Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Covered End----Memories

Comments

• edited December 2012

ThatBrighton incident was when we went down on that awful Leauge
    Liner special train, remember that ? It had a disco and tv onboard ? . An Sheff Weds never took covered in my memory ? An there was a point in time when Charlton were a NF sympathetic firm, with only mad person Mackenzie being our resident leftie. However, I think that became nationlist rather than racist, an can remember the poppy guy always doing well outside CoveredEnd on home game near rememberance Sunday.

Sheff Weds had deffo taken the CE, and stayed there, 3rd rd FAC 75/76 ? Remember it well - first time I had seen it happen. Pretty sure Cardiff took it first game of season that followed.
  • West Stand story. Michael Ball is a young Woolwich urchin caught up in the terrace wars of SE7.

"Breathtaking" Time Out

"A hoot" Evening Standard

"Pwopa faaarkin nawty" Pie n' Eels weekly

PMSL :-)
  • A book wouldn't necessarily have to be centred round the aggro but more the whole terrace culture. It's obvious that we had several characters around in that era and there are enough witty contributers who can amusingly rattle off a story. More of a social history. Knock out a Kindle version and those poor folks who missed it (myself included) can cry envious tears for days gone by.

• This thread has prompted my first post,so many good memories growing up in the CE in 60's & early 70's before moving away. Like others always stood with the barrier behind made it a lot easier when we scored or singing knees up mother brown , I'd forgotten just how bad the urinals were , especially when it was raining . Like some of the previous posts I can also remember some of the away trips in the late 60's especially Arsenal in the FA Cup up the North Bank , Huddersfield in their Cow Shed when it was absolutely tipping down with rain , I also seem to remember pulling in some disco after , We had coach trips organised leaving the Antigallican on Friday night @ closing time I remember going to Blackpool where we had a spot of bother and all got taken back to the local nick after the game & Middlesboro where I remember drinking in their supporters club bar called the Ayresome Angels I think .
  • Another fun away trip was to Swindon. Lost 0-5 including an "own goal of the season" from Jack Burkett, but took the Swindon end and resisted all their attempts to take it back. Bit tasty getting to the station afterwards, if I remember correctly.
  • Plenty of wit and grit and funny moments from them years...might seriously consider the musical idea.
  • The Ayrsome Angels organised a coach for us to go home in as our driver refused to stay if we went for a drink with them. Remember it well, Newcastle Amber on draught lovely stuff.
  • My first ever game following us was in the 70's against spuds at the Valley and i was hooked!
    As a kid I loved the CE,it made me feel proud and though was young then looked up to the older chaps and the way they would hold their own.
    As time went on I can honestly say Charlton is my Passion and have made great mates along the way and full respect to all.
    True legends to the Right Side and Middle and Left!
  • Tav welcome back
  • Tav welcome back

Cheers mate
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2012

This thread has prompted my first post,so many good memories growing up in the CE in 60's & early 70's before moving away. Like others always stood with the barrier behind made it a lot easier when we scored or singing knees up mother brown , I'd forgotten just how bad the urinals were , especially when it was raining . Like some of the previous posts I can also remember some of the away trips in the late 60's especially Arsenal in the FA Cup up the North Bank , Huddersfield in their Cow Shed when it was absolutely tipping down with rain , I also seem to remember pulling in some disco after , We had coach trips organised leaving the Antigallican on Friday night @ closing time I remember going to Blackpool where we had a spot of bother and all got taken back to the local nick after the game & Middlesboro where I remember drinking in their supporters club bar called the Ayresome Angels I think .

We played the Middlesborough supporters team...Bomber was useless as a linesman, was running the full length of the pitch and waving his flag. Greenie (who was a proper GK) kept us in it til half time, then Chrissy took over in goal...what a disaster, think we lost 12-2. Also remember Jonny Ball falling off the bar stool after 1 pint of Newcastle Brown and wasnt able to get up for laughing.

• The Arsenal testimonial game was 100% seated in the CE i assure you.
    They gave it gooners and ended up on the pitch
  • This thread has prompted my first post,so many good memories growing up in the CE in 60's & early 70's before moving away. Like others always stood with the barrier behind made it a lot easier when we scored or singing knees up mother brown , I'd forgotten just how bad the urinals were , especially when it was raining . Like some of the previous posts I can also remember some of the away trips in the late 60's especially Arsenal in the FA Cup up the North Bank , Huddersfield in their Cow Shed when it was absolutely tipping down with rain , I also seem to remember pulling in some disco after , We had coach trips organised leaving the Antigallican on Friday night @ closing time I remember going to Blackpool where we had a spot of bother and all got taken back to the local nick after the game & Middlesboro where I remember drinking in their supporters club bar called the Ayresome Angels I think .

Ayresome Angels Bar ? Wasn't that a converted victorian house about 70 or 71& the "hairy" guys we'd been drinking with ended up rucking with the Boro skins in the park up the road where we'd been playing footie earlier with the hairy lot ?
  • Tavern said:

The Arsenal testimonial game was 100% seated in the CE i assure you.

I'm talking about the Les Gore testimonial in late 70's. Not sure of any other testimonials involving the Gunners but the seats went in to the CE in 1981.

• Tavern said:

I'm talking about the Les Gore testimonial in late 70's. Not sure of any other testimonials involving the Gunners but the seats went in to the CE in 1981.

There was a testimonial against the arse when George Best played the 2nd half for us, no idea what year tho
  • Charltonbob

Tavern said:

Sorry BB as Charlton bob says

• Think the second gooner testimonial was for Les Berry.
  • Think the second gooner testimonial was for Les Berry.

i meant Charlton Bob Says

• ThatBrighton incident was when we went down on that awful Leauge
    Liner special train, remember that ? It had a disco and tv onboard ? . An Sheff Weds never took covered in my memory ? An there was a point in time when Charlton were a NF sympathetic firm, with only mad person Mackenzie being our resident leftie. However, I think that became nationlist rather than racist, an can remember the poppy guy always doing well outside CoveredEnd on home game near rememberance Sunday.

Sheff Weds had deffo taken the CE, and stayed there, 3rd rd FAC 75/76 ? Remember it well - first time I had seen it happen. Pretty sure Cardiff took it first game of season that followed.
    For the record......Wednesday didnt take the Covered End as such. I got to the ground early around 1.45pm and they were already in there.....most of our lot hadnt even arrived. Its been documented elsewhere that they had a big crew of skins in tow. They undoubtedly had big numbers down, but had they tried to storm the Covered End with us in it, then I doubt they would have taken it in my opinion. We had faced down much bigger crews, such as Pompey and Sunderland and our lot took it to them after the game down by the Antigallican and at the Train station.

Cardiff tried to take the Covered end, the following season....before the game and again at half time, but didnt succeed. After the game our lot ran them down past the Antigallican and they turned onto Woolwich Road, heading towards Woolwich....they then ran right into the little road with the railway tunnel and came face to face with the rest of our lot coming from the Covered end. Probably gave them the biggest hiding they ever had.......Allegedly.

Also from a fading memory, Bubbles was from Bexleyheath. The Welling skins came along in the very late seventies, a few of my school mates were involved, including one that was a Hammer and another that turned to Millwall eventually.

Anyone recall the bust up on Floyd Road with Forest around 77/78?

Leicester took the Covered End I think in 71...we lost 1-5

QPR had a go in about 68/69 ish from the east Terrace side, I only recall it as my Aunt and Uncles removed me from the Covered End due to the punch up.....I was only a kid :)

Also the Chant used to go up after a succesful defence of our end..."You''ll never take the Covered End"

• edited December 2012
    Anyone remember the walk to QPR...Hello Woolworths we're Charlton and it's freeby time. Oh dear, I'm so respectful now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers Tel - was very young then, your right they did (Massives) turn up very early and fill the CE - and stayed there. Was never going to happen the next round vs Pompey, reckon the CE was full by 1.30 with 10,000 Pompey up the South.

Talking of QPR, I didn't go, heard we took the Loft in the league cup game we drew (when they were top of league) - their turnout in the 30,000 replay crowd was pathetic - one and only time I went to The Valley with my dad.
  • Tavern said:

I was also at the Les Gore one but I think the other one was when George Best guested for us, I remember him mugging the Arsenal defence on a number of occasions, their defenders were not happy and it got a bit niggley, just can't remember who's testimonial it was, think it may have been for Les Berry.

Remember being in the bar at half time when all the Gooners came past, good mob of em but they ended up getting battered.

I remember the Friday night coach. It was the 'agro' coach. I remember the Blackpool game. Also Udders and Cardiff away. Used to arrive back in the early hours of Sunday morning and Kip in shop doorways on Powis St until the 1st train came in. Unfortunately I missed the Boro game but my mates went and I heard all about the supporters club visit up there. The Boro lot seemed a really good bunch.
  • No-one's mentioned Spanker and his completely different brother Don yet? Stuart Morgan, stabbed in the back at Millwall? Kevin Croydon (Horse). Dave and Cliff Waldron. Kevin and Tony Hopkins. Steve Hopkins (not related). We really need a War Memorial!
  • I think its disgusting that you feel free to announce your gratification of mindless violence and acts of thugish behaviour

Do you not know that you couldve frightend people away from fixtures

Do tell me more 8 )

Great great great stories

• edited December 2012

No-one's mentioned Spanker and his completely different brother Don yet? Stuart Morgan, stabbed in the back at Millwall? Kevin Croydon (Horse). Dave and Cliff Waldron. Kevin and Tony Hopkins. Steve Hopkins (not related). We really need a War Memorial!

Knew of Stuart Morgan bit older than me remember him plus mates (no fear) going wading into a load of Millwall at the Den around about the time of a policeman being murdered by the notorious Harry Roberts in a bungled robbery of a jewellers in Blackpool. Also knew Chrissy Barber who decided he'd had enough and stormed into the Norwich fans to our left in their end on an way trip in the late sixties as well as Graham Ellis. Also remember an away trip to Ipswich around this time involving a tour of their Woolworths :-) Not really Covered End memories more a case of Covered End on tour. Also remember a big lad called Chris Slattery ?
  • Ah......The Covered End! That tatty steel shed with concrete steps and steel crash barriers(well, until they put bloody seats in it) where I spent a hell of a lot of my younger days. Always arrived very early on a Saturday for when the turnstiles opened at 1.30pm. Only lived up on Springfield Grove so it was only a short walk down the hill. Evening games used to get there about 7.15pm. Loved the floodlit games in those days!

One of my best was the Stoke City League Cup game, unbelievable atmosphere that night when we thought we had earned a replay after being 0.2 down only for them to nick it in the very last minute with a penalty from a young Garth Crooks.

Loved watching the place come to life as the build up to the game started and the singing got going. All of your mates turning up. Eating a pie from downstairs and a packet of ready salted crisps in those white packets(did they actually sell any other flavours?)

Getting someone older to buy us a beer at half time down in the bar and joining in with all of the older lot.

The smell of hamburgers and cigarette smoke wafting through the place and the sound of "Programs) or "Roasted peanuts, get your roasted peanuts" as the nut seller struggled to make his way through the crowds.

Always looking at how many away fans were coming in and getting nervous as kick-off time approached. Booing the opposition team as they came out and sending out a huge roar for the mighty Reds when they emerged. The singing and atmosphere now really building for the game.

The singing, the surging, the sense of belonging to something were what drove people on to keep coming back no matter how the team were performing.

Remember the buzz going around with people talking about the previous weeks away game and whether it kicked of for not. Or planning the next weeks away game and the meeting points.

Looking out and judging the size of the crowd by how many fans were on the East Terrace. The team kicking towards our end in the 2nd half, cranking up the atmosphere another notch or two. The banter between the different parts of the end and all leaving as one seething mass.

It seems like yesterday when I used to stand in the beloved Covered End and the friends I made back then in the 70`s and still see today make it all worthwhile.

It was all a long time ago and there were plenty of ups and downs and a few scary moments and depressing times as a whole for the club but given the chance I would give anything to be able to go back and do the whole thing again!

The memory of The Covered End will never fade for those who were lucky enough to know her!

• edited December 2012
    What about the Lils ? two brothers from Eltham i think. Last time i saw the taller of the two (15 years ago ish) he was in the ground with a pint glass full on neat Vodka. Saw him being marched out later.

Agro Dad

Big Pat from Plumpstead ---- who im sure is now" Haystacks" one of the old West Ham ICF. Asked a well known face from WHU about this he says Haystacks name isnt Pat but when i said he had a huge mop of hair---we looked at a recent photo and well well Haystacks has a huge mop of hair ?

the two Bernies

Kelvin C always looked the best dressed, loved the cutlery (his son posts on here).

Tom the Head now Smallwall

Jenkins total loon and his wife was worse !!

Mark / John who paint sprayed Falconwood station it was there for decades.

The thing is during most (if not all of the above memories) CAFC were total shit. The ground was kak. Yet we kept going.

The Gooners never existed in the 70s it was an 80s game they got ran on the pitch. That mob become the Herd and the top face who was there that day died in a car crash in France a few years back.

• Anyone remember the walk to QPR...Hello Woolworths we're Charlton and it's freeby time. Oh dear, I'm so respectful now.

Yep.
    I've been unable to post as my keyboard was ferked but I've got a new computer now.
    @Tel, we must be known to each other a we seem to have been in all the same places at the same times!
    Regarding the axe. Forest definately had an axeman at the Friday night game when they got in the covered end. They were a hard bunch who carried it on in the RoD and the Broom (Pickwick) until well late.
    For those a bit uncomfortable with the violence side of things, 99% was chasing, getting chased and generally shouting a lot. Actually going toe to toe with someone was pretty rare.
    Worst experiences were anything to do with Millwall and best when everyone turned out.
  • ThatBrighton incident was when we went down on that awful Leauge

Sheff Weds did take the CE, they got there really early and we spent the whole game attacking them from the stairwells behind the CE and they got done afterwards outside. Cardiff never took the CE, first game of the season, they brought loads down (the year of the big drought, 1976) and came on the pitch to be met by some of us on the pitch. Kicked off after and we came out OK.