Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn Post-Match News & Views 2012

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
Finished 1-1

News, views etc below please!

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Even better than the result, a decent draw against a top 6 team, was the fact that we matched them in performance & could even have won it. Maybe we are starting to get to grips with this league at last?
  • Disappointed we didn't get the winner one because of the points and two as I needed a third goal in the game to win my bet.
  • Apart from 15mins after they scored we were atleast their equal and for the majority of the second half the better side.
  • Decent game and we should have won tbf as we had by far the better chances. All us after we equalised but second half a bit flat and disjointed.

Scary how much their wage bill must be so all in all gotta be pleased with a draw.
  • Deserved to win
  • When I saw the lineup I thought we would lose the game but have to say I thought we were excellent. Great performance and deserved 3 points. Play like that on Tuesday and we will beat Watford.

I know I will get shot down for this but found the chants about Murphy's wife very tasteless. We are not millwall!!
  • I think the lads are settling into this league, good result.
  • Battling point, could have nick it.
  • I thought that was a good performance we gradually took control of the game and by midway through the second half it felt like there was only one team likely to go on and win it and we were a little unlucky not to do so I think.
    Apparently their goal was offside and we did get the ball over the line in the second half? But whatever I thought a point before the game would be a good result and we could easily have taken all three.
    Lots of good performances we move the ball round sweetly on the floor these days :-)
  • I take it we also kept Rhodes pretty quiet then.....again?
  • Sponsored links:

• Impressive performance I thought...we look like a team that is ready to take off
  • Great game dominated 2nd half green mom superb display.played like it was l playoff final!
  • Top game really, a bit disappointing not to have grabbed 3 points - but 3 hours ago I would've grabbed a point!

Lawrie Wilson has actually shocked me. He looks a different player; I'm not saying he's amazing but he put in a very good performance today - got up front a fair bit, looked solid in defence and just seemed to be more settled. I also think he was pivotal to one or two of Greens chances.

Im over the moon at how Green is doing - he looks superb at the moment. Keeps demonstrating how good a shot he has on him, has enough pace to make and take chances too.

I think we're a bit weak with regards to set pieces though; and also felt sorry for BWP. No point having him running for balls where he has no support - that said, his first touch left a lot to be desired today! Although his shot at the very end was brilliant.

Kerkar looks very good, and i think our left was as strong as I've seen it recently. Also goes for the whole midfield though - we look good.

All in all, a little disappointed at the result as I think we were in control most of the game. If this is a taste of things to come then our season may not be so scary after all!
  • Fantastic performance. Gutted not getting the win, but would have taken a draw before the game 100%. Kerkar looks extremely promising!
  • I would have taken a point before the game, lineups notwithstanding. It's a fantastic result, and we played extremely well; perhaps the best I've seen us all season. Kerkar looks good; Green was in the mood; BWP worked tirelessly; Solly - immense, and that's at left back.

Here's hoping.
  • Well played should have one far better side and well played Lawrie Wilson.
  • Really disappointed that we didn't win that. Strong at the back, Cort was a colossus, creative in midfield an a nice balance to the team. My MOM was Paul Robinson. 3 superb saves in the second half.
  • Writing before reading others.
    Was worried going into the match, and at 0-1said I would be happy with a draw. As it turned out we were unlucky to only draw, and it was Robinson their keeper who won them the point. Still as I (stupidly) said I'd take a draw, the Gods of football heard me and delivered, but laughed at me because what with the saves, and Danny Green smacking the post we probably deserved a win.
    Without Fuller we were obliged to flood the midfield for a home match...and I know he will be criticised, but BWP had a thankless task up front on his own, and I thought he played very well, and if his overhead hadn't been tipped over he would have shoved any words of criticism of his game back down a lot of throats.
    Overall despite only one goal, I think BWP has performed well for us this season.
    None of our players were less than a seven today, and like at Ipswich the most impressive thing was our sense of team and togetherness...credit to CP and his staff for that. Hard to pick our best players, but Kerkar and Green were a constant pain for them, Morrow and especially Kings of Leon were excellent all game, Wilson had his best game so far, and his critics may have to re-think a little bit...and Solly is simply (Fuller excepted possibly) our best player. he is on the left, didn't shirk from using his left foot very well, defended brilliantly, and his decision making and thinking skills are exceptional. Jacko, Hollands and Stephens were collectively good, and essentially Hamer had very little to do.
    There were two divisions between us last season, but I think we have the ability to hold our own at this level which pleases me, if we stay up it will be good, but not a miracle, and staying up, and making steady progress in the context of this season is a decent outcome.
    There will be loads of ups and downs, and injury can still scupper us, but I am very content with todays match...which incidentally was very entertaining, lots of lovely football played, and a lot better than Div 1 dross.
  • Will be interesting to see if the shot that Robinson saved off the line actually went over as it certainly looked like it from our seats. Excellent performance and disappointed not to get all 3 points.
  • edited September 2012

I know I will get shot down for this but found the chants about Murphy's wife very tasteless. We are not millwall!!

Completely agree.

Great performance from the lads. We deserved 3 points today. From my seat (NU) I thought their goal looked offside but no-one seemed to appeal, so might be wrong.

Although I thought it was a decent performance from the ref, he frustrated by stopping play, rather than allowing any advantage. Best game I've seen from Stevens for a while, which may have been helped by playing in a 5 man midfield.
    Rizzo said:

Will be interesting to see if the shot that Robinson saved off the line actually went over as it certainly looked like it from our seats. Excellent performance and disappointed not to get all 3 points.

Thought that as well at the time.....................
  • Sponsored links:

• Really pleasing performance. Was a little worried when I saw we were up against many decent Premiership standard playerss.
    But, player for player we matched them. I wouldn't swap any of ours for any of theirs. I think it's too hard to pick a MoM, Maybe Cort, Solly or Kerkar.
  • Excellent performance, especially in the light of losing Fuller just before kick off. Kerker particularly impressive, as were Cort, Green and Stephens. We moved the ball really well and Blackburn could not have complained if we had won it. Certainly, no one without prior knowledge would have thought there were two divisions between these teams last season.

A very entertaining and high quality game - the sort we've been missing in League 1.

• I'm really pleased with that performance. When the Blackburn team was read out I thought, 'We're going to get a pasting here', but I would go so far as to say we dominated the game, which is incredible really. At times I thought Kerkar looked like a man who had won a competition to play in a professional football match, but he came into it and looked good. I don't know what's going on with Green. He must be a confidence player, because he looked dangerous and really up for it.
    Playing one up will be a struggle for BWP. He struggled to win anything knocked up to him.
    Chant of the day: 'Steve Kean's too good for you.'
  • Geeks strange that am l
  • Davey said:

Geeks strange that am l

This
  • Very encouraging performance. Deserved to win. Don't know whether the system (4-4-1-1) was forced by Fuller's absence or deployed by design, but it worked well. Green/Kerkar look much better in the wide positions than Pritchard/Jackson and the side looked nicely balanced today. On the basis of today's performance, and perhaps with Fuller in for BWP, we'll be OK - and that's not what I'd have said post Palace.

Only note of caution is that Blackburn let their fans down today. They've obviously got quality, but they showed no intensity or desire today. They won't go up playing like that and weaker teams will give us a more difficult game.
  • LuckyReds said:

Top game really, a bit disappointing not to have grabbed 3 points - but 3 hours ago I would've grabbed a point!

Lawrie Wilson has actually shocked me. He looks a different player; I'm not saying he's amazing but he put in a very good performance today - got up front a fair bit, looked solid in defence and just seemed to be more settled. I also think he was pivotal to one or two of Greens chances.

Im over the moon at how Green is doing - he looks superb at the moment. Keeps demonstrating how good a shot he has on him, has enough pace to make and take chances too.

I think we're a bit weak with regards to set pieces though; and also felt sorry for BWP. No point having him running for balls where he has no support - that said, his first touch left a lot to be desired today! Although his shot at the very end was brilliant.

Kerkar looks very good, and i think our left was as strong as I've seen it recently. Also goes for the whole midfield though - we look good.

All in all, a little disappointed at the result as I think we were in control most of the game. If this is a taste of things to come then our season may not be so scary after all!

Agree all of this. Green has pleasantly surprised me after last year and our midfield was top class. Everthing good came through Stevens and thought we deserved more. Other than their goal I did not think that they had a chance. 5 in midfield worked for this game. Just hope they have enough left in the tank for Tuesday.

Anyone know why Fuller not in the squad?
  • Worried about Jackson and penalties now. Thought we looked even better after he went off. Should have but some fresh legs on up front for the last 10 minutes.
  • Good result although Jackson's 100% record from the penalty spot is now over :(
  • Sounds as though it was a good scrapping performance .. how bad is JJ's injury ?