Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Save Lewisham A&E

Comments

• Options
    Anne Greensmith ‏@snowleopardess
    Why are @standardnews and @BBCNews misreporting the number who demonstrated to #SaveLewishamAE today? Lazy reporting or hidden agenda?
  • Options

Close it, they're all f*cking useless in there.

Or adopt the Queen Mary's approach and open it 8am-8pm

Were you dropped on your head as a child?
  • Options
    I sent this (rather rushed and clumsy) to Matthew Kershaw leading decision maker:

Dear Mr Kershaw,

I don’t know why I’m writing this because I believe that the decision regarding Lewisham hospital has already been made and the ‘consultation’ is simply going through the motions.
    The reason I think that, is because you yourself are quoted as saying: ‘We believe that the changes proposed will not only improve the quality of care for patients, they will ensure health services are sustainable for the people of South-East London in the long term.’ So it is a done deal where you can say hold tight and wait for the ‘long term’ and things will get better.

No one can possibly argue with a stance that says:

We’re in charge.
    We know what we’re doing.
    It will be good ‘in the long term’ wait and see.
    We will pretend to listen to local people, but if they can’t see the bigger picture, well what do you expect of the plebs (remember ‘we believe’ we’re right...and ha ha ha, we hold the power) plebs should know their place and be grateful we have even bothered to identify South East London on a map!
    You may suffer and die right now, but be assured there will be jam tomorrow.
    You may think that one fundamental about taxation and public services is a good local A&E department, but you’re wrong, you pay your money in to subsidise elections for Police Commissioners and so on, not to care for the people!

Mr Kershaw you have worked in the NHS since 1993 in Salisbury, I wonder if you have any idea about the reality of South East London, the geography, the logistics and the environment.
    Incidentally I note that health Minister Jeremy Hunt has NHS issues in his rich constituency in South West London, so it will be no surprise if people in my community are faced with the brutal shocking cuts at Lewisham, while leafy Kingston et al get away scot free. Isn’t Kingston on the drive out of London towards Salisbury?

So Mr Kershaw please tell me this. How would it be an improvement if a stroke victim living in Kirkdale (look it up) is taken by ambulance in an emergency to Woolwich rather than Lewisham? Do you know the roads, do you know the geography, do you know the traffic problems, the pinch points?
    How does the partner of the stroke victim support the patient in Woolwich when they live in Sydenham? How are they supposed to travel to and fro to Woolwich to support their loved one?
    I have lived in South East London for my whole life...but I bet you, and your advisors haven’t, and you have no clue whatsoever about travelling around the area.
    Lewisham AandE has been refurbished, and re opened. The trust around Lewisham have not blown the money like in Sidcup and Bromley, yet you propose they pay for the mistakes of others losses by closing Lewisham A&E. Ah but areas further out like Sidcup and Bromley are places that politically support the present government, but of course Lewisham doesn’t.
    Are us plebs in Lewisham being punished here?

If I am very very lucky I might get an acknowledgement of this mail.
    I may well be ignored.
    I may well be patronised.
    Either way I doubt if you will answer anything I have said here, probably dismissing my mail as rambling, not making sense, and hysterical...a very good tactic if you don’t want to engage with any of the detail.

If you have bothered to read this far I thank you.

This is one resident of the London Borough of Lewisham who is against any kind of closure or cut backs in either Maternity, or A&E at Lewisham hospital.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Nathan has a right to free speech I suppose, such a shame that he wants my local A&E to close because he feels such bitterness.
  • Options
    They plaster up broken bones without moving them back into place or not even properly look at them. They also claim they are "busy" as to why it takes them about 2 months to send a letter off.
  • Options

They plaster up broken bones without moving them back into place or not even properly look at them. They also claim they are "busy" as to why it takes them about 2 months to send a letter off.

Nothing like generalising is there - I assume you read the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    Gave up my ticket for the game today to join the march. Lewisham resident all my life and have needed the service provided for myself and members of my family on a number of occasions.
    Your letter, Seth is spot on as it highlights the real agenda for such decisions. They are immoral, unfair and downright wrong. And being made by someone who has no clue, as you rightly point out, of local feeling, logistics and attitude.
    Today was an amazing turn out. Sent shivers down my spine as much as a Solly winner in the last minute at Millwall would next week.
    If you believe in fairness and rights and common sense then back this campaign.
  • Options

The Guardian ;-)
  • Options
    If you do read The Guardian, Nathan, then you would have seen Lucy Mangan's piece last week about the proposed closures. Worth a read if you missed it...
  • Options

The Guardian ;-)
    Well given how useless you say the staff are at Lewisham you must be a very happy man. You could be the next Tory health minister and help finish off the NHS completely.

I can't wait for us to follow the American healthcare model cause that really delivers for their public doesn't it.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am I the only one finding it ironic that Nathan's complaining about the time it takes for someone to send a letter?
  • Options

Close it, they're all f*cking useless in there.

Or adopt the Queen Mary's approach and open it 8am-8pm

Living up to your rep. Classy

• Options
    edited November 2012

Michael Harris ‏@mjrharris
    Estimate of numbers on #SaveLewishamAE march up from 10,000 to 15,000. Incredible! That's the whole population of Lewisham Central

The BBC however reports 2,000!

Both figures are superb!

We were about a quarter way from the front of the march, policeman said that for the last 15 minutes 160 people had passed per minute, which makes at least 9,600 plus those that only went to the hospital. No way was it only 2,000

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Lets say Nathan has a point and that Lewisham staff are useless. That does not justify closing Lewisham AE, but investing in training. The point for Nathan is that if they close Lewisham then there will only be one A&E covering Lewisham, Bexley and Greenwich, to put that in context Brighton has an A&E, Brighton is the size of anyone of those three areas.

In medical terms the critical time for treatment of a heart attack or stroke is the first hour, during this period treatment can be the difference between death, partial recovery (which results in on going costs to the NHS) and full recovery. If you have to travel from Forest Hill to Woolwhich the time taken may mean you never recover or the damage done to you leaves you needing permanent treatment.
  • Options
    Wednesday 27 November, 7 pm, public meeting at Broadway Theatre more here

Tuesday 4 December, 6 pm, Calabash Centre, George Lane - consultation meeting with the special administrator. more here
  • Options
    Clare Griffiths ‏@clogsilk
    Lewisham hospital choir singing in the rain yesterday! @ Ladywell Fields
  • Options

Gave up my ticket for the game today to join the march. Lewisham resident all my life and have needed the service provided for myself and members of my family on a number of occasions.
    Your letter, Seth is spot on as it highlights the real agenda for such decisions. They are immoral, unfair and downright wrong. And being made by someone who has no clue, as you rightly point out, of local feeling, logistics and attitude.
    Today was an amazing turn out. Sent shivers down my spine as much as a Solly winner in the last minute at Millwall would next week.
    If you believe in fairness and rights and common sense then back this campaign.

Agree with this, me and 7 year old son missed the game today to go on the march and found it very moving to be a part of it. Never been on a protest and have always believed that we all need to take a hit to get out of this economic hole, but this is a step way too far.

• Options
    Good point Nathan. Just the tricky question of how to make sure people only have their accidents and emergencies between 8 and 8. Sure a man of your intellect can sort that one out quickly enough though.
  • Options
    I was born in Lewisham hospital and lived not far from there in my early years.

To be honest, it always had a really bad rep on lots of fronts back in the day. I understand they've spent a fair bit of money on it since, so hopefully it's improved and shrugged off it's reputation of the past (which, I hasten to add, I don't know if it was deserved or not).

Either way, even if it still has a shite A&E, it's got to be better than no A&E at all.

(By the way. The original Lewisham Hospital building was formerly a workhouse. I was told that part of it was built by French prisioners of war from the Napoleonic wars, but don't know if that's just some sort of urban myth as can't find it written anywhere)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good point Nathan. Just the tricky question of how to make sure people only have their accidents and emergencies between 8 and 8. Sure a man of your intellect can sort that one out quickly enough though.

Minor injuries between 8am and 8pm and all major ones are seen to in a different department within the hospital, it works at Queen Mary's.

• Options
    Yes - in a different department that isn't fully staffed, has no experienced triage nurses, doctors who are already working twice their regular hours, and insufficient equipment to deal with large incidents. In short, NOT an 'Accident and Emergency' department, which is sort of the point that I and a number of others have been making. You need to do some serious growing up, or sooner rather than later you'll meet someone who won't be quite as understanding as people on here about your 'different' views. You might then be in need of a well-staffed, funded and equipped A&E department yourself.
  • Options
    Sorry, told myself to leave well alone,but..........

Leroy.Thank You for putting into words. without swearing, what I wanted to say. Nathans happy...he goes to football, moans about the hot-dogs, lays in bed most mornings and he is obviously a very,very fit person who will never need an A&E department.

Man....I'm so jealous of his life.
  • Options
    Cheers MOG. Nothing in there about PoW's helping to build it though - so maybe what I was told was wrong. Still, if it was built in 1817 then there is a chance that it could be right.
  • Options

Sorry, told myself to leave well alone,but..........

Leroy.Thank You for putting into words. without swearing, what I wanted to say. Nathans happy...he goes to football, moans about the hot-dogs, lays in bed most mornings and he is obviously a very,very fit person who will never need an A&E department.

"Yet" MOG, yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Minor injuries between 8am and 8pm and all major ones are seen to in a different department within the hospital, it works at Queen Mary's.

It works in reality at Queens Mary's or it works on paper and in management speak at Queen Mary's? Those who work in the public sector know it's always the later.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    That is only for people who get there under their steam. Ambulances do not take emergencies there.
  • Options

As a Paramedic in the area, I can honestly say Nathan, you are talking Bollox and you sure don't know what you are talking about. Queen Mary's has a URGENT CARE CENTRE and can not deal with anything other than a small cut, cough or cold. Any serious job gets transferred out as quick as they can call 999. As for them dealing with major injuries in other departments, at night I as fairly sure you could count the amount of doctors in the place on one hand and still have fingers left to tap the table while you wait!
  • Options
    I've seen many an ambulance go in there with blues on after 8pm
  • Options
    I haven't seen Obama, doesn't mean he ain't real......does it?