Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Draws don't help much in the Championship

As much as Leeds and Wolves away are good points, the thing is, it would be better to have beaten Barnsley 1-0 and lose 5-0 at Leeds and 5-0 at Wolves. It#s wins that really count. Hopefully we'll build on the draws and get a couple of wins from the next few games. Of the 6 games in November, considering 4 are at home and the away games are winnable ones, we should be aiming for 3 victories at least.

It's such an unforgiving league and with everyone beating each other, we have to keep our wins tally as high as possible.

I thought we were good in the seocnd half at Wolves. If Hulse was the player he was a few years ago we'd have won. Of the 4 decent chances he had in the 2nd half, I wouldn't mind betting that Fuller, in the same positions, would have scored 3 of them, Yann 2 and BWP 1.

We seem to play better without Green and Stephens

Comments

• Wins are three times better than draws.
    Draws are infinitely better than defeats.
    So far we've got five points from draws.
    If we didn't have those five points, we'd be second from bottom.
    Draws help a lot in The Championship.
  • I have to say i will take a draw any day over a loss. My feeling is that our draws will soon be wins, think we are still trying to settle in this leaque.
  • Agree with op
  • Looking at the table draws are nowhere as good as wins and looking at November we could do with a few wins...
    But I'm sure SCP is delighted with the squad and how it's developing considering the injuries and draws are part of building... not losing has to be the first step to winning
  • Splodge said:

As much as Leeds and Wolves away are good points, the thing is, it would be better to have beaten Barnsley 1-0 and lose 5-0 at Leeds and 5-0 at Wolves.

You can't be serious?

Yes you gain an extra point from that, but do you really think we would be set up well to get anything out of the next game if we had lost the last two 5-0? Really?

Getting points are always important but the relentless emphasis on results will come later in the season. For now, getting some reasonable consistency and comfort in the Championship is fine as long as we aren't getting beat every week, which we're not.

• cafctom said:

Splodge said:

As much as Leeds and Wolves away are good points, the thing is, it would be better to have beaten Barnsley 1-0 and lose 5-0 at Leeds and 5-0 at Wolves.

You can't be serious?

Yes you gain an extra point from that, but do you really think we would be set up well to get anything out of the next game if we had lost the last two 5-0? Really?

Getting points are always important but the relentless emphasis on results will come later in the season. For now, getting some reasonable consistency and comfort in the Championship is fine as long as we aren't getting beat every week, which we're not.

I agree about the 5-0's and how that would be demoralising,
    But it's still a vallid point 3 points are better than 2 FACT .
  • I think our morale would be shot to pieces if we'd just got spanked 5-0 twice in a row.
  • It's all about confidence and away draws are confidence building .
  • cafctom said:

Splodge said:

You can't be serious?

I agree about the 5-0's and how that would be demoralising,
    But it's still a vallid point 3 points are better than 2 FACT .
    In the extreme short-term, yes, but it's all about what form you are in for the here and now and as things stand we are in OK form with two solid away draws. I would be baffled if we had been thrashed two games in a row, and then if someone came on here and went "Well.....Could be worse - at least we beat Barnsley three games ago....."

• In theory yes a win and 2 loses would have been better points wise but you can't choose results. Once we lost to Barnsley that's it, move on to the next games. More frustrating that we should have got 4 points and may have had 6 from them but there can't be many realistic fans who wouldn't have taken 2 draws if offered.
  • Sponsored links:

• As much as any other league.....
  • limeygent said:

As much as any other league.....

Another gay thread!

• You are only as good as your last result .an away draw against wolves is very acceptable. A home defeat on Saturday would not be.more than any other factor losing at home again would shoot confidence to bits but I don't see that happening with the team spirit that we have got. Unfortunately however another draw is on the cards.
  • Stig said:

Wins are three times better than draws.
    Draws are infinitely better than defeats.
    So far we've got five points from draws.
    If we didn't have those five points, we'd be second from bottom.
    Draws help a lot in The Championship.

... and a very favourable goal difference compared to those around us
  • I think the old maxim that you win your home games and draw your away games is still valid. The fact of the matter is that we have only won one home game otherwise we would be at the other end of the table.
  • Is this thread for real ? '3 pts are better than 2... Fact'

Well thanks for clearing that up statto
  • edited October 2012
    shine166 said:

Is this thread for real ? '3 pts are better than 2... Fact'

But some people don't quite seem to understand that simple fact. (CAFC Tom being one judging by his comment)

Witness their preference for two points from the three games as opposed to three that a win over Barnsley and two 5-0 defeats at Wolves and Leeds would have brought.

Yes, the draws there will have brought confidence but I didn't see a column for that last time I looked at the Championship table
  • BREAKING NEWS - 3 is bigger than 1. Pictures at 11.00
  • shine166 said:

But some people don't quite seem to understand that simple fact. (CAFC Tom being one judging by his comment)

Witness their preference for two points from the three games as opposed to three that a win over Barnsley and two 5-0 defeats at Wolves and Leeds would have brought.

Yes, the draws there will have brought confidence but I didn't see a column for that last time I looked at the Championship table
    I agree with CAFC Tom on this one, two 5 nil defeats would leave me feeling a lot worse than I do currently about our league position even if we had an extra point. Could also be likely CP would be close to getting the boot.
  • What if we had beaten Barnsely 2-0 and lost to Wolves and Leeds by 1-0 in typical plucky Charlton defeats.?
  • Sponsored links:

• I would suggest that ten goals conceded over two games is as bad as dropping an extra point anyway at this stage purely from a goal difference perspective.
  • Kap10 said:

What if we had beaten Barnsely 2-0 and lost to Wolves and Leeds by 1-0 in typical plucky Charlton defeats.?

Yeah I'd take that
  • cafctom said:

I would suggest that ten goals conceded over two games is as bad as dropping an extra point anyway at this stage purely from a goal difference perspective.

exactly.
  • Could've done with a few draws the year Parkinson took us down, we floundered about, directionless, with great swathes of loanees, but a few negative dull home draws, where we parked the bus if need be, would've given us some kind of platform to fight back in the last five or so games of that season. Many clubs (Barnet being a good example) know that you must stay in touch, and take any point you can, because at the end of a season you get a glimmer of hope. When we went down under Parkinson it felt like we were doomed for ages.
    If we have to be negative to avoid defeat in the next two home games then so be it.
  • shine166 said:

I think its more the point that losing 2 away games 0-5 in a row, would have ruined any confidence we had and maybe seen Powell out of the door (if some posts are to be believed).. so actually I think they do understand.
  • We're struggling in the league but it does not feel like we are struggling (well mostly), all of the loses and draws have been very close. I think we have been extremely unlucky so far but, how much longer we can carry on being unlucky I dont know, at some point it is going to have an effect on our performance/confidence.

The margins are very, very tight and at some point that got to work in our favour.
  • shine166 said:

Ok end of season, we win every home game and lose every away and finish on 69 points and stay up!

Or we can lose every home game and draw every away game, and finish on 23 points and get relegated !

This is only the fact im trying to get at !
  • I agree with Spodge's sentiment but I think he made a big mistake saying two 5-0 defeats as one thing that may just save us this season is our goal difference - but I understand what he is trying to say.

I said to my lad as we came away from Molyneux on Saturday that it would have been better us losing against leeds and winning at wolves (or vice versa) because of the fact that 3 points are better than 2 and although it may be good not to lose, its even better to win !!

• They help keep your kidneys warm in the winter if they are thermal.