Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Save Lewisham A&E

Comments

• I reckon kev might just know more than u

When Enfield loses its a and e we have to go to barnet hospital or north mid when my little girl was sick and was only six months old the fact that I could get her in an ambulance with its blues on within 5 mons made a huge difference to me as I was In a mess

To do the journey to those two hospitals would've taken 15 mins or 25 mins that is the difference between a tragedy and just a problem

Closing a and e services due to budget issues and financial problems when we are paying millions if not billions on fit and healthy people to not work is something you should consider especially in your own personal situation

Yes the country wastes billions on all sorts of things that we shouldn't but your contribution to the free health care you receive including free prescriptions

Should make you stop spouting nonsense
  • I don't understand why we don't adopt a different approach with the NHS, times have changed so much since it first started. Maybe a few hospitals should be privatised to see if it has any impact on the way it is run, see if those hospitals still lose money.

Certain things shouldn't be "free" anymore like people who turn up at A&E completely wasted needing their stomach pumped because jagerbombs were only £2.50 or people who use drugs like cocaine/heroine. I don't think we should turn people away but we should priotise certain issues.

Before the abuse starts about how I don't know anything I spent two weeks in hospital with my ex girlfriends mum dying from lung cancer. I am not going to name the hospital but it was in Kent. The first day she went into A&E she was forgotting about and left for hours until the doctors realised she was their, she was moved up to a wing and put into a private room I would say 2 out of the 10 nurses were helpful the rest didn't give a shit. She was later moved down to a ward because the room she was in was being taken up by someone else. The first night she was in the ward she fell over in the toilet and left on the floor for 20 mins before the nurse came back to help her up. Once it was decided that her time was up she was moved to a private hospice which has nota much funding from the goverment for her what become last five days and it was amazing I couldn't thank the nurses at the hospice enough. They let us stay at the hospice and helped us overcome the death.

I think the people who run the hospice if giving the chance to do the same at a hospital could change it for the better, yeah there could well be job cuts but it would help a failing system.

If you comment on my opinion please make it worthwhile nothing worst then a five year olds response of "your a prick" or "thatcher lover"

• I honestly think Nathan must be a joke account. The ludicrousness of his comments in this thread contrasted with the shite he has come up with in the jobs thread make me sure he must be on a windup......
  • Cllr Liam Curran ‏@CllrCurran
    @savelewishamae Hoping for a huge turnout for Wednesday 28th Nov public rally at Lewisham's Broadway Theatre
  • My boss mentioned that the protest made the news and he lives in Surrey. Great stuff!
  • Clare Griffiths ‏@clogsilk
    Response of Lewisham councillors to the A&E threat - pic.twitter.com/xysit27Y Response in Greenwich - change needs to happen... #SaveLewishamAE
  • edited November 2012
    MOG how do we pay for getting rid of the PFI contracts ?

It will cost £100z of millions of pounds to get the NHS (and schools) out of these deals.

Its the primay cause of the debt that hospitals are facing and the buy out clauses are horrific.

Written by the same guys who wrote Pardews contracts.

either we find away of paying to get out or
    we CHARGE EVERYONE non UK a higher level of NI contributions or some other way but it will take huge amount of money to get out of this mess.

Before the right on Guardianistas give it loads your own Labour Party fully supported PFI for 13 years.

I hope you win the battle for Lewisham but it will move somewhere else and then somewhere else unless the route causee is tackled.
  • Not "my" Labour party GH,
    Haven't voted for them since they become "New Labour".
    (Un)fortunetly I'm not a politican with The Answers. Sorry.
    Just wonder how an area the size of Lewisham (& many others) can cope without an "A&E" hospital: Simple answer it can't.
    This is why I ask to people to attend these meetings, to see what WE can do.
  • edited November 2012
    @Goonerhater shit! Agree totally that the cause of this is PFI and Labour introduced this. However, the problem is there and the problem is now and there is a need to take a strategic view at the resolution to the problem not a series of one off actions, such as the Lewisham A&E, taxing Non UK's etc. The issue is that politicians of all persuasions are short termist and tunnel visioned and do not look at the big picture.
  • SaveLewishamA&E ‏@SaveLewishamAE
    Lewisham's senior A&E staff say TSA report 'based on...incorrect figures and assumptions, it.. cannot be relied upon' http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/lewisham-emergency-department-says-no/
  • Sponsored links:

Tomorrow, 7pm, public meeting, broadway theatre! Dr john lister is worth hearing http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/public-meeting/ + lewisham hospital workers' rally 1pm
  • Here is a facebook event to respond to the TSA consulation... Tick tock, tick tock: http://www.facebook.com/events/551689138178166/ … #savelewishamae
    we need even more support for campaign if we hope to win. Tell your friends, family, neighbours, work colleagues #SaveLewishamHospital
  • Darryl ‏@darryl1974
    Lewisham Hospital: Will the real Labour Party please stand up? http://wp.me/plVfU-3Ty #999SOSLondon #SaveLewishamAE
  • abi moore ‏@abigailmoore
    #lewisham people, I've filled in the consultation questionnaire on the closure of our A&E have you? http://www.tsa.nhs.uk/tell-us-what-you-think@SaveLewishamAE
    Retweeted by SaveLewishamA&E
  • Lewisham Arthouse ‏@ArthouseNews
    Dont forget we have til Thurs 2 respond 2 consultation & save Lewisham HospitalA&E @SaveLewishamAE have helpful guide http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/how-to-respond-to-tsa/
    Retweeted by SaveLewishamA&E
  • Darryl ‏@darryl1974
    If Nick Raynsford can defend Lewisham Hospital, so can you http://wp.me/plVfU-3VD #SaveLewishamAE
    Retweeted by Clare Griffiths
  • Sponsored links:

• Hither Green ‏@HGweek
    You can respond to Lewisham hospital consultation until midnight tonight http://buff.ly/SBAb5j http://buff.ly/SBAcq1 #SaveLewishamAE
  • Be careful if you respond to the consultation, it is written in such a way as to imply support for closure if you answer with things like agreeing that NHS services should be improved. There are details on how to respond at http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/ so as not to end up answering the leading questions the way they are designed to be answered.
    As for PFI, I'm not a Labour supporter, but it was originally introduced by John Major. Labour took it up big time. Osborne criticised it and said he would drop it, but is carrying on. It's basically a scam (covered in depth in Private Eye but not much anywhere else) that means the taxpayer pays far more than straight borrowing costs, so that the PFI company can make profits for taking the risk. Of course the risk is not really there, as it's the state borrowing, not Portsmouth FC. Personally, I think the PFI hospitals shuold be nationalised with minimal compensation.
  • Thanks for the heads up guys. Took ages to fill out and just got it submitted before midnight. (23.59.??) LOL
    The proposal is a joke, but what do you expect from consultants who were richly rewarded to come up with a solution based on fixing the results of the problem.

Definition of a consultant. Someone who knows hundreds of different ways to make love but doesn't know any women (or men - dependent on sex and orientation)
  • I think the director of Children's Services at Lewisham is a bit pissed off.
    http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/director-of-childrens-services-personal-response/
    If you can't be arsed to wade through all of it, skip to the sections on Misleading arguments on emergency services and Consultation with clinicians - you can almost hear the steam coming out of his ears,
  • They have made the official response on tinternet so convuluted, obscure and difficult that they will certainly skew the results of the consultation to look good for those who wish to slash and burn the health services in the south east of London. The whole quadrant of our huge city have all got to converge on Woolwich for a&e, what is supposed to happen if there was a major incident?
    This proposal is BAD BAD BAD, not good in the short, medium or the jam tomorrow long term. We are all divided politically on here, but surely to god we agree that any taxes we pay should support such a fundamental public service as a local accident and emergency.
    The people deciding this are not from our community....the head slasher and burner works out of Salisbury as far as I know.
    I curse them!
    New info 26 Jan demo/leaflet/how to help. People Lewisham/SE London march save Lew hospital/NHS http://bit.ly/SdKIqT pic.twitter.com/gHqu2qd8
  • Lewisham Labour ‏@lewishamlabour
    90% of those who responded to the proposed changes to urgent emergency care in Lewisham opposed the changes. @SaveLewishamAE
  • Political Animal ‏@politic_animal
    There'll be an urgent question on Lewisham A&E/maternity unit and the TSA's final report in House of Commons round about 1pm today.
    Retweeted by Clare Griffiths
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20944705
    A hospital trust which ran up debts of £150m should be dissolved, a report has concluded.

South London Healthcare NHS Trust, which runs three London hospitals, was placed in administration when it started losing about £1.3m a week.

A special administrator said the trust should be broken up, with other organisations taking over the management and delivery of services.

Lewisham's mayor urged the government to reject the "dangerous proposals".

Matthew Kershaw was appointed Trust Special Administrator in July and a public consultation was carried out throughout December.

In November thousands of people marched in protest at the plans which would involve the closure of maternity and A&E services at Lewisham hospital.

After filing his report on Monday, Mr Kershaw said: "I have said consistently that the status quo is not an option, and I believe these final, refined recommendations are the right ones, although I appreciate that some people will find them difficult to accept."

Radical overhaul
    But Mayor of Lewisham Sir Steve Bullock said: "These were seriously flawed proposals in draft and they remain seriously flawed and dangerous proposals.

"I feared all along that this process was set up to rush through ill-conceived proposals with no intention of listening to the views of local people, the people who use local health services and the people who work in our local health services."

He urged people to join a protest march in Lewisham on 26 January.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Where trusts face long-standing problems we have been clear that doing nothing is not an option”

Department of Health
    In an emergency question in the Commons, Lewisham MP Joan Ruddock said the report must not be used to justify closing essential hospital services.

She claimed the document was being used to force through a "major reconfiguration of services via the back door".

But Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he understood the concerns of people who would be affected by the proposals and would consider the report carefully.

If implemented fully, Mr Kershaw said his recommendations, which would result in a radical overhaul of services in south London, would help deliver "safe, high-quality, affordable and sustainable services... into the future".

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital site in Woolwich would come together with Lewisham Healthcare NHS Trust to create a new organisation providing care for the communities of Greenwich and Lewisham.

The Princess Royal University Hospital in Farnborough, near Bromley, would be acquired by King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.

'Biggest financial problem'
    In conclusion, the report stated: "In order to deliver this transformation programme, South London Healthcare NHS Trust should be dissolved and other organisations should take over the management and delivery of the NHS services it currently provides."

It said South London Healthcare Trust remained the "biggest financial problem" across the NHS and its hospitals would need to make £74.9m of efficiency savings over the next three years.

Mr Kershaw recommended the Department of Health write off any debts to ensure new organisations were not "saddled with the issues of the past".

A DoH spokesman said: "Where trusts face long-standing problems we have been clear that doing nothing is not an option.

"It is crucial that patients in south-east London have high-quality health services that will last."

Mr Hunt has 20 working days to review the report and make a decision on the future of the NHS in south-east London by 1 February.