Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Charlton go up or down in your lifetime?

In the year I was born Charlton finished 9th in First Division (the top division). The top three were surprisingly Wolves, WBA and Huddersfield and Liverpool were relegated. I am not planning to keel over just yet but reaching that level in the season that I die looks unlikely.

So, what's your lifetime expectation - a plus or a minus?

Comments

• Options
    I think we will have at least 10 more promotions and 10 more relegations

The rest of the time we will languish in between div 2 and 3 no more promotions to prem 1

However by then I expect a prem 2 and 3
  • Options
    I still feel a money-bags takeover within the next 10-15 years. Not saying that's what I want, but due to Our location I think We could be seen as an atractive club to invest in.

I'd hope to see Us as Pren regulars before I kick the bucket though.
  • Options

yes

beat me to it ;-)
  • Options
    kind of mid table Championship when I started supporting them, so almost even money for now. Probably about the same when I pop my clogs, though I'll be put through the emotional mincer more than once in that period
  • Options
    Finished bottom of Division 2 the year I was born (1980), and finished 16th in Div 2 (and still playing at Selhurst) when I first started going to watch (1991).

I'll be pretty disappointed if we haven't averaged better than that by the time I turn my toes up.
  • Options
    A year after I was born we left The Valley, back there when I was 8 and in the prem by the time I was 14. I'm expecting us to be back there and down again before I hit 35.
  • Options
    The problem is that none of us can really be sure what our lifetime will be!
  • Options
    I've supported the Club for close on 50 years. When I started we were a struggling second tier club and we are the same today so the wheel has come full circle.

I see more of the same for the remainder of my life if the Club survives. Second tier with the occasional, hopefully short, spell in the third tier. The alternative is extinction in these more ruthless, harsh economic times although an AFC Charlton might rise from the ashes.

Too late for me though.
  • Options
    Expecting us to do both to varying degrees and will be more than happy with that.

Don't want us to do a Wimbledon or a Luton, but equally don't really want us to do a Man City. Somewhere in between, like we have been over the last 15 years, suits me fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most probably, with only being 22 today, I can imagine a lot more things well happen with the club
  • Options
    I'll be happy in the top 2 divisions, my first 4 years in the mid 90s was mid table with the dd promotion push until 98....just no more league 1 please!!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Well, of course, I wasn't too aware of the fact that Charlton were a Division 1 team when I was born. By the time I was old enough to walk from what I understand is now called Charlton Hills to The Valley, Charlton were a mid-table at best team in Div 2. My Dad always blamed Eddie Marsh for taking us down. I've got a feeling it will be full circle in my lifetime.
  • Options

Most probably, with only being 22 today, I can imagine a lot more things well happen with the club

happy birthday NP
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The way I see it is, Teams don't lose forever. One day our Beloved Charlton will be up there holding their own amongst the big guns once again.
  • Options

I thought that at 22 as well. End of Old Codger speaking.
  • Options
    i remember all the cobblers abour "selling our souls" when Zebele was in the picture. That phrase "poor but happy" ? Go ask the poor about it.
  • Options

nice way of slipping in the birthday there mate!!

• Options

Happy Birthday Nathan.
  • Options
    Expect us to be like a tarts knickers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've witnessed several full circles and still dreaming of seing us again in the Prem.
    That will have to happen bloody soon though.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

yes

beat me to it ;-)
    Not sure.

• Options
    Started supporting 50 years ago this year and spent the first 20+ years despairing that we would ever get back to the big time.
    So grateful to Lennie and Curbs for those years at the top table.
    Temper that with 3 spells in Div 3.
    Just hoping for one more shot at the big time before I go - got my doubts though
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I know we're talking about League positions etc. but may I mention the Cups? I was born in the year of our first post-war F.A Cup Final and wasn't old enough (obviously) to enjoy the next year's success. Before I sign for that great Charlton team in the sky I want us to have just one bloody good, successful Cup run (preferably in the F.A Cup). Is it too much to ask? League-wise I'm not too optomistic, but if things don't change I reckon they'll stay as they are!