Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez

Youth player, has a few prem team sniffing about

Comments

• Options
    Goes to my school.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Youth player, has a few prem team sniffing about

According to Richard Cawley so 100% true

• Options
    Finally, we could sing the Addams Family song for a decent reason.
  • Options
    Saw him v Cardiff 18's and he looked excellent
  • Options
    Can he play left back?
  • Options
    Never heard of him ... his ability is described as 'off the scale'

For all things yoof related , i trust DP's judgement.
  • Options
    Gomez is a central defender with pace, but who can play. He purrs like a Rolls Royce and Charlton have long since recognised his ability.
    He played for the U18 team aged 15 and is now (aged 16) is a regular in the older team.

He is good in the air, but his strength is on the ground and he has ability on the ball as he develops under former centre half Paul Hart, who played for Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Blackpool, among other clubs. Hart made 567 league appearances and is a good tutor for Gomez.

Charlton are proud of their youth development credentials and are confident they will keep him, but it’s no surprise at the interest being shown.

So eager are Charlton to keep spies away from their star players, a false team sheet was put out for their FA Youth Cup quarter final against Manchester United at Old Trafford last season, when Sir Alex Ferguson was watching from the director’s box.
  • Options
    I know a scout for Millwall an he reckons that this kid is the next big thing he describes him as 'technically brilliant, fast, strong and good in the air'
  • Options
    sounds like a golden eagle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be nice if we see him sign a contract and learn the game with us for a few years when he is old/good enough
  • Options

Be nice if we see him sign a contract and learn the game with us for a few years when he is old/good enough

Two years till he can sign a contract is'nt it

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Can sign at 16 I thought?
  • Options
    I've played against him at school and I'm not great if I'm honest but he was fantastic and tore everybody to shreds.

He was playing for the year 11 team in year 8 and he can do everything brilliantly.

I'm in 6th form now but its at the same school still and still see him about so I'll see if I can persuade him to sign on quick before any of the big clubs step in.
  • Options
    Seems we have some real gems coming through. I really hope that we can hang on to them long enough for them to have a real impact for CAFC and not need to be sold before we see any real benefit aka Jenkinson.
  • Options
    Thought at 16 you could sign a pre contract thingy that ties you to signing a contract at 17 - isn't that what Jonjo did?
  • Options
    Don't know about anyone else but I find it depressing that the clubs with the big bucks can flash the cash and OUR talent do a dash.
  • Options
    Saw him when he was 15 playing for the Under 18s and couldn't believe he was that age.I think someone should check his birth certificate.He is strong,good in the air,good in the tackle and quick.We have got some very good young defenders like Harry Osbourne,Gomez,Ajayi,Cousins, and Holmes Dennis.As well as Harry Lennon,who I believe is injured.The future looks bright.I hope we don't sell this talent
  • Options
    I Played golf with one of our scouts in the summer who said there are two players at this age group who are going to be stars. joe Gomes was described as "different class"
  • Options
    The Victory Shield game is live on Sky Sports 1 tonight, kick off 7.35pm.

Strange to think it was 5 years ago Jonjo was playing in the same tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of people pay a lot money every year to valley gold and I hope for them that they at least get a chance to see the players their money is developing in the first team at some point.

Not a nice thought that we find and develop these players to a good level with our fans money, only for them to run off to one of the big boys once the premier league cash is thrown at them.
  • Options
    Remember the rules have changed meaning PL clubs can pick up youngsters on the cheap now? They just have to settle for a development fee now (I think)
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The Victory Shield game is live on Sky Sports 1 tonight, kick off 7.35pm.

Strange to think it was 5 years ago Jonjo was playing in the same tournament.

Gomez starting. Live on Sky Sports 1.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Saw him v Cardiff 18's and he looked excellent

Agreed. He was the stand out player & Hart had mentioned him prior to KO.
  • Options
    What number is he ?
  • Options
  • Options
    5, right sided CB
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    A few misplaced passes...feeling the pressure...or wants to stay at the Valley? ;)
  • Options
    Very bumpy pitch it seems :(
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!