Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated Footballers

Comments

• Options
    I think the Rooney hate is 90% directed towards what he doesn/doesn't do for England and all the emotions that come with big tournaments.

Its no coincidence that United fans think he is brilliant. He is - a lot of England fans just have anti-climatic feelings after tournaments are done and he is usually the brunt of it all.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I think the Rooney hate is 90% directed towards what he doesn/doesn't do for England and all the emotions that come with big tournaments.

Its no coincidence that United fans think he is brilliant. He is - a lot of England fans just have anti-climatic feelings after tournaments are done and he is usually the brunt of it all.

He is a good player but he is not world class, as pundits keep saying, and the same goes for the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham.
  • Options
    Again, the whole "world class" thing confuses me. Do a lot of people actually understand what this term means?

A lot of people confuse it being with 'best of the best'. Its not. It means someone is good enough to take their trade around the world and be highly competent at it. Wayne Rooney would be at least reasonably successful in near enough every major league and wouldn't look out of place at any club in the world - even if he was on the bench for the likes of Barcelona or Madrid. So, by that definition, he is world class in my eyes.
  • Options
    Tom, surely that's your opinion of what world class means
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Again, the whole "world class" thing confuses me. Do a lot of people actually understand what this term means?

A lot of people confuse it being with 'best of the best'. Its not. It means someone is good enough to take their trade around the world and be highly competent at it.

Not sure I'd agree with that, I don't think the geography of where you're able to ply your trade has anything to do with it - it's about being among the best in the world. Under your definition a lot of pretty average Premier league players would be 'world class' on the basis that they could also be 'highly competent' in La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga etc.

I would suggest that world class would mean that you were among the very best players in the world in your position - ie if you were putting 'world XI' together then a world class player should be in contention for a place, not merely sufficiently competent to play in multiple international leagues.

• Options
    The thread title is overrated footballers.

Someone like Rooney is unquestionably very good but is he, and others like him, as great as the media would have us believe?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Correct. As if there's a textbook definition for such a term.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

there should be a book giving detailed descriptions of words and small phrases. I would call it, the kentaddicktionary
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I think there might be though
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Love to see it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Love to see it.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/world-class
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Love to see it.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/world-class
    Still very broad/vague though don't you think? I mean where do you draw the line? What constitutes the necessary skill, for example.
  • Options
    to be fair to Rooney, ITV over-rate everybody. Only football i watch in silence.
  • Options

to be fair to Rooney, ITV over-rate everybody. Only football i watch in silence.

and when you are at the valley :)
  • Options
    Cheick Tiote
  • Options
    harry cripps
  • Options
    Arjen Robben

Watching him last night, Evra had a mare. The bloke comes inside onto his left foot every single time. A better defender would show him down the line and he would be cack.
  • Options

Arjen Robben

Watching him last night, Evra had a mare. The bloke comes inside onto his left foot every single time. A better defender would show him down the line and he would be cack.

So much easier said than done, VG.
  • Options

Arjen Robben

So much easier said than done, VG.
    ha agree mate, but Evra didn't even shape up to do it. Was driving me mad.
  • Options

Arjen Robben

world defences have been trying for about a decade. He's that good he can keep doing the same thing again and again.

Ribery is overrated for me, always been touted as one of the best wingers in the world but everytime i see him he's been lame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kolarov beyond me what they see in him defensively inept and going forward hits everything 100mph
  • Options
    Ribery and Robben overated. You guys are havin' a larf.
  • Options

Arjen Robben

Evra has tried that against him before, and Robben destroyed him all night. Just doesn't work. You have to give him so much space down the line that he just dribbles round the full back that way instead.
  • Options
    if only united had evina.
  • Options
    Most England due to media hype but particularly Rooney. How United fans put up with him after he mugged them twice I'll never know.
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever seen Ribery have a good game
  • Options
    Wilshere without a doubt
  • Options
    Agree that Robben is overrated, Harriot works much better as an inverted winger. In fact, the whole Bayern team are overrated.....I mean, what have they ever won? :-)
  • Options
    You haven't proved anything until you've won League One
  • Options

Ashley Young

The rest of Man Utd's first 11 (except van Persie)