Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield Wednesday's Jeremy Helan gets two yellows but no red

I don't get why refs can make this mistake.
You get the players number and team when you give them a card.
Don't they actually still write it in the book?
When you do it again, you check the book to see if the same team and numbered player has been cautioned previously.
Simples..................
Huddersfield manager Simon Grayson says referee Mick Russell's failure to send off a Sheffield Wednesday player he booked twice is "staggering".
Russell showed midfielder Jeremy Helan a second yellow card in the 26th minute of the 0-0 draw between the sides but did not produce a red card.
Grayson said: "He's probably written the wrong number down in his book."
Wednesday boss Dave Jones claimed Helan should not have been shown a first yellow card for diving.
Russell booked 20-year-old Helan for a foul on Huddersfield winger Adam Hammill but the Hertfordshire official did not realise he had already booked the Frenchman for diving in the penalty area in the ninth minute.
Two yellows don't make a red
English referee Graham Poll booked Croatia defender Josip Simunic three times before showing a red card during their 2006 World Cup fixture against Australia.

Following that error Fifa president Sepp Blatter indicated Australia could have demanded a replay had they lost and been knocked out

Grayson said that the referee apologised for his error at the end of the match.
He added: "He should have been helped by his officials, who should be overruling.
"I don't mind referees making big mistakes in terms of tackles and sendings off, but something quite simple like that shouldn't be happening in Championship football."
Former Football League official Tony Leake said he expects Russell to have to stand down for a period over his error - and believes a replay of the fixture is not out of the question.
"The matter will now need to be dealt with by the relevant authorities," he said.
"If Huddersfield believe the player being on the field meant the result did not go in their favour then it could be that the game is replayed."
But Grayson was unsure about this possibility, saying he would be "very surprised".
Jones was adamant that Helan, who is on loan from Manchester City, should not have been booked for diving in the ninth minute and that his side should instead have been awarded a penalty.
Jones said: "I don't know about a first booking, it was a penalty. That's the controversy.
"Helan has been clipped and he's not the type of lad to dive. I think we should have won the game, that's what I'm perplexed about."

Comments

• Incredible

as Grayson says, why the hell dint the 4th official correct the error?
  • The big clubs always get the decisions.
  • Massive mistake and massive load of bulls**t from Jones.
  • He's got 2 yellow cards, we've got 2 Sodje's!!!!!

One of my favourite random songs I've heard at The Valley.
  • sralan said:

Massive mistake and massive load of bulls**t from Jones.

This, pisses me off when managers come out after something so blatantly incorrect like this and try to gloss over it because it went in their favour.

Football is long overdue an injection of sporting honesty.

• I hope it's replayed just for comedy value

Lol ! You're on form tonight, NLA

Hope so, we'll get two more points.

As modest as ever.
  • edited December 2012

I hope it's replayed just for comedy value

As modest deluded as ever.
    Fixed

• Sponsored links:

• Seriously they are all crying on DATM, what isn't being mentioned is the fact we were well on top until that incident, it somewhat killed the game after, I'd be more then happy to replay the game if Hudd wanted too, but I feel they will be happy with a point.
  • I think this is a load of fuss over not very much.
    I know the ref's made a big and pretty unforgiveable ricket here, (mistaking Helan for Antonio for the first booking), but i'm just surprised this situation has never happened before:
    You know how, whenever the appeals procedure for overturning cards is discussed, it's always mentioned that "...yellow cards can't be overturned except for cases of mistaken identity..."?
    Well, that suggests that mistaken identity is considered to be a realistic possibility and so the powers that be would amend records and dish out/remove penalties accordingly. Not ideal, but surely that's all that can happen here?
    My guess is that Antonio's yellow will get rescinded and Helan will get given the booking retrospectively and hence a one match ban for getting two yellows in a game. Replaying the game would be ridiculous - if you replayed this, then how can you ever justify NOT replaying any other game where a red card is later rescinded or issued retrospectively?
  • I agree lord Romford

But think it will be hilarious if the game is replayed

A, if hudds win owls talk will implode

B if weds win then hudds fans will go nutts

Would just be funny

and if it's drawn then nothing lost Would still be funny
  • I think the ref needs to be punished and the player too. If he knew he had got 2 yellows, he should have walked - big ban needed.
  • I think the ref needs to be punished and the player too. If he knew he had got 2 yellows, he should have walked - big ban needed.

Hung, drawn (?) and quartered !

• This happens about once every couple of seasons, it usually results from the ref forgetting to write the players name down after showing a card
  • cfgs said:

This happens about once every couple of seasons, it usually results from the ref forgetting to write the players name down after showing a card

....or if he's illiterate .

• An incredible mistake. There is no doubt given the amount of time that was left that it directly influenced the outcome of the game.

I disagree. He has not been shown a red card and therefore has not been sent off the field of play. He has every right to stay on the pitch, the mistake is the referees, not his.
  • Another crap ref 4 this league
  • Sponsored links:

• The look on Helan's face when the ref doesn't pull out the red is priceless.