Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Electrician Needed

Got a household electrical problem that I can't get to the bottom of and need an electrician. At moment I have lights but no sockets or heating working as the RCD - 32A keeps tripping out. Unplugged every electrical item but still keeps blowing. Any electrician recommendations would be gratefully received. I live not surprisingly at Shooters Hill.

Comments

• Could be caused by moisture getting into either the sockets or somewhere else in the circuit.

If you can wait until tomorrow evening I could help out .

DM if so.
  • Razil is your man
  • edited October 2012
  • I'm looking for a sparks myself, sounds like a short to me.. has anything changed recently?

• edited October 2012
    Colin Walsh's Lovechild is a sparks I think
  • The RCD is tripping? then its doing its job surely, could be any one of the bank of circuits it protects causing it.
  • Glass half empty is your man
  • How many 32 A RCD do you have?, If more than one, swap them over, this will show you if its the rcd or the ringmain.
  • Have any of the wires come loose at the fuse board? Or are any wores touching eachother eg neutral touching earth
  • As well as unplugging everything have you also turned of any individual spurs? Things like the heating or extractor fans etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was gonna say about possible cable corrosion causing a short somewhere, drop a few socket fronts and check the connections. MAKE SURE YOU'VE KNOCKED THE POWER OFF FIRST! If in doubt get a sparks in, try Robbo-on-the-wing though I think he's crossed over now and is a white collar sparks! ; )
  • I'm working until late this week but if u get stuck message me . Have u got a cooker hood ? I had one last week where the raining was getting in through the vent ?
  • LenGlover said:

Well he says he is :-)
  • Cheers chaps. Keep it coming please. I will look at isolating my cooker hood and central heating and will look at individual sockets and see what happens.
  • Could even be earth leakage from you kitchen white goods
  • LenGlover said:

How long do I have to be a red cable puller before I am no longer a spark?

• Make sure you dont kill yourself trying to sort it. Try and get someone round. Even if you sort it, it may not be safe
  • cwalshslovechild, are you PW, brother of FW?
  • DA9 said:

cwalshslovechild, are you PW, brother of FW?

Not me guv

• Sponsored links:

• We had this fella in last year to fix a variety of faults (other people's mess-ups), and he was great! Very efficient, and very cheap!

http://www.trustatrader.com/traders/henderson-williams-electricians-wandsworth/
  • LenGlover said:

How long do I have to be a red cable puller before I am no longer a spark?

:-)
  • This happened to me a while back. How old is your wiring? Ours was forty-odd years old, the house should really have been redone when we moved in, but couldn't afford it. Turned out we had a short under the floorboards due to rats shewing through the shielding. Called a sparks out and he diagnosed and fixed it in an hour.

• Sent a pm. Or at least I think I have.
    I can have a look at the fuse board whilst scratching my bollocks for a one'er if that sounds ok with you?

I can have a look at the fuse board whilst scratching my bollocks for a one'er if that sounds ok with you?

How much if you scratch mine?

How big are they?

How big are they?
    Not very
  • No call so I guess you have sorted it. The money was a joke (in case it put you of calling).
    If you still stuck, think of when it tripped.
    Had it been raining heavily (outside socket/light)?
    Did you switch an appliance on prior to it tripping?

Sent a pm. Or at least I think I have.

How big are they?
    Not very
    You can do em yourself then.
  • Is SHG still alive??
  • the lights did flicker a bit in the Kidbrooke end of SHill Rd last night !!!!!