Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jim Davidson...

..Regardless of what your political views are the bloke is a gent. He was drinking with a lot of Charlton fans in the Wetherspoons. He had already bought a round for about 10 people. When he left he gave a mate of mine £50 and said buy as many beers for you lot as you can.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed a gentleman of the highest order.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]Agreed a gentleman of the highest order.[/quote]

A noble gesture but he's someone who is by his own admission is an alcoholic.
  • Options
    I saw him in there, and i thought it strange.

He seemed to be on his own (now obviously Jim Davidson having a glass of wine on his own isn't going to be on his own for a while).

Was he really on his own?

(BTW- BFR, sorry, but i don't see the relevence f your post- into every life a little rain must pour-eh!)
  • Options
    (BTW- BFR, sorry, but i don't see the relevence f your post- into every life a little rain must pour-eh!)

I'm just saying he's been on record as having had a long-term alcohol problem for which he underwent treatment, obviously it didn't work.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No probs BFR-

For the record, and i'm sure PH and the others who mingled with him would have a better viewpoint as to how much he drank-

I like Jim Davidson, when he's on stage he makes me laugh, it's not subtle but his "woggle-eye" sketch is a classic in my mind. I'm just fascinated about the mind set of a "celeb" who goes into the pub on his own ( no law against it i know!) and flashes the cash knowing that there will be a number of, for want of a better phrase, hangers on who will want their photo taken with him. He also gave his mobile number to one of the group around him.

Maybe it's the "tears of a clown"

Or am i taking things too seriously ;-)
  • Options
    Jim walked in, he was meeting someone in there apparently who then called him and told him they would meet him at the ground. He came over and started speaking to a few of my mates. Spoke about games he had been to.

He had two drinks as he was driving. He gave his number as someone was talking about him doing some charity work or something like that. Had a chat and a laugh with him before he went to meet a few charlton directors.
  • Options
    I really don't like Jim Davidson as a comedian for a number of reasons but, from what I have heard from others, he is a proper Charlton fan and that cancels out a load of the other stuff. That's the great thing about being a supporter of a team like Charlton, there are probably loads of people around us who are our "Charlton" mates who we have almost nothing else in common with and with whom we might disagree on every conceivable subject but are held together by that unique Charlton ethos. Amazing, really!
  • Options
    Jim had arranged to meet me in the pub before the game before he went up to the directors box. He phoned me on our coach to check I was on the way so he hadn't just turned up in the pub on his own. Jim is a totally genuine man and he loved the atmosphere in the pub as much as the rest of us. I will be seeing him tomorrow night and will pass on your comments.
    BC
  • Options
    Jim Davidson is a Kidbrooke boy and from what others have told me has supported Charlton since the sixties.
  • Options
    JD is a geezer imo! JIM if your reading this fella, come and have a beer with us before the next game with the H block ultras!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He went to secondary school in Charlton I think.
  • Options
    yeh just looked it up on wikipedia, says he went to school in charlton and was born in sidcup. congrats Jim, you now have a new stalker ;-)
  • Options
    He lived in Holburne (?spelling) Road Kidbrooke for a long time. A former colleague's mother lived opposite his family home.
  • Options
    Maybe he can do some stand up(not at the bar) at the charlton lifers do? Best call the man in question.
  • Options
    Jim Davidson's allright - but no more Charlton Nil jokes, eh Jim?

Let me say.....I don't mind Charlton 3 Newcastle 0 jokes, eh Jim? ;-)
  • Options
    BFR - Everyone knows what he was but what is the point of your post. people are saying what a nice fella he was for buying people drinks and giving £50 for more yet you try the negative angle.

are you a journalist.
  • Options
    Saw Jim last night and he read all your comments (I printed them off for him)and he laughed out loud at the H block Ultra's invite.:-)
    BC
  • Options
    He sat behind me when we beat Man City 4-0 at the beginning of one season (christ it was 7 years ago...)

Spoke to my Mrs on the fone (we'd had our 1st boy 3/4 days previous) and was genuinely a nice bloke.

However outside of Charlton there are legions of bad stories about him. Not that he probably gives a monkeys!

Incidentally, he did a turn for Rufus's testimonial dinner. Was funny watching all the knobhead players being distinctly and predictably underwhelmed even before Jim had started....
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]Saw Jim last night and he read all your comments (I printed them off for him)and he laughed out loud at the H block Ultra's invite.:-)
    BC

wasnt supposed to find it funny, that was a serious invite mate. When any one of the 'H block ultras' gives an invite for a beer it should not be turned down ;-)

[cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Jim Davidson's allright - but no more Charlton Nil jokes, eh Jim?

i love that joke and still use it to this day!

JD, bring vergo if you want!
  • Options
    Well, I tried...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I overhead Jim saying 'fans shouldn't be blaming the owner but the board'

• Options

Well, I tried...

I'd prefer Roland.
  • Options
    iamdan said:

I overhead Jim saying 'fans shouldn't be blaming the owner but the board'

If he said that then he really is even dumber than even I imagined he was.
  • Options

Well, I tried...

Perhaps if he stopped buying rounds of drinks for strangers in pubs...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Jim Davidson is a Kidbrooke boy and from what others have told me has supported Charlton since the sixties.

I did a lot of away games with Jim (or Cam as we knew him) just after we left school. He went to St Austins, which used to be in Highcombe.

Charlton all the way through.
  • Options
    Saw this man today. Signing in to DWP HQ in Westminster where I work. Wonder if he was here to sign on?
  • Options

Saw this man today. Signing in to DWP HQ in Westminster where I work. Wonder if he was here to sign on?

New Minister for Comedy with portfolio...

(400 CL lefties self combust)
    What do the remaining (geddit) 400 do?
  • Options
    He is writing some jokes to put in with the letters telling you:

A) your revised retirement age is 70-something, we will let you know nearer the time.
    B) there isn't any money in the pension pot anyway.
  • Options
    I'm in Great Yarmouth a t m .. Jim is appearing at the Brittania Pier Theatre on August 12 & 22 (followed by Showaddywaddy ... yeah) and Sep 1 .. bargain at £19-21 .. Sarah Millican ? .. they want £26 a seat .. no further comment ((:>)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!