Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Overrated Footballers

Comments

• Obviously need my eyes washing then. All I saw was someone that has learnt a stepover and has a bit of pace. He'll be found out in the premier.
  • Best player in the championship imo.
  • Micah Richards.....a clutzy clown who is the self proclaimed best right back for England.
  • Best player in the championship imo.

By a distance. I wonder why Palace are top ?
  • zaha tore wiggins a new one , wiggins is still injured from being turned inside out and some
  • Anton ferdinand.. pub player.. Beckham..total hype and cack..
  • Wayne Rooney is the most overrated footballer of this generation
  • Joey Barton, complete tosspot and Gareth Barry
  • David Platt. Two good games at Italia 90 and lived off it for his whole career.
  • And Gareth Barry. Ive seen milk turn quicker.
  • Sponsored links:

• People here confusing overrated players with players they don't like. There is a massive difference.
  • Busquets is a failure of a human being, for sure - but to call him overrated is bizarre. If anything, he's underrated. Knits the team together very well and does all the hard yards that Xavi can't do any more. Excellent touch, quick feet for a tallish player and picks a pass very well. If you want to pick an overrated Barca player look no further than Dani Alves. Can't tackle, two shit crosses out of every three and a bit of a wanker to boot.

Completely disagree, Alves has been quality for years. At Sevilla he was basically right back and right winger all on his own.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

Micah Richards.....a clutzy clown who is the self proclaimed best right back for England.

Poor positional sense too/

Beckham..total hype and cack..

Now, or throughout his career? Because he was a ery, very good player (if not quite world class), but agree he's past it now and anyone who wants hom back in the England squad is daft.
  • buckshee said:

Wilfred Zaha , one trick pony . King of the pointless step over.

Just been called up to the England squad :-)
  • John Obi Mikel. Constantly, constantly out of position. Most of Chelsea's goals recently have been square balls to the edge of the box where Mikel should be, but instead he's halfway up the pitch sauntering back. Despite him being essentially a very tall bollard he gets praise for being improved because he's learned to pass the ball to one of his team mates 5 yeards away without falling over. How he's a Champions League winner I will never, ever know
  • Dani Alves and Mikel are the best shouts on this page, but i'm not sure Mikel was ever rated

did notice that Mikel had another crap game today
  • As others have said, over-rated is very, very different to players you simply don't like.

For me, and some won't like this, I think Wayne Rooney is massively over-rated, he's been awful in every major tournament since Euro 2004 and I think he's a bit of a flat track bully for both United and England.
  • I think Ribery is a great player. He must regret not being born 6 years earlier, he'd have made it into that double winning French squad.
  • Martin Pringle
  • Martin Pringle

Wrong . Pringle was underrated .

• Sponsored links:

• Dani Alves and Mikel are the best shouts on this page, but i'm not sure Mikel was ever rated

did notice that Mikel had another crap game today

I thought Mikel had been found out by AVB but Di Matteo brought him back in and the commentators were raving about what a good job he does for Chelsea against Shakhtar, despite the fact both goals could have been avoided if he'd bothered to do his job. Seems now all the attention is on Terry and Cole's off-field antics and the Torres and Luiz comedy show Mikel has attained some higher level of respect. It terrifies me
  • Stewart Downing - Awful and totally predictable. Just cuts in from the right and delivers a poor left footed cross. Nothing else to his game. Biggest waste of money though has to be Andy Carrol. £35 million is a complete joke. Great businesss by Newcaastle though. Little wonder Mike Ashley bought JJB sports!
  • Stewart Downing - Awful and totally predictable. Just cuts in from the right and delivers a poor left footed cross. Nothing else to his game. Biggest waste of money though has to be Andy Carrol. £35 million is a complete joke. Great businesss by Newcaastle though. Little wonder Mike Ashley bought JJB sports!

Am I about to bite on this wind up?
  • Rooney. Never steps up to the mark in the games that really matter.

agree 100% - predict he'll be offloaded by man u in the next year - no pace, not a great finisher and has to be accomodated into a team, normally to the detriment of the 'whole' - certainly in Englands case.
  • Jenkinson.
  • edited November 2012
    David Beckham is my default position on this question. He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head the ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's alright.
  • Stuart Downing, if he was right footed he'd do well to be playing in the championship
  • Mesut Ozil, never see him have a great game.
  • sorry all you Rooney Haters .. I think that he is a terrific footballer
  • Rooney. Massively. It's not that he's not good, just that he's nowhere near as good as commentators and pundits would have us believe.

It seems to be some kind of proof of his brilliance when he tries things that don't come off that most other players would be criticised for. If he'd hit Lawrie Wilson's shot at the end of the Palace game the commentator would have spent 2 minutes telling us all how even the fact that he took it on proved that he was world class.

Don't get me wrong, I'd put him in my starting XI against Burnley but if money was no object he would be pretty far down my wanted list.

Ditto Gerrard, you could count the good games he's had for England on one hand (and probably still have enough fingers spare to add Rooney's on).