Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Animals

Comments

• Options

Thank you for the hyperlink, M.O.G.
    Rob: no forum as far as I'm aware. Being an 'anti' is less about chit chat and more about saving the life of a hunted animal.
    Okay, so I like foxes. But I'm not engaging in 'point scoring'.

Cor, only asked.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    Africa (New Attenborough series) deserves it's own thread but isn't it brilliant.

Giraffes are amazing things to watch.
  • Options
    Never seen a Giraffe fight until last week, but my eldest claims there has been one televised before?
  • Options

I'm a zoologist/Animal behaviourist. I did my master's project on climate change affecting natal dispersal in pied flycatchers and spent 4 months in north east thailand studying monkeys earlier this year. I've had the pleasure of working with some fantastic animals in the past including numerous species of bird, wolves and orang-utans, and I have been to some amazing places to do this. If you do want to go into this line of work you have to be extremely passionate about it, and be prepared to put most of your spare-time into it. I have been volunteering for about 5 years and have a lot of experience, but it is very very difficult to find a job in the area. I am going to most likely have to go on to do a phd - hopefully in the near future - and then return to the struggle for finding a job. For me it is completely worth it, as i absolutely love working with animals and my years of working for pizza express have taught me how important it is to try and find something you love. I highly recommend going into the field, but be prepared to work your socks off :)

I applied to study Marine Zoology at Aberystwyth (spelling?) but missed the grades and retook but ended up studying an accountancy / business type degree elsewhere.

Regrets on one hand but a money paying job on the other and Ex Witch worked for a major airline so spent many years travelling the world for next to nothing and doing all sorts of wildlife adventures: Kenya, S Africa, Thai, Malay (inc Borneo), Costa Rica, Bermuda, Maldives and others I am ashamed to have forgotten right now.
  • Options

Never seen a Giraffe fight until last week, but my eldest claims there has been one televised before?

It was on QI discussing why they have long necks. It's wasn't anything like on Africa though
  • Options
    I like wasps...cant understand why people are always senselessly killing them. Ah yes just remembered...they can sting you and they are not very attractive...good enough reason I suppose.
  • Options
    I've done a blog about gorillas/humans i might post up soon, if anyone would want to read it....

Speaking of Borneo, anyone hear about Orangutans being used as prostitutes in a brothel? Apparently it made loads of money, and no this is not Karl pilkington jibberish, google it.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I've done a blog about gorillas/humans i might post up soon, if anyone would want to read it....

Speaking of Borneo, anyone hear about Orangutans being used as prostitutes in a brothel? Apparently it made loads of money, and no this is not Karl pilkington jibberish, google it.

Male or female prostitute?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Dave2l said:

Male or female prostitute?
    Female, named pony. They shaved it's hair off to make it more sexually appealing.

Crazy disturbed people.
  • Options
    She would rip your genitals right off and thrust them up your jacksie.

Actually that reminds me of a girl I used to know worked with me on Phantom of the Opera.
  • Options
    use the owl to kill the baby foxes and moles great plan perry i might buy one
  • Options
    The latest in the world of red pandas from Zooborns:image

Awwww! On a serious note Dave21, primates are an area of interest for me so I'll have a read if you put up a link.
  • Options

use the owl to kill the baby foxes and moles great plan perry i might buy one

He would probably be small enough to fly down the burrows too...

• Options
    My own squadren of mole and fox killing owls

I never thought of it tbh but that's the solution

Perry yOu may have just saved the world
  • Options

My own squadren of mole and fox killing owls

I never thought of it tbh but that's the solution

Perry yOu may have just saved the world

Happy to oblige... Just don't stint on the stroking!
  • Options
    I love a bit if falconry NLA pal. Would have me own birds if it weren't for french red tape!
  • Options
    My happy news story of the day:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282274/Care-monkey-massage-Grey-langurs-spotted-treating-wild-dog-grooming-session-India.html#ixzz2Mj3lHXx4

I hate the Mail but they run a good few animal stories like that which raise a smile.
  • Options
    Nowt to do with massaging the dog. They're looking for ticks to chow down on. Symbiosis at its finest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nowt to do with massaging the dog. They're looking for ticks to chow down on. Symbiosis at its finest.

Yeah, they put up some nice stories but they aren't the best informed. For example, the 'monkeys' in this article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221981/Halloween-toys-treat-cheeky-monkeys-Woburn-Safari-Park.html
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Yeah, they put up some nice stories but they aren't the best informed. For example, the 'monkeys' in this article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221981/Halloween-toys-treat-cheeky-monkeys-Woburn-Safari-Park.html
    Anthropomorphism at it's worst.
  • Options
    Not to mention the fact that lemurs aren't monkeys.
  • Options
  • Options
    #bigstemarra I think you might like this if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.metaspoon.com/honey-badger/?fb

• Options
    That's the best animal programme ever I.have ever seen
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Stig said:

#bigstemarra I think you might like this if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.metaspoon.com/honey-badger/?fb

Stoffle is an absolute dude.

I posted about my Howletts (crowned & red-bellied) lemur exploits in another thread, not only am I loving it but it’s good experience. I’ve moved on to feeding them now, the first time I did that I honestly don’t know whether myself or the lemurs were more excited.

• Options
    Anybody see the latest offering from David Attenborough and the BBC?
    Stunning camera work as usual, the baby geese free falling 400ft was incredible.

On iplayer if you missed it, well worth an hour of your time.
  • Options
    I went to the zoo today but they only had one animal........
    It was a shih tzu!

Sorry, couldn't resist