Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I have an iphone 4 and want an iphone 5 , is it worth changing?

2»

Comments

• Options
    buckshee said:

Really undecided.

The buy back company's don't want to offer me more than £120 for my 4 even though its only a few months old.

I'm so indecisive that the 5s will be out by the time my mind's made up.

You'd get more for it on eBay. Those companies are a joke.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Greenie said:

Been a Mac supporter for 20 years, got the iphone 4s. They have just done an upgrade to ios6. So I try to back up my phone on my G5 Mac, and itunes needs upgrading, so I upgraded only to be told that my Mac OS needs upgrading to run latest itunes, only I cant 'cos my computer does not support the latest Mac OS software cos my G5 does not have intel.
    Spent an hour with Orange and then Apple, only to be told that there is nothing they can do, they cannot reverse the iphone upgrade so I will need to buy a newer computer. Fecking useless bastards, so phone is now not fit for purpose, so I will have to cancel the contract.
    Beware.

Can't you use someone else's mac to update to IOS6?

Can't you update iOS and BackUp to iCloud over wifi these days?
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Greenie said:

Been a Mac supporter for 20 years, got the iphone 4s. They have just done an upgrade to ios6. So I try to back up my phone on my G5 Mac, and itunes needs upgrading, so I upgraded only to be told that my Mac OS needs upgrading to run latest itunes, only I cant 'cos my computer does not support the latest Mac OS software cos my G5 does not have intel.
    Spent an hour with Orange and then Apple, only to be told that there is nothing they can do, they cannot reverse the iphone upgrade so I will need to buy a newer computer. Fecking useless bastards, so phone is now not fit for purpose, so I will have to cancel the contract.
    Beware.

Can't you use someone else's mac to update to IOS6?
    My sisters Fiance has the same problem. You can upgrade your phone without the need for iTunes these days which has caught a few out I reckon.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Beware.

It is quite easy to go back to iOS 5.1. If you google it they will give you instructions. If you are not sure PM me and I'll email you a link.

The only problem is going to be restoring your phone. You will only be able to do it from the last backup you did before you upgraded to iOS 6.

Alternatively you can backup to the cloud.
  • Options
    Just found out that it's quite possible the iphone 5 won't work with my Sony made for ipod radio. May well be going back if it don't .
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Greenie, don't know if this helps but here's a link that suggests you can use ios6 and iTunes 10.6.3 (the last PPC supported version)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4317678?start=0&tstart=0

Haven't read it all though.... and like quite a few of the posts on CL, could be complete tosh
  • Options
    All, thanks for everyones help and advice.
    Kings Hill, I googled reverting my phone to ios 5.1. I followed the instructions, however when I go to sync it on my Mac it still cannot work with itunes because itunes still 'sees' the ios6. Therefore it wont let me reload the old ios 5.
    I have sent you a PM, hopefully your link/idea will work. Cheers.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I have a Galaxy Ace 2 (not the S3 which is a real stunner.)

Compared with my Blackberry this is a fantastic phone.
    I am currently using a Mac at work. I love some of what it does and its look but I also dislike some of its inflexibility.

I guess its going to be the same for the iPhone. You get a great overall package but you lose the flexibility that you get with Samsung's Android phones.

I marvel at the functionality of smart phones and I have moved on from my somewhat ludite mates who tell me "a phone is a phone" - they are so much more than a phone.
  • Options
    Things like this make them more than a phone.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

Just imagine how good this could be for small business such as market traders to be able to take credit and debit card payments or even Paypal itself.

I remember when the 3G phones first came out around ten years ago. They were rubbish really. The iPhone is the product that really opened things up and now with the Samsung stuff and others there's so much out there .
  • Options
    the S3 is £200 cheaper and has just got the Jelly Bean android update so I really can't justify anyone buying the iphone 5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

the S3 is £200 cheaper and has just got the Jelly Bean android update so I really can't justify anyone buying the iphone 5

I like the size of the iPhone , S3 too big for me . Plus I have 4 years worth of apps I wouldn't want to lose.

Plus the iPhone 5 is 4g compatible not all of the S3's are , only the newer ones.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Things like this make them more than a phone.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

Just imagine how good this could be for small business such as market traders to be able to take credit and debit card payments or even Paypal itself.

I remember when the 3G phones first came out around ten years ago. They were rubbish really. The iPhone is the product that really opened things up and now with the Samsung stuff and others there's so much out there .

Went to a few pop up art shows in Portland a month or so back and saw these being used, great bit of kit which took seconds to use... much quicker than the chip n pin thing we have
  • Options
    Got the phone yesterday , sending it back tomorrow.

Nice phone and no doubt an improvement on the 4 but just not enough. Once 4G comes fully into effect then I may get one but until then it's too big an expense.

Fella at vodafone seemed shocked , said it was the first return he'd had.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Got the phone yesterday , sending it back tomorrow.

Nice phone and no doubt an improvement on the 4 but just not enough. Once 4G comes fully into effect then I may get one but until then it's too big an expense.

Fella at vodafone seemed shocked , said it was the first return he'd had.

Perhaps he will send it out to Czech, there's a 4 week waiting time.

Bing; once you live with both an iPhone and a Mac, you start to love the super simple synch of everything.

And then you find you are trapped in the eco-system, there's no escape :-)