Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Save Lewisham A&E

Comments

• I've sent this petition to my contacts in my address book
  • I have tried the official consultation feedback thingy and failed to navigate it, and then it just went away from the screen, they make it difficult for nitwits like me to do more than sign the online petition.
    The thought of Lewisham A&E closing is shocking, whatever anybody thinks about public services, state involvement, costs and so on, you can take some comfort that at least there is that fundamental medical service provided in communities.
    If Lewisham A&E ends up closing I will hate those bastard politicians who made it happen forever.
  • edited November 2012
    Needed to go to an A&E after work on Wednesday. Choice of QEH (10 minutes from home) or a hospital in London. QEH is always full. Went to University College at Euston. Marvellous facilities and staff but it still more than 4 hours to get a shard of glass cut out of my foot.

X rays needed so a visit to surgery or minor injuries unit not possible.

With one A&E for SE London they will need to enlarge QEH - not going to happen.

What happens if there is a train crash or a multiple pile up on the A102?

Consultation on Greenwich area includes a meeting at The Valley.
  • I resent the hospital I was born (and a lot of my family and friends were born) in being userped like this.
  • Bump (for the Sunday crowd).
  • This is the save the A&E page.

https://www.facebook.com/SaveLewishamAe

March this Saturday.
  • Join the Save Lewisham Hospital protest tomorrow - maternity & intensive care services now under threat as well as A&E: http://transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/save-lewisham-hospital-now-is-time.html
  • Those on the campaign front need to up their game, Nick Ferrari (host of LBCs breakfast show and Blackheath resident) said this morning he had not heard a thing about it.

He should have been one of the first people to go to to drum up a bit of pressure and publicity.
  • Sponsored links:

• AFKA:

Front page in The Mercury, SLP, Newshopper, been on local ITV & BBC news, talked about at length on BBCRadioLondon...........

Think Ferrari may be on a "wind-up".

• Fantastic news! Hundreds of people in Lewisham have signed the petition to local doctors who’ll soon have the power to make big decisions about the local NHS - asking them to protect local NHS services from privatisation.

Right now, the doctors are forming a Clinical Commissioning Group for Lewisham and they’ll be under a lot of pressure from private companies to let them take over vital services.

Whether it’s treatment for diabetes, skin conditions, a broken arm or depression, profit-hungry companies like Virgin Care and Serco are circling, ready to bid for contracts by promising to slash costs. [1]

But lots of us don’t want that to happen. Together, we’ve built up a big petition signed by local people across Lewisham. The vital next step is to arrange to meet face-to-face with doctors on your CCG to show them how many local people want them to protect the NHS, instead of helping carve it up for private profit.

Could you arrange to hand in the petition to your Lewisham CCG?
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/CCG-petition-hand-in

Not only can we give the doctors a copy of the big petition, we can also hand them a precise guide explaining how they can take action to protect the NHS in Lewisham. The guide contains amendments drafted by expert lawyers that CCGs can put into their constitutions.

If Lewisham CCG agrees to put the 38 Degrees amendments into their constitution, it will be much less likely that cost-cutting, profit-hungry companies will win contracts to run services in Lewisham. In London, Hackney CCG have already agreed to use the 38 Degrees amendments - your local NHS could be protected too! But it needs someone to step up to organise to deliver the petition and the guide with the amendments.

38 Degrees members who’ve done it before say it doesn’t take long to set up. Once you’ve made an appointment with your CCG, just fill in the details on the website. Then the 38 Degrees office team will send out everything you need to make it happen and let local 38 Degrees members know about it too.

Can you make it happen in Lewisham?
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/CCG-petition-hand-in

Thanks for everything you do,

Marie, Ian, David and the 38 Degrees team

PS: Here’s a step-by-step guide to how you can organise a petition hand-in to your CCG:

1. Sign up to organise a hand-in by filling in the quick form at: https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/CCG-petition-hand-in
    2. We'll then help you find your CCG's contact details so you can ask to have a meeting with them
    3. Once you've set up a meeting, find a place nearby where 38 Degrees members can meet up half an hour or so beforehand
    4. Then, input all the details of your meet-up on the 38 Degrees events page
    5. We'll then let other 38 Degrees members in your area know it's happening so they can sign up to come along too, and send you a petition hand-in pack before the event.
    6. Along with a copy of the petition, we'll give you booklets to give the CCG, with the critical amendments that we want them to adopt to protect local NHS services. There's more detail about the amendments and the campaign on the 38 Degrees website.
    7. Let us know how you got on by emailing: ccgsupport@38degrees.org.uk

NOTES:
    [1] “...plans for a radical restructuring of the health service in England, which will give GPs control of much of the NHS's £106bn annual budget, cut the number of health bodies, and introduce more competition into services” Guardian NHS Reform Health bill passes vote http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/mar/20/nhs-reform-health-bill-passes-vote
    BBC: NHS - The shape of things to come http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17457102
    [2] 38 Degrees blog “Save Your Local NHS - it’s working” http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2012/11/06/save-your-local-nhs-its-working/

38 DEGREES Registered Company No. 6642193
  • KNOW THE FACTS about saving Lewisham hospital. See our factsheet! http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/factsheet/
  • Sorry I won't be at the Valley today. Since I took a season ticket I have attended the Valley with a bad back, mild pneumonia and flown back from India landed at 8.00 am and got toi the Valley to see Chelsea stuff us 5-0, but today I am voluntarily giving up my season ticket to my brother in law so I can join the march to save Lewisham A&E and other services including maternity services from going to failing authority's hospital in Woolwich. At 2.00 pm we march from Lewisham and at 3.00 pm we form a chain around the hospital.

COYR and #SaveLewishamAE
  • All the best to those on the march today.
  • Kap I feel like I would join you, but will be working for the infant Charlton trust in the surrounds of the Valley. I want to thank you, and all the others on the action this afternoon.
    Let's fight this one all the way.
  • Close it, they're all f*cking useless in there.

Or adopt the Queen Mary's approach and open it 8am-8pm
  • edited November 2012
    Nathan you have just opened yourself up to a torrent of abuse. Wait until those who have given up their day to march in the pouring rain instead of sitting in the pub before going to watch their team, get home. I have refrand from commenting on the other thread. But you are a prized sized prick. .
  • All the best to those on the march today.

I'll 2nd that.
  • We have lost or in thin the process of losing our a and e and our maternity wards at chase farm

It a terrible thing to happen to any community

Nathan

Grow up FFs
  • Sponsored links:

• Cllr Liam Curran ‏@CllrCurran
    15,000 people on @SaveLewishamAE march today! This is just the start. #AreyoulisteningJeremyHunt?
  • Nathan, I hope to God you or your family need help one day & the hospital tell you to FUCK OFF.
  • Mrs Mackenzie ‏@loftspace
    Fantastic #SaveLewishamAE march; the community out in force. Despite the awful weather.
  • Just ignore him, he obviously has no idea what he is talking about
  • Good march and good spirit despite the weather. No problem with Nathans comments as long as he agrees not to use a "useless" service in the future
  • Just showing his age folks

He may have had a terrible experience with him or a family member there

But we all know these services are invaluable
  • I saw a lot of people with banners on the pointless park that the council made after spending £250k on demolishing some old Victorian shops. It looked like a decent turn out.
  • I saw a lot of people with banners on the pointless park that the council made after spending £250k on demolishing some old Victorian shops. It looked like a decent turn out.

And you did nt wave to me! Decent turn out

• Great stuff! Well done to everyone involved.
  • edited November 2012
    Michael Harris ‏@mjrharris
    Estimate of numbers on #SaveLewishamAE march up from 10,000 to 15,000. Incredible! That's the whole population of Lewisham Central

The BBC however reports 2,000!

Both figures are superb!