Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Society of Black Lawyers

Anyone got a clue why this group getting involved in the Clattenberg incident?

Comments

• Did you know they existed before today? I didn't.

And there's your answer.
  • Sounds like they're just jumping on the bandwagon
  • If I was a white lawyer I'd try to join and then sue them for racial discrimination.
  • Shag said:

Sounds like they're just jumping on the bandwagon

That's how it appears. Have a touch of the Lee Jasper's about them.

• Think John Terry asked them to get involved.
  • Rizzo said:

If I was a white lawyer I'd try to join and then sue them for racial discrimination.

What that they didn't let non-lawyers join?
  • Stig said:

Rizzo said:

If I was a white lawyer I'd try to join and then sue them for racial discrimination.

What that they didn't let non-lawyers join?
    Err...no.

• Rizzo said:

You wouldn't get very far as membership is open to anyone who supports their aims.

• Did you know they existed before today? I didn't.

And there's your answer.

Totally. Saw an opportunity to get their name out there and before you know it, there are threads on football forums about them. Cynical, but given the apparent success, hard to argue.
  • Jints said:

Rizzo said:

You wouldn't get very far as membership is open to anyone who supports their aims.

So, why the 'Black' in their name?
  • Sponsored links:

• its run by an ex market porter from deptford called Fred Black he went on to the bar and so are his brothers .
  • SE10 said:

Jints said:

Rizzo said:

They're an offshoot of the Palace Ultras.
  • SE10 said:

Jints said:

Rizzo said:

Because the society represents Black lawyers I'd guess!

• Wonder if there's a society for white lawyers?
  • ha ha last 30 seconds that one before Rio(Martin Luther King) Ferdinhand had his tee shirt off.
  • Rizzo said:

Wonder if there's a society for white lawyers?

Doubt it, the white guys probably feel that they are well enough represented in the industry and equality is not an issue. Law is a traditionally stuffy, upper class, who-you-know profession which is probably further behind most when it comes to gender and race equality.

Actually, I know it is because I spent nine months of my life on a research project about it.

• I completely understand and agree with their existence.

But unless they have any extra information or evidence (which surely is unlikely) than what is currently on the whole hearsay in the press, then I fail to understand why they have complained to the Met.
  • I'm hoping that referees now complain to the Met or relevant police service when any player swears at them on the pitch.
  • There's been a lot of discussions about legal issues lately, but I haven't spotted any contributions from legaladdick. I miss them.
  • olster said:

I completely understand and agree with their existence.

But unless they have any extra information or evidence (which surely is unlikely) than what is currently on the whole hearsay in the press, then I fail to understand why they have complained to the Met.

But what has it got to do with them at all?

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2012
  • olster said:

“The Society of Black Lawyers wishes to record the incident that took place at Chelsea FC as a racial incident according to ACPO [Association of Chief Police Officers] guidelines.

Our information is that racist remarks were directed at John Mikel Obi and at Juan Mata. If so, that is wholly unacceptable in any circumstances.

Although this matter may be investigated by the FA it is appropriate that the MPS independently see if a racially-aggravated offence has occurred."

The SBL has a long and decent history. From what I have read, it may be that the organisation is showing signs of some internal dissent with the more radical elements taking a tougher line.

• my lad (12) was watching some of this unfold on the box the other day and said "why do they keep going on about black and white..can't they just get on with playing football".
  • Football is eating itself.

As for the SBL, I am black, well beige, and have been a lawyer for 12 years but I've never heard of them.
  • Macronate said:

my lad (12) was watching some of this unfold on the box the other day and said "why do they keep going on about black and white..can't they just get on with playing football".

Amen. Agree with your boy. Good on him, I really am getting sick and tired if it now. Would rather read about the football.

• olster said:

“The Society of Black Lawyers wishes to record the incident that took place at Chelsea FC as a racial incident according to ACPO [Association of Chief Police Officers] guidelines.

Our information is that racist remarks were directed at John Mikel Obi and at Juan Mata. If so, that is wholly unacceptable in any circumstances.

Although this matter may be investigated by the FA it is appropriate that the MPS independently see if a racially-aggravated offence has occurred."

The SBL has a long and decent history. From what I have read, it may be that the organisation is showing signs of some internal dissent with the more radical elements taking a tougher line.

I'm not disputing that the SBL is a decent organisation, but isn't that long and decent history not dealing with discrimination within the legal profession?

This is now the second time in a month that they've got involved in a football dispute. Surely it was up to Mikel, Mata or Chelsea to get the police involved and not an organisation that is acting outside their own remit.

Their two main aims on their website:

1) to work towards the elimination of racial discrimination within the legal profession, which prevented people from ethnic minority communities from accessing legal education and training opportunities; and

2) to work towards the achievement of true equality of opportunity and equal access to justice for all people from minority ethnic communities through the provision of effective legal representation, advocacy, education and leadership.

While you could maybe argue that by reporting it to the police they're working under their second aim, my point stands that Mikel, Mata & Chelsea are in a better position to report any allegations, and none of them are in a position where their 'equal access to justice' are compromised.

All that said and done, I'm highly sceptical that Clattenberg did say anything racist.
  • olster said:

But what has it got to do with them at all?

See above - I agree mate.
  • edited October 2012
    The police confirmed their involvement last night following a request from the society of black lawyers to investigate.

Society chairman Peter Herbert admits his organisation has no knowledge of what happened at Stamford Bridge and are basing their complaint solely on reports they have read in the media and on social networks.

LOL you gotta laugh!