Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marathon Training - Advice needed

Guys and Girls,

Training for my first Marathon (Atlanta 28th October) and I'm following the Hal Higdon training program......currently at week 14 of training so just completed 18 miles yesterday.

Problem is a pain on the side of my right knee that seems that seems to kick in around the 5 mile mark, it doesn't hurt enough to stop but as the mileage is going up the recovery period is getting worse. Hobbling badly today.

Is this purely down to wear and tear of the longer runs or do you think from your experiences that it could be something more?

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Comments

• Options
    Probably something to do with your running shoes. Get 'em checked out.
  • Options
    Go to He runs/ She runs and they will watch you run on the treadmill and give you some proper running shoes. Up to 18 miles on 14 weeks already is quite impressive, I only trained up to 19 when I did it two years ago. No need to over do it.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, yeah I'll get to a running store and get my running style checked out.

Massive respect for anyone that's ever ran a marathon.....the training isn't easy eh?!
  • Options
    Try sending a PM to Killer Kish. He runs 2 or 3 a year I think.
  • Options
    Sounds like ITB friction syndrome
    The earlier you deal with it, the better off you are.
  • Options

Sounds like ITB friction syndrome
    The earlier you deal with it, the better off you are.

Yep, does sound like IT band. It runs down side of leg between hip and outside of knee. When it gets tight you feel it usually on outside of knee. You need to get into physio get a decent sports massage etc. Use ice on it, anti-inflams. In meantime, you are going to get knackered at this point, so make sure you stretch regularly, maybe swim or exercise bike instead of a run. Listen to your legs! Good luck. I'm doing NY in November, its my first crack at 26.2 miles also!
  • Options
    As you probably already know Dan, I'm the lust one to be giving advice out on marathon running, except for maybe do it on a motor-bike.

Good luck though pal!
  • Options
    You are the lust one Rob!

A girl who I work with said it sounded like my IT band too, I'll get to work doing some stretches to hopefully alleviate the pain.

Although its hard work its definitely addictive too, I'm already thinking of signing up to do the Miami marathon at the end of Jan!

Good luck in NYC Bermuda!