Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Bridge is ..

Comments

• Options
    No doubt we'll be payinng more for this service as well.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Given that there are twice as many Charing X trains on the Bexleyheath line as there are Cannon St I am hopeful that not stopping at London Bridge will discourage many people from getting the Cannon St train and changing at London Bridge, meaning more seats on the train for those of us actually going to Cannon St.

Unfortunately, when the Charing X trains aren't stopping there it will have the opposite effect :(

The service to LB from New Eltham is good, but they are all mainly CX trains, fast and semifast. Only 3 trains to CS between 8 and 9 so I suspect there will be an overhaul of the schedules to cope with this on all 3 lines.

If not, it looks like the CAFC cycling club could be born :-)
  • Options
    What does all this mean for the fare dodgers?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

What does all this mean for the fare dodgers?

They can sit on the roof!

• Options
    They'll have another way of justifying their fare dodging to themselves?
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Flippin' Thameslink. It's already ruined Borough Market and closed down the best pub in the world (The Wheatsheaf). All to improve travel from Bedford to Brighton. Sheesh.

Has The Wheatsheaf closed?

I used to drink in there back in 1978-80, the guvnor was called Sid. Great times!

Re the London Bridge development, why don't they make London Bridge the terminus and close the lines to Charing Cross and Cannon St?
    LB has such good tube links now, would it be any worse?

• Options
    Why not just scrap Cannon Street.
    It is only 5 minute walk from London Bridge anyway.
    Albeit a cold windy 5 minutes
  • Options
    D_F_T said:

Vincenzo said:

Flippin' Thameslink. It's already ruined Borough Market and closed down the best pub in the world (The Wheatsheaf). All to improve travel from Bedford to Brighton. Sheesh.

Re the London Bridge development, why don't they make London Bridge the terminus and close the lines to Charing Cross and Cannon St?
    LB has such good tube links now, would it be any worse?

I always thought that they should use London Bridge as a terminus and then just run shuttles back and forth for Cannon Street/Charing Cross. The amount of time it takes for a train to crawl from LB to Cannon Street is a joke, you could walk it quicker!

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

True, but on the train you avoid at least ten people trying to thrust magazines into your hand, or relieve you of loose change, and also miss the smell of the bacon rolls and piss!

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

No way. I hate hate London Bridge station. I do anything to avoid having to change there. Get on at Cannon Street and get a nice cosy seat and avoid all that pushing and shoving at London Bridge.

Cannon Street rocks, specially if you are on the Woolwich line as there is a train every 10 mins up till 9pm.

Whoops talking about trains and stations. Choo Choo.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Cannon Street rocks, specially if you are on the Woolwich line as there is a train every 10 mins up till 9pm.

That's something I don't understand. Even in the middle of the day when there's no bugger on the trains, there are 6 trains an hour on the Woolwich line! That's 3 times as many as I get on the Bexleyheath line in the frakkin rush hour!!

• Options
    So glad I don't commute any more. The number of times the Bexleyheath line train would be short or cancelled, whilst they Hayes line train would be ridiculously long and half empty.
  • Options

So glad I don't commute any more. The number of times the Bexleyheath line train would be short or cancelled, whilst they Hayes line train would be ridiculously long and half empty.

Now I don't live on the line it's amazing how much better it seems to be. Whenever I'm waiting in the cold and pissing rain for a Sidcup line train along with thousands of others it's amazing how 25-carriage Hayes trains seem to come through every 2 minutes and all completely empty!

Trains.

Woo woooooo!!!

• Options

MrOneLung said:

True, but on the train you avoid at least ten people trying to thrust magazines into your hand, or relieve you of loose change, and also miss the smell of the bacon rolls and piss!

I used to pop in that place that sells 'the best bacon rolls in town' in my city days.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Bring it on, nice dollop of rail work to look forward to.
    Makes having the 3 months enforced time off for the Olympics seem worthwhile.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

I used to pop in that place that sells 'the best bacon rolls in town' in my city days.
    Yes, a rather valid claim IMO.
  • Options
    What's not clear from that video is where buses/taxi will stop. The current bus station isn't shown at all, and with widening (which there isn't room for) I can't see how they can accommodate extra buses and taxi ranks in Tooley St or St Thomas St.
  • Options
    I really like the new Blackfriars station now you can connect to the tube again.

Much better facilities and access plus you can exit on the south bank.

Also the trains from Bickley go to Farringson, St Pancress and even on to Kentish Town and Luton (not sure why anyone in Bromley would want to go to Luton but there you go).

I wish that there was more than one train a day to London Bridge though. Yes one a day, not one an hour. Takes 25 mins to walk to Chislehurst and it's up hill : - )
  • Options

What's not clear from that video is where buses/taxi will stop. The current bus station isn't shown at all, and with widening (which there isn't room for) I can't see how they can accommodate extra buses and taxi ranks in Tooley St or St Thomas St.

dont help someone sticking a massive piece of shard next to the bloody station.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

(not sure why anyone in Bromley would want to go to Luton but there you go).

To get to the airport for business trips.

• Options

Also the trains from Bickley go to Farringson, St Pancress and even on to Kentish Town and Luton (not sure why anyone in Bromley would want to go to Luton but there you go).

Or vice versa :-)
  • Options

(not sure why anyone in Bromley would want to go to Luton but there you go).

To get to the airport for business trips.

Or for Jolly's to Gran Canaria or Ibiza :-)!

• Options
    #YouKnow
  • Options
    If you wanted a plane you'd go to Luton Airport Parkway not Luton

: - )
  • Options

Which town is Luton Airport in?
  • Options

Which town is Luton Airport in?
    Don't you mean London Luton Airport?

• Options
    Depends if it's RyanAir or Easyjet.
  • Options
    Looks great - and certainly better than the shithole that's there now! And if it stops the ridiculous bottle neck most mornings then it's all good - though will be a bit of a nightmare between now and then.

The buses and taxis are going to stop where they are now - if you've been there recently that area has already changed fairly dramatically.

• Options
    Not been recently, but heading up there for some beer in early December, so will be interesting to see the changes. Last time I was there it was a building site and you couldn't see anything.