Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kauto Star retired

Chasing legend Kauto Star retired

Paul Nicholls has confirmed that Kauto Star, the five-time King George VI Chase winner, has been retired after a remarkable career.

Writing in his exclusive column at www.betfair.com/paulnicholls the champion trainer said on Wednesday: "The end of an era has finally arrived. Clive (Smith) was here this morning and we have taken the decision to retire Kauto Star.

"We have had nine superb years with the horse but, after seeing him in his work these past few weeks, myself, Clifford and Dan were of the opinion that the time had arrived to retire him.

"Of course, as owner, the final decision rested with Clive, but he agreed that the horse had done enough.

"Don't get me wrong, Kauto looks and feels as vibrant as ever, as those who saw him at our owners' Open Day last month would testify to. He was mad fresh that day and continues to be as alert as ever and very, very well in himself. But I suspect Kauto will be like that when he is 20-years-old.

"And, deep down, we know he has done enough - and in some ways I think we have to protect him from himself. And maybe ourselves, too. If he did go to Kempton and win or run well, would you really want to run him - or be able to resist the temptation - in the Gold Cup?

"I am not so sure.

"Kauto is signing off in full health and after a season in which he proved so many people wrong by winning a fifth King George and a fourth Betfair Chase, to add to his two Cheltenham Gold Cups and Tingle Creeks."

Kauto Star has been a remarkable servant to connections and the best chaser seen in Britain for many years.

His list of achievements include becoming the first horse to regain the Cheltenham Gold Cup crown.

The jockey most synonymous with Kauto Star was Ruby Walsh, who partnered the French import to 17 victories, including his Gold Cup triumphs and his five wins in the King George.

He said: "He's the horse of my lifetime. I'm very lucky to be the one who got to ride him.

"He was an incredible horse from the beginning, from when he won his novice chase in Newbury all the way to his fifth King George.

"He's got me to places I didn't think I'd ever be. He was just an incredible horse.

"A couple of Gold Cups, Betfair Chases, five King Georges, Tingle Creeks - he did everything.

"He was an amazing horse to ride and an amazing horse to be part of and I loved every minute of riding him.

"I remember going to Newbury to ride him (on his first run in Britain) and thinking, 'This is half an Arkle'.

"Paul said he was a nice horse and he came down the straight with his head in his chest.

"I had so much horse underneath me and from that day I was in love with him.

"He had a few knocks and a few setbacks but he was always an exceptional horse and a tough horse.

"He came back from hard races and heavy falls. He just kept coming back and getting back up to Grade One level again.

"He was a little indecisive (when jumping), so you always then had to be decisive. I have some amazing memories, so many good days.

"He was a wonderful horse to be riding and a wonderful horse to have in your life," he told Racing UK.

Comments

• I am sure his neeeiiggghhhbours will be happy. He can eastablish a more Stable relationship with them now.
  • Truly brilliant horse and definitely the right decision to go now. Sad to see but all good things and all that.
  • Quality Horse, Will be weird not too see him at Cheltenham in March.
  • Him & Denman can enjoy retirement now. Two absolute beasts
  • I was fortunate to see him at Cheltenham in 2008. Absolutely fantastic horse. I didn't bet on the race that day, but was gutted that Denman beat him. Hope he gets all the oats he deserves in his retirement :)
  • I've always preferred Denman as a horse, but obviously Kauto has achieved a lot more and is probably the greatest chaser of all time.
  • Denman was a Powerhouse of a horse a great one too but Kauto star was just all round class.
  • I was a denman man and 2008 was great but kauto was some horse
  • I was a denman man and 2008 was great but kauto was some horse

2008 was expensive!! All the extra races from the day that was called off for the high winds!! I only backed off betting in the big one as I just couldn't split the two of them. You're right Nicholas, Denman was an absolute beast that day. The race was a bit of an anti-climax in the end and Denman won easily. Paul Nicholls was obviously happy though...1,2,3
  • Will never forget this last year the two of them powering around the turn, the roar in the stand I was in was incredible. Shame Long run eventually came and ruined it.

• Sponsored links:

• Where's he retired too? A stable with sea views in Eastbourne?
  • JT said:

I've always preferred Denman as a horse, but obviously Kauto has achieved a lot more and is probably the greatest chaser of all time.

I had 100% success rate with these two !

Whenever I backed Kauto, Denman won & whenever I backed Denman, Kauto won.

I think one year I decided to back both, so I couldn't lose & Long Run won.

Epic fail :-(
  • Kauto is the first horse I have truly loved