Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Europa League

Taking into account the standing of the competion, the amount of football on offer this time of year, the weather and the economic climate I was brought up to believe by my national media that the definition of passion was to support Newcastle. The meaning of support was being from Newcastle and that they attract players due to the fact that they are guaranteed 50,000 week in week out.

22,000 there last night, now I know we didnt sell out for Anglo Italian Cup Games back in the day but then we dont own the tag "best fans in the world ever and no one else would understand"

Comments

• Seems a reasonable crowd for the second class European competition, a bit like us and the COC
  • Red Scouse have had some very poor ones in the past too, despite the fact that many of their 'supporters' whinge about not being able to get tickets.
  • Newcastle fans are always at their most passionate when their doing well. The media perpetuates the myth that they're some kind of superfans because there's always a mass of overweight mouthbreathers shuffling around the ground wearing shirts whenever they sign a new player/manager/tea-lady, which comes form them having plently of folk with time on their hands between the end of Kyle and the start of I'm a Celebrity.
  • Its a very reasonable crowd but my point is we have been sold the fact that they are not just reasonable supporters - if I had a £1 for every pundit/media bod that uses the throwaway line "guaranteed 50,000 week in week out" I have always argued that the addicks loosing ruins my weekend as much as any Geordie with Jackie Milburn tattood on their back its just reassuring that they are human after all.
  • Newcastle fans are always at their most passionate when their doing well. The media perpetuates the myth that they're some kind of superfans because there's always a mass of overweight mouthbreathers shuffling around the ground wearing shirts whenever they sign a new player/manager/tea-lady, which comes form them having plently of folk with time on their hands between the end of Kyle and the start of I'm a Celebrity.

Spot on Morts!!

Because they all wear a replica kit to each game means they are the most passionate fans in the country!
  • I think it is a decent question

In the same competition, my second team Viktoria Plzen have completely sold out their stadium for all three group games. Now admittedly, their stadium even after the rebuild only holds 12,000, but then you have to consider that the city has a population of 170,000, and one of the glamour ties was against Hapoel Tel Aviv.

But in the end I think it is down to the over-hype of the Premier League and Champs league. It makes the Europa league look second class, whereas here it is still something of an honour to be in the Europa League especially at this stage

Viktorka have already qualified, so I'm hoping they draw a British club. The chances are quite high as there will be several Champs league failures from Britain in there.
  • edited November 2012
    That's poor from Newcastle, "second rate" European competition or not, it's about as good as they can hope for for the foreseeable future. £15 adults £5 kids and seniors. Absolutely pathetic in my opinion. At least Liverpool and Spurs have got the excuse of ticket prices being at similar to league match levels.
  • What i don't get is why teams who are not going to qualify for the champions league (ie. Newcastle and Liverpool) don't take this competition seriously. Effectively they are resting players for the league so they can try to finish as high as possible and qualify for this competition again next season. Bizarre that the team with the most realistic CL qualification hope (Spurs) are the side taking it seriously.
  • That's poor from Newcastle, "second rate" European competition or not, it's about as good as they can hope for for the foreseeable future. £15 adults £5 kids and seniors. Absolutely pathetic in my opinion. At least Liverpool and Spurs have got the excuse of ticket prices being at similar to league match levels.

Levy charges £20 adults, £5 U16s and OAPs at Spurs. Still cant sell out the Europa League games despite selling out every home league game since god knows when. With them prices, you take on board that there's a good chance AVB wont play his first choice available side. But it doesnt exactly capture the interest, does it?

Sadly, UEFA have ruined the competition in my eyes. Back in the old days when we beat Wolves and Anderlect at WHL to win the UEFA Cup, it was a special competition. Why on earth do we have to have this league bullsh*t now? Money and sponsorship, pure and simple. Should go back to its original straight knockout format, over two legs, then the clubs would sell out more often than not. The only way of making the competition viable is by allocating a place in the CL knockout stages to the winners. However, that doesnt make it right either.

UEFA moan about the financial clout of Man Utd/City and Chelsea but had they not created the CL monster in the first place, we wouldnt be in this position now.

• I don't like how the top teams that don't qualify from the group stages for the knockout rounds of the Champions League go straight into the Europa League knockout rounds. Takes the piss out of the teams that qualified in the Europa League and then get knocked out by a team that wasn't even in the competition to start with.

I find that the quality of football is sometimes a lot more entertaining in the Europa League. I found the Liverpool game great to watch last night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Newcastle is not a rich area. Many fans are having to pick and choose their games. Who would you rather go see on a cold midweek night .. Hapol Tel Aviv (say) or Chelsea/Man U/Arsenal?. Many fans don't give a hoot about second division european football, and who can blame them.
    Off topic, Gateshead, just across the Tyne are in the Conference Premier. The average gate there is about 450
  • JohnBoy UK

Great post. Only thing to add is that UEFA make it worse by making the Europa League way less moneyspinning than the Champs league. I am sure many FAPL clubs will claim early round games are loss-makers.

Lincs

I can assure you that Newcastle still enjoys a higher standard of living than Plzen, and the nights are just as cold and dark. So they will have to do better than that for an excuse.
  • JohnBoy UK

Great post. Only thing to add is that UEFA make it worse by making the Europa League way less moneyspinning than the Champs league. I am sure many FAPL clubs will claim early round games are loss-makers.

Lincs

I can assure you that Newcastle still enjoys a higher standard of living than Plzen, and the nights are just as cold and dark. So they will have to do better than that for an excuse.

Much better looking birds in Plzen though, eh Prague ?
  • JohnBoy UK

Lincs

Oh yes. I was going to write that, but it doesnt really support my case :-) You get a few at the game but I suspect they are WAGS, whereas back in the pub your smiling waitress will probably be at least a 7 (and of course a 9 in three beers time...)

• they're beginning to get on Pardews back too
  • How much is a ticket to a Plzen game though?
  • How much is a ticket to a Plzen game though?

Surprisingly high. Cheapest is £25, highest is £38.

League games are way cheaper, only £4 and £5

Go figure...i haven't
  • And as I just typed that, Ars*nal have just signed a £150m 5 year deal with Emirates for Shirt Sponsorship and Naming Rights.

JohnBoy UK

Lincs

Christ, not much competition with the birds on the Tottenham High Road ;-)