Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Expectations for next two home games

Be happy if we get three points from these two given who we are up against. If we make a poor start on Saturday I just hope the fans stick with the team as we desperately need a home win to kickstart our season.

Seems the players are performing better away from home at present and I'm not sure whether this is down to feeling less pressure?

Comments

• Think we'll get one, need to be getting three though
  • I wonder how many will be back from the Barnsley game, on Saturday and Tuesday.
  • The thing that gives me some hope is that Emnes is injured for Boro so thats one goal threat out
  • Saw Boro away at Millwall with a Millwall mate. They weren't too dangerous at all, their biggest threat was George Friend down the left hand side.
  • edited October 2012
    Don't think it is anything to do with pressure HIUTB more a case of setting out your stall not to lose away and not yet finding the correct formula for breaking teams down at home. Going to stick my neck out and say 4 points.
  • 2 strikers in each game please. Absolutely hate one up front at home
  • 3 pints of Guinness per game & a good larf with me mates. Football starts and fall asleep :-)
  • edited October 2012
    cs1986 said:

2 strikers in each game please. Absolutely hate one up front at home

If one up with 5 across the middle gets us points then so be it. We play more attractive football that way too with these players. We should play to our strengths. Same as under Curbs when we needed points, defend and counter-attack can be best home or away.

• 4 points
    It has been shown this season that no team is unbeatable. CP has to find a side that can win at home, if that means one up front then so be it.
  • 4 points
    It has been shown this season that no team is unbeatable. CP has to find a side that can win at home, if that means one up front then so be it.

But it clearly doesn't work ?
  • Sponsored links:

• 4 points

But it clearly doesn't work ?
  • It is all about mindset. There is too much expectation by the players at home that we should win the game especially against the likes of Barnsley and Watford and Palace and the thing to notice is how much more hunger the opposition have. We need to play each game as a do or die and be very very hungry to destroy the opposition in all departments; that means chasing every ball (and yes even the goalie's). One thing I noticed was how fitter the opposing teams look compared to league one and how unfit danny green looked against barnsley; add to this the age of Jackson,Fuller, Hulse. I think the weight of expectation at home needs to be embraced by the team and channeled into a real focus to work for each other and any wise words from powell need to address this.
  • Think we will beat 'boro and lose to Cardiff in injury time!
  • All I need against Cardiff is a Whittingham goal for my fantasy team ;)
  • I recon the next two games will draw one loose one then crack four wins on the trot against more realistic teams to beat!
  • 4 points will do and I agree , please don't play the one up front at home.
  • One up front at home is not necessarily a defensive formation. As long as you have a player up front who can run the channels and hold the ball up it allows you to have two wide players who can get forward and with a defensive central midfielder it also allows players to get forward from midfield. Whenever we play 442 we get outnumbered and out played in midfield which encourages the back four to hoof the ball forward to the two strikers. We don't have the players to play 442 so lets stick to what has got us results away from home--451.

• If one up with 5 across the middle gets us points then so be it. We play more attractive football that way too with these players. We should play to our strengths. Same as under Curbs when we needed points, defend and counter-attack can be best home or away.

With you on that, swords
  • Think 4-4-2 will see us overrun. I think the secret is to be in the game with 15 mins to go and then possibly revert to 4-4-2.

Hulse up front gives us a proper presence that BWP and Fuller don't provide.

2-3 points best we can hope for IMO.
  • Fancy we will beat 'boro but get turned over by Cardiff.
    3 points will do - unrealistic to expect too much more given our injury situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got a feeling we'll take four points from six. They won't be pretty points but points nonetheless :o)
  • 4 points for me.
  • edited October 2012

If one up with 5 across the middle gets us points then so be it. We play more attractive football that way too with these players. We should play to our strengths. Same as under Curbs when we needed points, defend and counter-attack can be best home or away.

It gets us draws away from home but that's no good to us at The Valley .
  • You can see what will happen though, if we have a bad first 20 mins, the fans will get on their backs which is exactly what we don't want.

It is crucial we get behind the team regardless.
  • Three points min, four points great
  • Two more draws.

• If one up with 5 across the middle gets us points then so be it. We play more attractive football that way too with these players. We should play to our strengths. Same as under Curbs when we needed points, defend and counter-attack can be best home or away.

It gets us draws away from home but that's no good to us at The Valley .

Remind me. What happened when we played 4-4-2 in the second half against the mighty Barnsley?
  • I think 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 at home would work. I reckon that will be how CP will line us up on Saturday. To me it's a lot more solid and stops us being overrun in midfield.
  • Boro beat Sunderland in the Micky Mouse Cup tonight. Hopefully they'l still be knackered come Saturday.
  • We don't have the quality in midfield to play 4-4-2, need to play a form of 4-5-1.

Our strength is our defending, we can win games scoring 1 or 2 goals a game.