Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fantastic Article on Dagenham & Redbridge - The Realities of Lower League Survival

Only just read this, what a great read.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19716096

.....I love the quote from the side-bar story on Mackail-Smith, "If he's no good he's back to two complimentary tickets (rather than the three he requested) like everyone else."

D&R survive on a total of just THREE full-time staff on the administration side!

Comments

• Options
    My local team, only a few miles away.
    Can't stress just how small a club they are, and just how small a fanbase they have.

How they survive financially i don't know. I went to Wembley with a couple of mates who have season tickets at Dag'nam and remember reading that promotion to League 1 would cost them financially rather than reward them. Something to do with having to upgrade the floodlights from non-league standards.

Met John Still a few times as he's my mates uncle and is family with some of my neighbours, what a legend he is.

On a separate note, i wasn't alive during the dark days of selhurst, so for me the worst moment as a fan was seeing us lose at Dagenham a couple seasons back. All my life they had just been that local team who got a weekly column in the Romford recorder, and all of a sudden we're in the same league and they're taking 4 points off us.