key man for Watford up-front as the Czech striker possesses a lot of pace and finishing ability so Cort and most likely Dervite will have to be aware of his talent. Another player we will have to be aware of is Chelsea-loanee Nathaniel Chalobah who usually plays in the middle of the park and despite the age of 18, he doesn’t look out of place in the Championship.

The Line -Up

Two definite changes that will be needed by Powell is to replace the suspended Michael Morrison and the injured Danny Haynes. The replacement for Morro is most likely to be Dorian Dervite who has covered the centre of defence a few times this season. Who replaces Haynes however is a bit of a dilemma for Powell, but the most likely candidate is Bradley Wright-Phillips who impressed when given the opportunity off the bench against Derby in our last fixture. The other option is the more experienced Ricardo Fuller who scored in the last meeting between Charlton and Watford.

Other than those two changes, I would expect the team line-up to be the same with Pritchard and Stephens in the middle of midfield along with Wilson right and Jackson occupying the left-hand side. After a battling display against Derby, Yann Kermorgant may keep his place upfront instead of QPR-loanee Rob Hulse.

On the bench, we may see Matt Taylor being recalled as defensive cover and the other vacant sub position it may be filled by Danny Green who was dropped from the side after a poor half against Ipswich on Boxing Day.

The Prediction

1-1: We have to try to remain positive at Preview Towers, so I've gone for a one-all draw which wouldn't be a bad result at all.

Predicted Line-Up

Comments

• 3-0 Watford
  • edited December 2012
    2 - 2
  • 2-1 defeat for me. I think Watford may well be 'that' side that makes their move late in this year's Championship.
  • Something crap like a 0-2 defeat.
  • dervite 4 morro
    hulse 4 yann
    frimpong 4 haynes in a 5 man midfield, 1-1 draw
  • Don't. Know why but think we nick this one 2-1. I would like to see waggy get a game off yann.
  • 3-1 to Watford
  • Would like to see us revert to 4-5-1. Don't think we will 0-3.
  • dervite 4 morro
    hulse 4 yann
    frimpong 4 haynes in a 5 man midfield, 1-1 draw

I think that's pretty sensible.
    Watford in good form, like to pass it and have a bit of trickery going forward.
    Stifle the midfield and play on the counter.
    Hulse gets the nod over Yann, with the latter having done a good shift in heavy conditions less than 72 hours previous.

1-1 if we are on our game.

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2012
    Terrible feeling about this game. 5-1 to Watford :(
  • having got the correct score in 3 of our last 4 games (are you reading kinveach:-) hopefully i'll get this one wrong cos like the old sage Nicholas i see a high scoring defeat 4-2 to watford
  • Playing away is a "form" plus. Would not surprise me if we got a win against the odds. Let's hope for a shock result against an in-form team.
  • Never seem to do well vs Watford this one will be tough they play some nice football which could rip us apart. Point would be a bonus right now
  • 5-0 to Udinese
  • Can see them playing us off the park so that we start 2013 in a worried state. But the Man City game may have an effect so I think 2-0 will do them.
  • Should be the side Stubbley predicts but CP will probably tinker. At least 3-0 to Watford unless we start like we played for the middle 40 mins on Saturday and keep it up for 90.
  • Commentary Live on BBCLONDON94.9 tomorrow.
  • One of the many things I love about Charlton is our capacity for surprise results. I see us over-turning the form books and sneaking a 0-1 win. The performance against Derby was certainly an improvement and we owe them one after they plundered a win when we outplayed them at the valley earlier this season. I am probably deluded, over-optimistic and perhaps still full of the Christmas spirit - but I lost all reason when I started supporting the lads. Long may it continue.
  • Very tough game this,on Saturday night they couldn't wait for this so I'd take a point.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-3 but I think we will hold them at 1-1 till about the 75th min
  • 0-3 watford
  • All the signs point to a big defeat for Charlton. However, I think we will give it a good go, get a bit of overdue good luck & come away with a 1-1 draw.
  • edited December 2012
    I thought that Zola and the Hornets would struggle. I was totally wrong. A good attacking side playing great football at times and getting better. I don't like it that so many loanees are in the side but it is within the 'laws'.
    As usual our team will give it a good shot but willl be outplayed and will do superbly to get a point. Hamer - Solly Dervite Cort Evina - Green Wilson Pritchard Jackson - Fuller Wright-Phillips. W-P deserves a start and at least has some pace. I fancy Wilson in central midfield but it won't happen. New Year, new approach: Watford 2 v CAFC 2
  • Its a funny league

Surprise Charlton win
  • 3-1 loss. They go 1-0 up, we peg it back and get excited, then don't get much of a look in.

Always a crap game over there, only time I think I've seen us win there was in about '92 and we played in blue.
  • 5 man miidfield with Fuller loan striker. Park the bus and look for a late breakaway goal. So, 1-0 Charlton (Fuller 74 ). COYR
  • Think this side are due a "tearing of a new one..."

1-6 to the Gap
  • At the moment we seem to lack consistency and we don't seem to play well for 90 minutes. On a few occasions, it seems to me we only start playing when it's too late - maybe because the pressure is off? So, if Watford do us a favour and score early we are in with a chance of getting something.

That said, I was very impressed with Watford on the telly at the weekend, so anything other than a drubbing will be a good result for us I feel.
  • On paper, our toughest game of the festive period and we have a lousy record over there. My expectations are, therefore, low but you never know and the team certainly has a lot of guts. We'll get plenty of men behind the ball and hope to nick one.

I was impressed with Troy Deeny at our place and he and the little Czech guy will need watching.