Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London Bridge is ..

Seems ages since we had a decent train story on here. Will no doubt affect a few Lifers and match day travel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20123256

Comments

• oh love this!

Southeastern trains to Charing Cross will not call at London Bridge for a year from 2015 and services to Canon Street will also not halt there between 2016 until late 2017.
  • It's been coming for years. They are going to put the concourse for platforms 1-6 in the vaults/tunnels/arches underneath the tracks apparently - a bit like St Pancras.

Will probably be great when it's done - but an absolute nightmare until then.
  • potentially 5 years of disruption.

don't see why they can't get a million workers in all at once and knock it out within a few weeks.
  • I blame Thatcher
  • Macronate said:

potentially 5 years of disruption.

don't see why they can't get a million workers in all at once and knock it out within a few weeks.

If only that was possible!
  • Powell out.
  • Huskaris said:

Powell out.

This.
  • 5 years - that's almost as long as they spent on Blackfriars!
  • I thought London Bridge was falling down again
  • I remember when London Bridge was being rebuilt in the 1970s - it was chaos trying to get to work during the disruption even back then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

I remember when London Bridge was being rebuilt in the 1870s - it was chaos trying to get to work during the disruption even back then.

• I work in St Thomas Street the whole place is one big building site..i can't see our building being there for much longer.
  • Glovepup said:

oh love this!

Southeastern trains to Charing Cross will not call at London Bridge for a year from 2015 and services to Canon Street will also not halt there between 2016 until late 2017.

It'll be a pain to get to Charlton, as for 2-3 years you won't be able to go to London Bridge and have a choice of trains from Charing X or Cannon St, it'll be one or the other...
  • Ahem....... thank you, Ads.

;o)
  • Walk across the bridge to Waterloo East from Charing Cross !
  • Re-development looks smart though.... But reckon it will still smell of piss a year after completion
  • Glovepup said:

oh love this!

It'll be a pain to get to Charlton, as for 2-3 years you won't be able to go to London Bridge and have a choice of trains from Charing X or Cannon St, it'll be one or the other...
    Think it's trains going to Charing Cross and Canon St which are affected. But who knows!

As the man says, it's the train passengers who will be the biggest winners in this investment. Yeh right!
  • as a commuter to/from cannon street it seems good for me that it wont stop at london bridge. Will be aggro though for lots of others.
  • Flippin' Thameslink. It's already ruined Borough Market and closed down the best pub in the world (The Wheatsheaf). All to improve travel from Bedford to Brighton. Sheesh.
  • Re-development looks smart though.... But reckon it will still smell of piss a year after completion

That stench of a hundred and fifty years of piss won't go away overnight you know........
  • Sponsored links:

• Glovepup said:

oh love this!

Think it's trains going to Charing Cross and Canon St which are affected. But who knows!

As the man says, it's the train passengers who will be the biggest winners in this investment. Yeh right!
    Ah, I didn't notice the 'to' bit, and presumed it was both ways!
    Vincenzo said:

Flippin' Thameslink. It's already ruined Borough Market and closed down the best pub in the world (The Wheatsheaf). All to improve travel from Bedford to Brighton. Sheesh.

The Wheatsheaf is meant to reopening this autumn

• The Wheatsheaf on Southwark Street, by Borough Market? Was in there yesterday.
  • Glovepup said:

oh love this!

Ah, I didn't notice the 'to' bit, and presumed it was both ways!
    Vincenzo said:

Flippin' Thameslink. It's already ruined Borough Market and closed down the best pub in the world (The Wheatsheaf). All to improve travel from Bedford to Brighton. Sheesh.

The Wheatsheaf is meant to reopening this autumn

Been hearing that. i hope it's true and that is becomes a great pub again.
  • RedPanda said:

The Wheatsheaf on Southwark Street, by Borough Market? Was in there yesterday.

That's the 'new' Wheatsheaf, the original is next to Borough Market, and has been closed as the new railway bridge slices through its top story.
  • RedPanda said:

The Wheatsheaf on Southwark Street, by Borough Market? Was in there yesterday.

No, the Wheatsheaf on Stoney Street right by the market. The guvnor there took over what is now The Wheatsheaf on Southwark Street.
  • Ah, okay. I know a fair few places around there but not the original Wheat Sheaf. Think I need to check out the German bar next to the new one too.
  • Have just realised. No trains stopping at LB will mean I wont be able to cuff round there after work and still be able to get the train home.

There's a lot of boozers in the area whose profits will suffer - from the loss of my business alone!
  • RedPanda said:

Ah, okay. I know a fair few places around there but not the original Wheat Sheaf. Think I need to check out the German bar next to the new one too.

Quite like the Rake.
  • I guess it just means that even more people will now use the London Overground service from New Cross to Canada Water, changing to the Jubilee Line for London Bridge. Will cause bloody chaos at New Cross too.
  • Given that there are twice as many Charing X trains on the Bexleyheath line as there are Cannon St I am hopeful that not stopping at London Bridge will discourage many people from getting the Cannon St train and changing at London Bridge, meaning more seats on the train for those of us actually going to Cannon St.

Unfortunately, when the Charing X trains aren't stopping there it will have the opposite effect :(