Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Perry

one of my favourite latter Premiership years players - where is he now?

Comments

• A coach at Dagenham and Redbridge,you can follow him on twitter.
  • reckon we let him go a season too early, was he released by Dowie?
  • I agree with Oakster - I was baffled when we let him go.
  • Saga Lout said:

I agree with Oakster - I was baffled when we let him go.

Yes, we let him go and brought in Simon 'Sent Off' Walton for 1 million and Soulemayne "The Master of Disaster" Diawarra for about 3 million.

Happy days.
  • I liked Diawara. And that Sorondo fella who barely played.
  • Diawara was good. So were Carson (and Rob Green who he tried to buy) and Reid.

Walton was a shambles and, possibly, the worst signing of the lot. You could at least explain his thought pattern with regards to Faye and Hasselbaink. Even decisions like keeping James Walker on made sense. But not the Walton purchase.
  • Loved The Rash.
  • Didn't help him that he starred in the trademark Curbishley end of season slump in his last season with us...
  • Can't believe there are so many Diawara fans on here! I thought he was a disaster - his performance in the 0-3 loss at Wigan was as bad as I have seen - they scored from two goal kicks which sailed over his head and their striker scored, it was amateur hour.

By the end of the season even Pardew had lost faith and was playing Elk and HH, Diawara is a good player in Europe but not the right type of defender for English football, far too vulnerable in the air.

Anyway, we all have different views!
  • I was lucky enough to interview him last year, when I was blogging.

He now coaches Dag & Red youth. Curbs verbally agreed with him, that he would get a new contract at the end of the season.

Dowie came in, an said any player over 30 who was out of contract is not part of his plans. He was devastated.

He also was born in Carshalton, and hates Palace surprisingly!!
  • Sponsored links:

• _nam11 said:

I was lucky enough to interview him last year, when I was blogging.

He now coaches Dag & Red youth. Curbs verbally agreed with him, that he would get a new contract at the end of the season.

Dowie came in, an said any player over 30 who was out of contract is not part of his plans. He was devastated.

Bloody hell, I cannot believe Dowie was dumb enough to say that.
  • Can't believe there are so many Diawara fans on here! I thought he was a disaster - his performance in the 0-3 loss at Wigan was as bad as I have seen - they scored from two goal kicks which sailed over his head and their striker scored, it was amateur hour.

By the end of the season even Pardew had lost faith and was playing Elk and HH, Diawara is a good player in Europe but not the right type of defender for English football, far too vulnerable in the air.

Anyway, we all have different views!

Gloves in August. Enough said.

• _nam11 said:

I seem to remember hearing that at the time - what a plonker Dowie was/is.
  • Saga Lout said:

_nam11 said:

I seem to remember hearing that at the time - what a plonker Dowie was/is.
    The thing is that it probably sounded quite good to us at the time because the squad was stale and there was a bit of dead wood around the place, but to have an arbitrary cut off of 30 years old is crazy.

Look at the great value we have had from players 30+ over the last decade, Di Canio, Powell and Costa to name just a few.
  • Did you do the interview in the Bull St Pauls Cray Nathan.
  • Dowie was good
  • Really enjoyed that read nam.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBdrulJOGmw

one of his best moments - right at the end of this video
  • Thanks Curb It...appreciate it!

Northstandsteve, no it wasn't, my work mate is friends with his wife.
  • Sponsored links:

• By some strange coincidence I do believe Chris Perry was a guest on Talksport tonight.
  • Saga Lout said:

Yes, we let him go and brought in Simon 'Sent Off' Walton for 1 million and Soulemayne "The Master of Disaster" Diawarra for about 3 million.

Happy days.
    Cracked up at the disaster comment, and agree with the sentiment. He was a crock of shite.
  • Saga Lout said:

Happy days.
    Cracked up at the disaster comment, and agree with the sentiment. He was a crock of shite.
    Shamelessly stole it from Rocky IV, Apollo Creed was announced as The Master of Disaster - just before getting beaten to death by Ivan Drago!
  • Diawarra had a couple of really bad games, didn't see Wigan, but watched the Notts Forrest cup game live on the net. I'd rather judge a players' abilities on their overall contribution rather than one or two "off" games.
    Towards the end he was really starting to show his class. I saw him live on about five occasions and he was a rock on the ground and in the air. I think he had some problems with his positional sense in the early part of his Charlton career, he's proving what a good defender he is now. As for Perry for a player of his size, having such a long and successful career in a position where height is vital, say's it all about what a superb defender he was.
  • Diwarra I always felt was capable and reliable

He had issues that needed resolving allegedly but I remember watching him thinking he is the real deal more times than I thought he was shite
  • Spot on Queensland.

As for Perry. He was one of those I wasn't really impressed with at first but over time began to love him and really appreciate what he did for us. Seemed like a decent bloke as well.
  • Letting Perry go was the thing that signalled to me that things were going to go from mediocre to bad to worse. Dowie = ar5e.
  • Always remember Perry marking Crouch out the game when we played Liverpool once although he must have been nearly a foot shorter.
  • Diwarra I always felt was capable and reliable

He had issues that needed resolving allegedly but I remember watching him thinking he is the real deal more times than I thought he was shite

cant help but think people are drawing their opinion of him from his success now
  • No, I thought Diawara looked as though he definitely had the ability in him but was just playing in a very disjointed and poorly led side.

Perry was a great defender. Would put himself in front of everything and get an absolute kicking most games but always carried out without fuss.