Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Poyet right on 'average' division ?

Interesting comments from Gus Poyet:

"Without winning games we are there. It shows you how average this division is. Competitive, but average.

"With the results we have had, we should be 15th or 18th. We are still there because it is average."

Is he right ??

Comments

• edited December 2012
    surely he means the performances instead of results, no?

Its certainly unpredictable and i think the quality is quite good from what ive seen.
  • surely he means the performances instead of results?

This, results/points speak for themselves.
  • Yes he's got a good point , the only side i feel we have been steam rollered by so far this season is Notts Forest & to a degree M'Boro , Leicester were quality as well.
    If we string a series of wins together we could be in touch with the playoffs , but i still feel at the moment our concern is to stay midtable if we can , rather than get involved in a scrap after Christmas.

Bolton had that bit of extra quality up front on Sat , we need to be more ruthless in front of goal when chances come along , not sure any of our strikers have got that in them at the moment.
  • just because any team can beat another (Cardiff v P'boro) does not make it average imo.

have been impressed with the majority of teams I've seen but for different reasons.
  • edited December 2012

He must mean performances, or he's a bit thick. However strong, average or poor a league is, the same amount of points are available. There aren't any leagues that are so bad that 22 games in, no-one has got more than ten points or so good that everyone's in the hundreds.
  • Yes, I think he's right. Quite honestly the season is nearly half way through & virtually any team could get promoted.

Ipswich have been one of the poorest teams, but are only 6 points behind us & 13 points off the play offs.

It's not impossible that they could sneak 6th spot & get promoted. Granted it's highly unlikely, but it's not impossible.
  • Depends what he means by average.

If you read it as "all at a similar level" then yes.
  • Uboat said:

He must mean performances, or he's a bit thick. However strong, average or poor a league is, the same amount of points are available. There aren't any leagues that are so bad that 22 games in, no-one has got more than ten points or so good that everyone's in the hundreds.
    I'd be highly suspicious of any team that was in the hundreds after 22 games!

• No stand out teams with the possible exception of Palace.
  • The Championship is hardly average. If you look at the second tier quality of football across Europe, the Championship is a far harder division to compete in.

Shut up Poyet
  • Sponsored links:

• it is certainly has better standard of player than 20 years ago. Relegated teams such as Bolton & Blackburn have keeo a number of Premiership quality players and then the loan system nowdays means that even an "avergae" team like us can have a Frimpong or Fuller in them.

Compare that to the team that played the first game back at the Valley - although it contained a few quality players such as Minto & Walsh, it also contain quite a few Darrren Pitchers, Steve Gritts and Carl Leaburns.
  • Palace 2nd, Millwall 6th. Seems pretty average to me.
  • I think it depends what the yardstick is. It seems to be a competitive division and a decent standard - certainly, compared to League 1. However, I doubt that you could pick any team to go up and definitely hold its own next season.
  • It is competitive as all teams are quite bad. I have not seena lot of quality. Only been to home games to be fair but thought Leicester and Brighton stood out as teams who played good football with pace and flair, they are clearly inconsistent though as neither are top.
  • A little hard to judge his comment - how is "average" interpreted? It's got to be considered as a comparison to something in order for it to be deemed average. Brighton have spent much more time in League One in recent years than the Championship so I wouldn't like to think he is using it in a negative sense.

I get the impression that he just used the word in the wrong context and it has been picked up and ran with by the media. Something lost in translation maybe.

"Average" = Tight/Every team has the same average quality as each other. My guess.
  • cafctom said:

A little hard to judge his comment - how is "average" interpreted? It's got to be considered as a comparison to something in order for it to be deemed average. Brighton have spent much more time in League One in recent years than the Championship so I wouldn't like to think he is using it in a negative sense.

I get the impression that he just used the word in the wrong context and it has been picked up and ran with by the media. Something lost in translation maybe.

"Average" = Tight/Every team has the same average quality as each other. My guess.

That was my interpretation too, the gulf between the biggest of the big and the smallest of the small clubs is not all that evident on the pitch at times. Seeing Birmingham struggling a bit for example.
  • thenewbie said:

cafctom said:

A little hard to judge his comment - how is "average" interpreted? It's got to be considered as a comparison to something in order for it to be deemed average. Brighton have spent much more time in League One in recent years than the Championship so I wouldn't like to think he is using it in a negative sense.

That was my interpretation too, the gulf between the biggest of the big and the smallest of the small clubs is not all that evident on the pitch at times. Seeing Birmingham struggling a bit for example.
    who can forget the most massive club in the division being 2nd from bottom?
  • And Huddersfield have been unbeaten all season, yet are 17th
  • I don't agree at all. I have seen a lot of skill, pace and tactical nouse in this league. With the Prem signing many overseas players, many British players who 20 years ago would have been in the first div. are now plying their trade in the Championship. I think overall the quality of play has been of a high standard and the games very competitive.
  • I think that compared to the division we left three years ago this Championship is of a superior quality and i would go as far to say it is similar to the top tier pre Sky money, with the exception of the perennial top 6. it is certainly a league that i am enjoying and am happy to be in, to be honest I would hate to be promoted this season, another season in a league where we could compete and have something to play for other than relegation survival gets my vote.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:

cafctom said:

who can forget the most massive club in the division being 2nd from bottom?
    Who indeed. I am just too polite to mock them... possibly.
  • I think from what I've seen so far this season the issue is consistency. Cardiff and the Nigels seem to have more hence their position but even they have their off days (and presumably Posh had an on-day last Sat). Missed the Leicester game but the teams who have impressed me thus far at home have been Middlesborough and Brighton. Suspect Palace have had better days than they had against us.
  • I'll keep my powder dry for now - we're playing them on Saturday.
  • I don't agree at all. I have seen a lot of skill, pace and tactical nouse in this league. With the Prem signing many overseas players, many British players who 20 years ago would have been in the first div. are now plying their trade in the Championship. I think overall the quality of play has been of a high standard and the games very competitive.

Agree with that. Some excellent ex-prem players in this division.