Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This police 'punching' incident

Sky News report

Yet again, livid at this one. If you're vandalising a car, being aggressive and resisting arrest, then you deserve what you get for the OB to bring you under control.

It's no surprise that the race card has also been waved.....

Comments

• The question is whether the policeman used reasonable force to subdue and arrest her or decided once she was under control to mete out a bit of instant punishment for giving him grief. As the blows were to the arm not the head (apparently) I'm inclined to think it was the latter and give the policeman concerned a bit of a bollocking and leave it at that.

As for the race angle, who knows whether that had any part in the policeman's actions or not.
  • She said an epileptic fit may have caused her to thrash around whilst they were trying to arrest her. Really? Nothing to do with the fact you were hysterical after being thrown out of the club and then vandalising a car, then had the hump at being arrested.
  • I am not 100% sure what to think.

On the one hand I think the police should be judged to the same standards (at least) as the rest of us and should not get away with it.

On the other hand the cctv shows only part of the incident, presumably her behaviour prior to this point has not been caught on camera (or the cynically minded would say - not been released). The cctv is not conclusive as to where the officer is striking the girl and shows no view as to whether or not she was violent towards the officer prior to this point. She did appear to be struggling when the four officers attempted to put take her away though.

As for it being a race issue. I can't judge but the cctv shows nothing to prove it.
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]I am not 100% sure what to think.

On the other hand the cctv shows only part of the incident, presumably her behaviour prior to this point has not been caught on camera (or the cynically minded would say - not been released).

Exactly. Has it been said why she was thrown out of the club in the first place? And the police weren't called until after she started vandalising the car. She resists arrest (or has an epileptic fit if you beleive what she says), so an officer punches her on the arm to get her into cuffs. I'm with Medders on this one, it winds me up and i can't beleive she's played the race card!
  • "Has it been said why she was thrown out of the club in the first place?"

Apparently for being drunk and disorderly.

I suspect it's her lawyer who is playing the race card.
  • bbc have cctv alongside the story. looks bad but seems reasonable if she was having a fit and they were struggling to subdue her.the conclusion that she was a beered up prick is easy to draw.
  • Yeah it is probably the lawyer playing the race card, I very much doubt it is irrelevant here.
    The officer was probably hitting her on the arm - in which case he seems to have been a little over zealous perhaps but not exactly brutal.
  • Hitting her on the arm? Surely everyone knows that a Chinese burn is more effective in those circumstances...
  • [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Hitting her on the arm? Surely everyone knows that a Chinese burn is more effective in those circumstances...

Or a Curb_it headlock...

Been watching the Sky coverage in the gym, and the father has said he either wants the officer sacked, or some compensation. Am I right to assume he means he wants his daughter to compensate the owner of the car she damaged?
  • Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of this individual case it is a poor indictment of the society in which we live that it has become a national issue in the media.

Something is badly wrong with a society in which firstly there is so little public confidence in the police that people assume police brutality. Secondly it is also sad that it is assumed the attack is rascist because the woman is black.

The police have done themselves no favours in the past though so cannot be totally surprised at this reaction.

The police urgently need to regain (or in some cases gain) the confidence and respect of all members of society regardless of ethnic origin.

The vast majority of decent, law abiding folk of all colours and creeds need to see violent criminals arrested and punished whatever their ethnic origin.
  • Sponsored links:

• If it's the girl or the father claiming it's racist then they need to be careful. The officers could easily go for slander if they are publicly accussed of being racist/
  • i don't care whether they or black or white, as a police officer, you do not need to "punch" anyone in the arm or head. Do you really think that gets taught in their training?

Besides, there were 4 officers present, i'm sure all four men could have subdued a young girl without having to resort to smacking her on the arm five times
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Besides, there were 4 officers present, i'm sure all four men could have subdued a young girl without having to resort to smacking her on the arm five times

well you would have thought so,but after she took the tumble she could quite easily have had a fit and maybe the constables were not properly trained for that.
  • What a total waste of everyone's time and money.

Someone's caught a whiff of compo in the air and we get this. Absolute bleedin joke.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Besides, there were 4 officers present, i'm sure all four men could have subdued a young girl without having to resort to smacking her on the arm five times

well you would have thought so,but after she took the tumble she could quite easily have had a fit and maybe the constables were not properly trained for that.

so you should punch them should you? Even i know that if you see someone having a fit you should let them be.
  • Oh come on, she was pissed - has admitted as much. Give her a good right hander I say.

Honestluy, some people ...........
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i don't care whether they or black or white, as a police officer, you do not need to "punch" anyone in the arm or head. Do you really think that gets taught in their training?

Besides, there were 4 officers present, i'm sure all four men could have subdued a young girl without having to resort to smacking her on the arm five times

Apparently they do get taught that in their training, punching in the arm is a diversionary tactic. Would it have been acceptable if he'd hit her with a police issue baton then?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Besides, there were 4 officers present, i'm sure all four men could have subdued a young girl without having to resort to smacking her on the arm five times

so you should punch them should you? Even i know that if you see someone having a fit you should let them be.

Have you ever seen someone having a fit? There's no way someone having a fit would be able to vandalise a car!
  • edited March 2007
    fits don't last for several hours.she had the fit after bundling down the stairs.prior to that she was a pissed up slapper thrashing around,down the stairs she was a pisssed up epileptic,thrashing around until restrained.i don't think the police noticed the difference amongst the fracas.the fit ends and she in in the cells.
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i don't care whether they or black or white, as a police officer, you do not need to "punch" anyone in the arm or head. Do you really think that gets taught in their training?

Apparently they do get taught that in their training, punching in the arm is a diversionary tactic. Would it have been acceptable if he'd hit her with a police issue baton then?

not five times no
  • Sponsored links:

• I am just disappointed that he stopped at 5.................
  • edited March 2007
    its sad that the police have to use such force to restrain someone. i always wonder if these people genuinely think they can get away from 4 fully grown men, she looked quite small on the film, and it is hard to imagine how 4 guys couldn't restrain her, but she was giving up a feisty fight, not many of us have been in that situation, giving or receiving so its hard to work out how hard/easy it is to restrain a feisty drunk person.

i've seen someone have an epileptic fit, and you normally know as they look pretty vacant, i'm sure the other officers woud have thought something untoward was going on, even if one didn't notice it was an epileptic fit. seems to me, that she was gutted she got caught the young horrible drunk and is trying to get some money out of it.

the "don't remember any of the incident" is totally unbelievable too. i've never been that drunk to forget what i've done in an evening, but i'm sure its a pretty sobering experience, trying to nick a car, falling down some stairs and being restrained by 4 grown men.
  • Spot on Suzi
  • she and her mate went round her dad's house and drank a bottle of brandy before going out.. she said she cant remember much of being in the club or being thrown out. tho she did state that they didnt quite finish off the whole of the bottle.
  • that was nice of her to leave some for her dad! she looks like a right little oik who's trying to screw the system. what a waste of time and money for all involved.

they should be praised for preventing her for nicking whatever she was trying to nick.