Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charge to use Blackwall Tunnel

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/drivers-to-be-charged-2-to-use-blackwall-tunnel-under-tfl-plans-8252941.html

£2 fee proposed to use the Blackwall Tunnel. I give up. What are these ********* going to charge for next?

Comments

• Voting
  • Why am I not surprised?
  • All aboard the ferry then.
  • pathway tolls for foot traffic in town centres?
  • Good idea. Will force the riff raff to use the free tunnel at Dartford.
  • Just about as sensible an idea as the current one to charge us for the use of motorways and major A roads. Can you just imagine how much traffic that would push onto the smaller routes and add hugely to the general pollution levels. If I was 25 years younger I would be out of this nut house called Britain like a shot.
  • Surprised it has taken them this long to suggest it, they have had their eye on it for ages. £4 a day for a return trip in a car is a liberty. Expect it to be dearer for vans and lorries.
  • It's ok though because Boris is a laugh isn't he?
  • If I was 25 years younger I would be out of this nut house called Britain like a shot.

with you there, wish I had years ago

• http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/drivers-to-be-charged-2-to-use-blackwall-tunnel-under-tfl-plans-8252941.html

£2 fee proposed to use the Blackwall Tunnel. I give up. What are these ********* going to charge for next?

breathing
  • Sponsored links:

• where will space be found for the toll booths ?
  • I think this is a good idea as the traffic flows really smoothly through here, so I don't imagine there will be any disruption at all

Surely if this madness goes ahead it will be along the lines of the congestion charge. No toll booths just number plate recognition ?

• As soon as they took the tidal flow away from Blackwall it was inevitable that they would start to charge for it.
  • Use the East London River crossing instead?
  • What a load of shite, so to get from south of the river to north of the river you now have to pay at Dartford, pay at Blackwall or drive all the way into central London and pay the congestion charge? This country is a fecking joke at times, and what with the London Bridge upgrade (guaranteed to push ticket prices up ridiculously, yet again!) and it's no wonder this country is going completely tits up

Surely if this madness goes ahead it will be along the lines of the congestion charge. No toll booths just number plate recognition ?

true .. more money for Capita .. every time I come to London it seems a more crowded, manic and hostile place. Don't flee Blighty SHG, just get out of the concrete madhouse
  • Kap10 said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/drivers-to-be-charged-2-to-use-blackwall-tunnel-under-tfl-plans-8252941.html

breathing
    Don't give them ideas please!
  • edited October 2012

Use the East London River crossing instead?

Had an email from TFL this morning re my views on proposals to imrove river crossing at silvertown & gallions reach.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: 'These two new major river crossings will be an enormous economic boost to Londoners living and working in the east of the Capital, facilitate further regeneration and development, and help to keep our city moving. I hope Londoners will get involved with this consultation and make their voices heard on these exciting proposals.'
  • edited October 2012
    "TfL will have to listen very carefully to the views of drivers"

Sure yeah, they'll have to pretend to listen. Then they'll press on and do whatever they bloody well like.

At an extra £4 per game that would add nearly £100 to the price of watching Charlton for a season and for some of us poorer Essex Addicks could be enough to price some out of going. I hope the club makes some representations, but I won't hold my breath.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think privatising all of the major roads in Britain would be a great idea.
  • Already written to my MP to insist he opposes this charge at every opportunity. South East London is already the poor relation in terms of transport links and river crossings and I suggest that if the two proposed new river crossings are of such economic value to the country then it is the country that picks up the tab. Perhaps the estimated 200 million wasted on the Virgin Trains tender could have helped.
  • edited October 2012
    What they are saying (believe what you will, I don't trust any of them) is that there won't be tolling until the Silvertown tunnel is completed, 2021 at the earliest. If it's like every other crossing that's been planned for that area it'll never happen.

An old boy where I work loves telling the tale of his uncle, who was a civil engineer, rubbing his hands about a contract for a bridge in the Blackwall area. That was in 1951.....
  • Just about as sensible an idea as the current one to charge us for the use of motorways and major A roads. Can you just imagine how much traffic that would push onto the smaller routes and add hugely to the general pollution levels. If I was 25 years younger I would be out of this nut house called Britain like a shot.

Unless you are going to live on your own island, no where else is any better mate.

Unless you are going to live on your own island, no where else is any better mate.
    When the ice cap melts Shooters Hill will be an island ;0)

• I live in Bethnal Green and the Blackwall Tunnel is my gateway back home. I can get to Charlton in 20 minutes and back to see my mum in Eltham in 30 minutes on a good day. This idea is going to cost me loads if I don't want to take the Rotherhithe or Tower Bridge which will just add another half hour to my journey. I am not going to support it! Yes I am selfish too!
  • "There would certainly be no tolling on the Blackwall Tunnel before the proposed Silvertown Crossing was completed, which would be 2021 at the very earliest."

As Big William said, see above. Suggest the thread is reopened in 2021 :-)
  • It won't happen whils Boris is Mayor.
  • Unbelievable Jeff!
  • If you don't like it then don't drive, simple as. You earn enough to pay it so stop being tight arses