Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derren Brown - Apocalypse

Comments

• Options
    DA9 said:

He was hypnotised originally in the application process, Derren Brown merely sent him back to that point, ie, he never completely took him out of it, the suggestion/trigger points were still there. My ex sister in law was hypnotised many years ago on a holiday in tenerife, it was in no way faked, they had her roaring like a lion when she exhaled a cigarette in the bar later, running around like james bond to the theme music and not able to sit down on "hot chairs", she remembered none of it, we even showed her the video I took.

I'm not debating that people can be hypnotised just not in the way Derren did it. I accept that people can be taken back to the point of the original conditioning but not by simply putting hands over eyes and saying sleep. It would require more of a build up. Also he was walked to a room, had his clothes changed and put on a bed to sleep all while supposedly being totally unaware what was going on. I just do not believe this is possible.
  • Options
    theres absolutely no way that he could have lived his life thinking an asteroid was coming without someone going 'what are you talking about mate?'
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2012
    Talal said:

DA9 said:

He was hypnotised originally in the application process, Derren Brown merely sent him back to that point, ie, he never completely took him out of it, the suggestion/trigger points were still there. My ex sister in law was hypnotised many years ago on a holiday in tenerife, it was in no way faked, they had her roaring like a lion when she exhaled a cigarette in the bar later, running around like james bond to the theme music and not able to sit down on "hot chairs", she remembered none of it, we even showed her the video I took.

I'm not debating that people can be hypnotised just not in the way Derren did it. I accept that people can be taken back to the point of the original conditioning but not by simply putting hands over eyes and saying sleep. It would require more of a build up. Also he was walked to a room, had his clothes changed and put on a bed to sleep all while supposedly being totally unaware what was going on. I just do not believe this is possible.
    Well, my ex sister in law did loads of stuff she was told to do under hypnosis, without remembering it, walk here, go there, dance, stand up, sit down, so telling someone to walk somewhere, put different clothes on (which was done on the night i am talking about also) and get into a bed would be fairly normal stuff for a hypnotist to tell someone to do, he also told her and others to "sleep" with a touch of a shoulder, click of a finger etc, so all normal hypnotist procedure.

• Options
    Your ex sister in law was at a hypnotism show so the premise is totally different but my point really is that I don't believe it is possible for Derren or anyone else to take someone back to the original point of conditioning by putting hands over eyes and saying sleep. So his following actions, walking to room etc he would have been aware of.
  • Options
    LOL this thread. Hypnotism is utter bollocks. End of.
  • Options

Great input, don't know why you open the thread.
  • Options

What do you mean ?

I saw my mate hypnotised. Although I've got a feeling we've had this discussion before.
  • Options
    I'm with Gary. If I was spending some time believing there was a potentially dangerous meteor storm I'd surely mention it to a casual acquaintances, or put something on Twitter or the Facebooks or a forum. And that's if you buy the magic hacker who cannot be filmed and the hypnotism.
  • Options
    regardless of the rest of it, someone i went to school with used to hypnotise people in a similar way to derren brown. I know this sounds like BS & i wouldn't believe it if i hadn't seen this guy I knew quite well do it...but it is possible, convinced of it! (and no, he hasn't hypnotised me)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've got first hand experience of being on stage with him and I believe he is one of the best cold readers and body language experts out there. He can elicit detailed information from just watching you and gauging your reaction to questions.

I begin to get sceptical when he begins to practice his hypnotism tricks. These I find a little odd although, again, seeing them first hand does make me wonder quite how people can be 'put under' so quickly.

Then there's the TV bollocks he does. I really don't get most of it to be honest. He's an absolute genius at the first bit I mentioned so why do all the showbizzy crap? (£'s from Ch4 no doubt).

Shame really because I like him as an entertainer. Just not on the TV.
  • Options
    Worth reading his book. He said he couldnt believe the things he got people to do onstage
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Agree 100% with P_Air

I cannot stand 'mind readers' and the like, that prey on the weak and take their money. my gf's mum is mad for all that and wastes her money being fed a load of crap from a con artist.

Browns stage stuff gives an insight how they do it, the techniques they use, and its brilliant.

The big money gimmicky crap he does now is shocking.
  • Options
    At least Derren Brown never pretends he has psychic powers like those medium frauds, I'll give him that. The series he did recreating all their tricks was one of his better ones
  • Options

I'm with Gary. If I was spending some time believing there was a potentially dangerous meteor storm I'd surely mention it to a casual acquaintances, or put something on Twitter or the Facebooks or a forum. And that's if you buy the magic hacker who cannot be filmed and the hypnotism.

Most blokes would probably be too busy trying to get laid as often as possible before the end of the world to be posting on facebook.

• Options
    My 22 year old step-daughter was staying with us and wanted to watch it. It was complete and utter crap.

If, by some chance it HAPPENED to be genuine, I would deplore the clever-clever mental torture of some poor sucker for the sake of "entertainment".
  • Options
    DA9 said:

.. they had her roaring like a lion when she exhaled a cigarette in the bar later, running around like james bond to the theme music and not able to sit down on "hot chairs", she remembered none of it, we even showed her the video I took.

Reminds me of my messy clubbing days.
  • Options
    Zzzzz there is obviously a lot of background work that goes in. As long as its not completely fake it entertained me for an hour.
  • Options
    I'm well sceptical, BUT I watched a mate of mine get hypnotised in magaluf out of season (the resort, not him) and he was made to eat an onion like it was an apple, he then was made to speak like Steve Irwin.

We're talking about someone who won't eat garlic bread because it's 'foreign shit' like I say I abhor those who prey on the stupid gullible but I was convinced this larry absolutely influenced my pals behaviour that night
  • Options
    I guess even if you believe that hypnotism could exist, surely you'd accept that it couldn't really have occurred in the circumstances which occurred in the show ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe all these videos are part of the act, getting the audience more involved or something
  • Options
    Anyone doubting that he can get inside your head and mess with your mind to the extent that he did with that bloke should give his live show a go. It's easy enough to credit it to stooges, tv trickery, etc but seeing him doing it live to a randomly selected ordinary punter is another thing all together. He makes no secret that most of what he does is down to the power of suggestion applied in the right way to the right 'victim' so don't see what peoples problem is really.

Great night out if you get the chance too.
  • Options

Anyone doubting that he can get inside your head and mess with your mind to the extent that he did with that bloke should give his live show a go. It's easy enough to credit it to stooges, tv trickery, etc but seeing him doing it live to a randomly selected ordinary punter is another thing all together. He makes no secret that most of what he does is down to the power of suggestion applied in the right way to the right 'victim' so don't see what peoples problem is really.

thats if it is just a 'randomly selected ordinary punter' though...
  • Options

You mean his legal disclaimer may be a lie?
  • Options

Believe me it is, I've seen all of his live shows and caught the frisbee flung to the audience in Enigma but let my brother get up on stage. I can assure you my brother wasn't an actor. The trick that it lead to was mind blowing.

My mum is a hypnotherapist so I know quite a lot about hypnotism, its certainly something that doesn't work on everyone. But with others you can pretty much make them do anything.

If you do ever go to a Derren Brown show you'll notice that a handful of people are turned away as they apprach the stage as it's clear they can't be worked with.
  • Options
    RedArmySE7, I was wondering if you know of the reason why some people are suceptible and others are not. Perhaps it works easily on a day dreamer type of person.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

RedArmySE7, I was wondering if you know of the reason why some people are suceptible and others are not. Perhaps it works easily on a day dreamer type of person.

I don't know, some people claim that anyone can be hypnotized it just takes longer with some people. Maybe its just that showmen/therapist see these people as too much of a challenge and don't bother. However my Mum is adament that I can't be hypnotized, she's tried countless times with me but just had no joy. I just reckon it's luck of the draw!
  • Options
    maybe cos of that barnet you cant look into the eyes. not around the eyes, in the eyes.
  • Options
    Stop with your hair envy.
  • Options
    SHEILAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA