Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boozers on the Southbank

Me and a few pals are off for our annual pub crawl in a few Fridays time. This year The Southbank came out of the hat. Not been on the pi55 along there for quite some time.
Any yays or Nays??

Comments

• Options
    Doggetts by Blackfriars Bridge is ok.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The Kings arms on roupel street is a pretty decent pub, nice street as well. not right on the river just a 1min away from waterloo station.

same with the rose and crown on colombo street.

the mulberry bush just behind the itv studios.

national theater has a bar which aint bad at the top.

doggets by blackfriars bridge and the founders arms just a bit further on. both on the river.

• Options
    The Founders Arms must be close to £6 a pint now (if not over) for anything other than Fosters/Carling. Always seems to take a week to get served as well, especially on a Friday night.

Avoid the Old Thameside Inn (right on the river) also for the above reason.

Always thought Doggets was pretty average.

The Rose and Crown on Colombo Street is a good shout and the White Hart on Great Suffolk Street is my personal favourite.

As Karim said there aren't that many pubs right on the river but loads around 1/4 mile south.
  • Options
    Mulberry Bush is a nice pub...bang opposite London TV Studios.
  • Options
    Mudlark on Montague Place under London Bridge.

The Anchor on Bank End

2 I've drunk in regularly. Always found them pretty good.
  • Options
    The Anchor is possibly the shittest pub in Llondon - albeit in a great location. Seriosly, avoid like the plague unless its compleyely empty.

The Thameside is much the same now - maybe not quite as bad.

Check out The Lord Clyde, not far off the beaten and a real gem.

• Options
    A few old favourites there, especially the Kings Arms and the Rose and Crown. Went to both last year and although much changed from when I used to go there many years ago, both highly recommended.

The Horniman near London Bridge is right on the river.

• Options
    Off_it said:

The Anchor is possibly the shittest pub in Llondon

Seriously? I think there are boozers far, far worse than the Anchor. I refer the right honorable gentleman to his comment on the Worst Pub thread regarding the Bodicea at Charing Cross (or whatever it's now called!).

• Options
    Nope the anchor lacks everything an empty hole like a spoons
  • Options
    Oh ok. I'm clearly wrong then...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

The Anchor is possibly the shittest pub in Llondon - albeit in a great location. Seriosly, avoid like the plague unless its compleyely empty.

The Thameside is much the same now - maybe not quite as bad.

Check out The Lord Clyde, not far off the beaten and a real gem.

Nice little boozer that.
  • Options
    I'd agree with Offy about the Anchor, horrible.

Mudlark or the Horniman for me. The best in that neck of the woods is the Rake in Boroughmarket - a beer lovers heaven. Also quite like Katzjammers on Southwark Street (german bierkeller)
  • Options
    Anchor is a craphole. Manager is a complete twat.
  • Options
    Horniman is decent at London Bridge, just gets a bit busy!!!
  • Options
    Don't forget the Market Porter, slight detour from the riverbank but well worth it.
  • Options

Don't forget the Market Porter, slight detour from the riverbank but well worth it.

Can't stand that place. Normally full of fat old men in suits clogging up the bar.

I much prefer to recline on the patio area in Brew Wharf with a bottle of Quilmes and a platter of some sort.

• Options
    Last time I was at the Hornimans they asked people at the bar to form a queue, so we left and went to the Shipbuilders.
    The Anchor is expensive and you always have to wait ages to get served.
    Used to do a pub crawl along the river from Hornimans to Doggetts via the Globe, Market Porter, the Anchor and the Founders.
  • Options
    Is Normas bar still there?
  • Options
    If Charlton lose on the day, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES eat in the Oxo tower and tweet about it - you will be ostracised forever.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

If Charlton lose on the day, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES eat in the Oxo tower and tweet about it - you will be ostracised forever.

Ha.
    Some chance!
    Might have a piss round the back of it though. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    near borough market is bunch of grapes ,nice beer garden and heated, southwark tavern is good, nice basement vaults type thing.
  • Options
    The Lord Nelson on Union Street is a good boozer
  • Options
    P_Air said:

Off_it said:

Seriously? I think there are boozers far, far worse than the Anchor. I refer the right honorable gentleman to his comment on the Worst Pub thread regarding the Bodicea at Charing Cross (or whatever it's now called!).

Haven't been in the Boadicea since they did it up - although I can't imagine it's any better.

The main problem with The Anchor is that it's such a disappointment. Superb location, great looking place, loads of outside space, etc.

I've been back there plenty of times in the hope its improved, but its always a shocker. Such a shame. Gives British pubs a really bad name, not that the millions of tourists in there the whole time seem to mind. They must rake in a fortune there.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

P_Air said:

Off_it said:

Haven't been in the Boadicea since they did it up - although I can't imagine it's any better.

The main problem with The Anchor is that it's such a disappointment. Superb location, great looking place, loads of outside space, etc.

I've been back there plenty of times in the hope its improved, but its always a shocker. Such a shame. Gives British pubs a really bad name, not that the millions of tourists in there the whole time seem to mind. They must rake in a fortune there.
    I 100% agree with all of the above and you are right they must rake in a fortune but seriously, with the right people in charge it could easily make triple what it does now.

• Options
    Basically the south bank pub crawl is for foreign tourists. A bit dull and very expensive. Better off in the City, same price, but more real.
  • Options
    Bodicea on Charing Cross station is now The Beer House....better but very expensive.
  • Options

The Lord Nelson on Union Street is a good boozer

Odd little gaff that place, get in there now & again. That sort of area is alright for a few pubs, Christophers, Union Jack, Ring, Clyde etc.
  • Options
    http://visitbankside.com/section/eating-drinking/pubs

http://visitbankside.com/section/eating-drinking/bars

The George is worth a visit just for the building. Not a big drinker I'm afraid so have no recommendations on best beer etc.!
  • Options

Bodicea on Charing Cross station is now The Beer House....better but very expensive.

Prefer the POW on Villiers Street, used to like the Griffin for bird watching from the big windows facing Villiers, and of course the famous moosehead serving pub around the corner where we used to meet for London away games (the name escapes me)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    'famous moosehead serving pub' was the St Martins Tavern. Called something else now. In southbank the Kings Arms on Roupel Street, near waterloo and The George off Borough High Street, are both very good shouts; in between those, plenty of choices. Personally like the Charles Dickens on Union Street. All these are a little way inland from the river though.