Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Referee theory test

13»

Comments

• Options
    The one about the freekick in your own area blowing back in the goal got me. I thought the ball had to go out of the area before it was in play (free kick or goal kick) or be retaken. It didn't say in the question whether it left the area or not.

Does any body know if that is correct (calling all refs). i.e if it blew back in the goal but had not left the area.
  • Options
    Here's a good 'un that most people assume otherwise.
    The ball does not have to be played forward for a player to be offside when the ball is played.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Here's a good 'un that most people assume otherwise.
    The ball does not have to be played forward for a player to be offside when the ball is played.

I think it does;

A player is in an offside position if:
    •he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

• Options
    Tricky one I must say. But I think what Seth is saying is: If I was standing on the penalty spot and the ball was 1 yard behind me and was played another yard further back and I went and played the ball I would be offside?
    If this was the case I would meet your criteria Pete.
  • Options
    OK here goes:
    To be offside you have to be:

In the opponents half.
    In front of the ball
    Fewer than 2 opponents between you and the goal.
    Interfering with play
    Interfering with an opponent
    Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position.

When the ball is played by a teammate.

You have to go with me on this.
    A short corner. Played 3 or four yards back to a teammate (call him Charlie!). The corner taker than runs further back towards their own half.
    While this happens all the defence yell 'OUT' and charge up the field out of their area trying to get the attackers offside.
    However the attacking teams central defender (Bert!) is on the goal line jumping up and down in front of the goalkeeper as they do. The central defender doesn't race out of the area like everybody else.
    So the player with the ball (Charlie!) slants a pass back towards the 'D' hoping one of his fellow attacking team can turn onto the ball and be facing the goal with it.
    When Charlie plays the ball (backwards) his team mate, the central defender on the goal line with the keeper (Bert!) is offside because he is:

In the opponents half.
    In front of the ball
    Fewer than 2 opponents between him and the goal.
    Interfering with an opponent
    Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position.

I'm pretty sure I have that right, the law does not use the word 'forward'.

The OFFICIAL SOCCER SITE - Law 11

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee.....

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
    a goal kick or
    a throw-in or
    a corner kick
  • Options
    9/12 Championship ref
  • Options
    I would have been embarrased to have scored less, seeing as I'm a qualified ref..............
  • Options

I would have been embarrased to have scored less, seeing as I'm a qualified ref..............

Having the answers open in another tab may have helped too ;-)
  • Options

The one about the freekick in your own area blowing back in the goal got me. I thought the ball had to go out of the area before it was in play (free kick or goal kick) or be retaken. It didn't say in the question whether it left the area or not.

Does any body know if that is correct (calling all refs). i.e if it blew back in the goal but had not left the area.

That's an interesting one.

Law 13 (Free Kicks) has the following to say:

- If a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team's own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team.

But also:-

- The ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area.

- If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team from inside its own penalty area, the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area the kick is retaken.

My interpretation would be that, if the ball enters the goal then it has been kicked directly out of the penalty area, and therefore a corner should be given. I think the second part is mainly intended for situations when the ball does not clear the penalty area (e.g. a short pass is made). But I might be wrong.
  • Options
    11/12 for me. Like to know which one I got wrong.