Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swearing at a football match ?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Get it off your chest, it's very therapeutic!
  • Options
    Personally I dont have a personal problem with people swearing. I do too much myself. However when there are young kids and women around people should restrain. We want to attract them back and they may be put off. There are times like Friday when the referee forced me to swear but I feel guilty. As a gneral rule I think people should be able to go in the family stand or upper west and feel fairly swear free. OK for the covered end to have a different culture.
    People can then make a choice
  • Options
    I personally don't think it is necessary, but accept that some people do like to swear. However I don't think the 'c' word is acceptable at all, it is a vile and offensive word.
  • Options

I personally don't think it is necessary, but accept that some people do like to swear. However I don't think the 'c' word is acceptable at all, it is a vile and offensive word.

This, it should never be heard in public when there are women and children present
  • Options
    I hardly swear at all in everyday life, but at Charlton it's a lot harder. I try to set an example to my 13 year old daughter, but I think it's fair to say I failed in that respect on Friday.
    Luckily her mum swears like a trooper with tourettes, so no chance of getting in trouble for it.
  • Options
    its about respect in it bruv
    I vent off at games but if there are kids about i do try not to.
    I would think tho with the way CAFC have been for decades its enough to start you swearing--drinking---violence---self harming.

• Options
    Wilson's shot at the end of the Palace game was probably the most swear-inducing moment at The Valley in years.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    But what if we sign Angelico Fucks? There's gonna be a few down The Valley in a right old pickle!
  • Options
    Agree about the c--- word, don't like it at all in any situation. Generally not to bothered about fans swearing at matches. I often find that it isn't the swearing but who is doing it....ie, bloke up our local uses the f word in almost every sentence he puts together, don't think anything of it, doesn't offend me in the slightest, but if the young lady who works behind the bar used that language I'd be shocked....maybe I'm old fashioned but that's how I see it.
  • Options

This, it should never be heard in public when there are women and children present
    Here Here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My 6 y/o dropped me in it with his Mum for his rendition of "Weve got Chris Solly......
    ........"
  • Options
    richie8 said:

My 6 y/o dropped me in it with his Mum for his rendition of "Weve got Chris Solly......
    ........"

Lol!

I'm blamed for teaching my kids all the swear words. I do try to reign it in when I'm in public, but passions run high at football matches, so I can't say I've never sworn at one.
  • Options
    Not got a problem with swearing at matches (its football not a Tea Dance) if it comes from passion, ie a blatant bad reffing decision etc. I admit I probably let too many go myself at times, especially as mentioned above, Wilson's shot in the last second! But I think most supporters were pretty unanimous in venting then!
    I dont like people punctuating words with swear words, a, its pretty sad and b the word loses its fucking effect. ;o)
  • Options
    we are a funny lot myself included.
    ok every so often but not someone swearing all game.
    ok when certain people are around not if women and children around
    ok to use this word not that word
    its either right or wrong
  • Options
    football is a mans game,to many women now go ,i think swearing is part of it
  • Options
    i was actually at a game a couple years back sitting in north upper and a woman behind us complained to a steward and we had to move
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    doronron said:

football is a mans game,to many women now go ,i think swearing is part of it

Don't be so silly. I don't know a single woman who is offended by swearing. I am a woman and I swear all the time, yes even the c-word.
    The football is a place where it is almost expected. The same as say a pub. You wouldn't get your knickers in a twist if someone swore then, so why at a football match when emotions are running high and most people have had a drink? Madness.
    If someone were to ask me nicely to stop then I would. But as they don't I will swear if I feel it appropriate. E.g Wilson's shot. Why didn't he cross it?!
  • Options
    Oh do fuck off ! whats your name RedAmy ?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Do you swear around your Grandma then, or if you know the people you are talking to find it offensive? Would you swear at a funeral?

It's easy making statements that divide everything into right or wrong. The reality is that there are rules of etiquette whether you like it or not and you will, I guarantee it, abide by them sometimes even if you don't like it.

At football I would never presume to expect that people don't swear. The worst swearing I have encountered at the Valley was by a women who sat behind me in the East. I suspect that she had decided that she was a ladette and that's what lads do so she gave it the huge foghorn every single game.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to swear especially in the passion of the moment. It is right to be sensitive to those around you, whether at football or elsewhere and moderate your language accordingly.

• Options

clb74 said:

Do you swear around your Grandma then, or if you know the people you are talking to find it offensive? Would you swear at a funeral?

It's easy making statements that divide everything into right or wrong. The reality is that there are rules of etiquette whether you like it or not and you will, I guarantee it, abide by them sometimes even if you don't like it.

At football I would never presume to expect that people don't swear. The worst swearing I have encountered at the Valley was by a women who sat behind me in the East. I suspect that she had decided that she was a ladette and that's what lads do so she gave it the huge foghorn every single game.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to swear especially in the passion of the moment. It is right to be sensitive to those around you, whether at football or elsewhere and moderate your language accordingly.

Bing thats two birds with one stone
    i have my nans funeral friday.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally i rarely use the c- word( only when John Terry's name is mentioned). But can anyone tell me why it is deemed so much worse than other swear words. If it is because it refers to a ladies vagina why does fanny,pussy,twat & minge etc. cause less offence?
  • Options

Personally i rarely use the c- word( only when John Terry's name is mentioned). But can anyone tell me why it is deemed so much worse than other swear words. If it is because it refers to a ladies vagina why does fanny,pussy,twat & minge etc. cause less offence?

you can use the c word but i really do hate the p***y word

• Options
    edited September 2012

Language changes and words move in and out of being offensive.

If you google the word you will find that there was a road in London in the 14th Century called Gropec*nt Lane. The word was in common parlance then.

Many years ago I recall reading The Antiquary by Sir Walter Scott where the words "damn" and "damned" were shown as d ---

In HMS Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan one of the famous lines sung by the Captain is

"Bad language or abuse,
    I never, never use,
    Whatever the emergency;
    Though "bother it" I may
    Occasionally say,
    I never use a big, big D —"

Clearly the word damn is so common that it is not now even considered a swear word.

The c-word was until recently considered the most offensive word but I doubt it is these days for people under the age of fifty. If you want to hear it - watch the film "Forty Inch Chest" where it is used at least 200 times and chiefly by John Hurt.

In my opinion the N-word is probably the most offensive word now, especially when used by a white person towards a black person. The word was of course the name of Guy Gibson's dog in The Dam Busters. It is considered so offensive now that in the forthcoming remake, the dog will be called Digger.
  • Options
    family stands are/were desighned for this?
  • Options
    I hate people swearing in front of my children, so I would take them to the East or West stands where its more family friendly. I used to live next door to people who used to swear really loudly and do drugs, it used to really ruin some precious times when we were playing in the garden, when they were toddlers. Saddens me even now.
  • Options
    If you take a young un' into the North Stand then generally speaking I think you'll know to expect to hear some choice language, it's pretty much a given.

I have to say that I do tend to swear a bit at games but really try not to use the C bomb, especially if there are kids around. Must have been much easier for parents back in the days of terracing when you could move along twenty feet and find a new spot to stand in.

One thing that did make me chuckle was when we played Liverpool at home a few years back. Myself and my mate were season ticket holders in the West for a couple of years and as we were sat next to a woman and her two sons (estimated age around ten or twelve), we always tried not to get too wound up and sweary. This woman was lovely, always had a chat and was happy go lucky. All changed for her when Jamie Carragher got sent off though, she proper snapped..

"Carragher you w**ker, why don't you just f**k off you scouse somethingoranother!!), absolute hatred in her eyes and gave him dogs abuse down the tunnel. Not sure who was more shocked, us or her kids.
  • Options

Where does everyone stand on swearing at a football, i no a girl who thinks its shameful.

Tell me a football ground where Industrial Language is not used it used more on the telly than it has ever been, I recall sitting at the valley when the first female lino was used in a cup match against Wolves she gave 2 decisions both offside and she was correct .Then the crowd broke into a chorus of" who's the wanker in the black" ok not swearing but that is what happens.

The trouble with Football today is that people are trying to sanitise the great game no swearing, players who take their shirts in front of their own supporters booked,shake hand's at the beginning of a game, good hard tackling being being slowly phased out,

• Options
    CatAddick said:

Kap10 said:

There is a bloke about six seats from me who is fing and cing throughout the game, to me thats unacceptable

Was it the bloke standing near the steps in WU J/K calling the team a bunch of F'ing Cs on Friday night as they were coming off at full time?

I thought that was a bit excessive

Could be everyone was a C from players, to fans, to linesmen to ref, not sure cp was left out

• Options
    Kap10 said:

CatAddick said:

Kap10 said:

There is a bloke about six seats from me who is fing and cing throughout the game, to me thats unacceptable

Was it the bloke standing near the steps in WU J/K calling the team a bunch of F'ing Cs on Friday night as they were coming off at full time?

I thought that was a bit excessive

Could be everyone was a C from players, to fans, to linesmen to ref, not sure cp was left out

I think the kids found it amusing. Mainly because they were expecting a vein to go any moment....
  • Options
    clb74 said:

you can use the c word but i really do hate the p***y word

Don't mind p***y myself ;o)

(well, someone had to)