Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Free loft insulation

2»

Comments

• Options
    I rung the above company today. Bloke Is coming round next week to check the house out. Cavity and loft top up for free
  • Options
    Landlord has got in touch today.

"Under no circumstances does he want loft or cavity insulation installed. And you most certainly are not allowed to hang curtains"

• Options

"Under no circumstances does he want loft or cavity insulation installed. And you most certainly are not allowed to hang curtains"

Is he making a profit from the electricity/gas meters ? .. the Council may have a bit to say about this .. but in the end .. is it worth upsetting the landlord ?
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Is he making a profit from the electricity/gas meters ? .. the Council may have a bit to say about this .. but in the end .. is it worth upsetting the landlord ?
    Perhaps the landlord is concerned about cowboys doing a "free" job which will cost to put right when they damage the roof, walls, ceilings etc.

A distinctly dodgy bloke door stepped my wife to sign for this a few weeks back. We eventually told them we had changed our minds as was our right re "cooling-off" regulations but they didn't like it!
  • Options
    cavity insulation can cause problems if not done correctly. can cause damp transfer.

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html

• Options
    I think you will find that he is just a tosser. He wont even let me get new carpets and curtains at MY expense
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Perhaps the landlord is concerned about cowboys doing a "free" job which will cost to put right when they damage the roof, walls etc.

A distinctly dodgy bloke door stepped my wife to sign for this a few weeks back. We eventually told them we had changed our minds as was our right re "cooling-off" regulations but they didn't like it!
    Very true Len, BUT insulation is so widespread now that there is a lot of information about firms doing the work. EDF/BGas/Eon etc etc all have schemes and I'm sure that they use only reputable companies. I was 'doorstepped'. A bloke knocked on my door etc etc ... I said I'd go for it, he handed me the paperwork and straight away I checked up on the firm that would be doing the job. They came and did a terrific job, left no mess etc etc .. I am WELL pleased so far, the house feels warmer, more 'cozy' and less 'echoey' .. all for free. I agree you have to be careful but a bit of savvy research would/should flush out the fakers
  • Options
    Off_it said:

A fella knocked at my door the other week trying to tell me I could get my loft insultated for free.

He looked a bit "iffy" and it felt like a scam so I told him to fuck off. Maybe I was a tad harsh?

I did exactly the same, barely let the bloke get his 'schpiell' out before I closed the door.

• Options
    My dad had it done a couple of weeks back along with cavity wall.

He had a load of stuff stored up in the loft so asked if I could pop round to move it all into a small corner for the men to work round. He had a double knee replacement recently and so was not upto it.

As agreed I went round started moving it about and whilst carrying a box slipped off a joist and straight through his bedroom ceiling covering there newly changed bed in thick black dust. Mum was fuming and never spoke to me for a week, had to have that repaird as well.
  • Options

I think you will find that he is just a tosser. He wont even let me get new carpets and curtains at MY expense

That is strange. Most landlords would jump at the offer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had loft insulation done today paid for by Greenwich Council. Done and dusted in an hour. Looks a neat job. Time will tell how much difference it makes.