Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley - Safety Advisory Group

Comments

• Options

So where are the full minutes?

Why is Addickted keeping us in the dark

Clique member who doesn't think the rest of us deserve to know.

: - )

I bet it's just like those supporters club meetings that unless you were there, you are not allowed to know what was said as a lot was "keep it to yourself" chats!!
  • Options
    I raised three issues which were requested in this thread.

1) Standing at the rear of the North Stand.

The issue of overcrowding here may be one of perception rather than the actuality. Yes, the Club are aware that sometimes there is a problem and they do what they can as far as stewarding and making requests for people to move to their correct seats if they are not ticket holders there. It does happen from time to time and generally those asked to move will move. The whole area is closely CCTV monitored and the Control Box do review the position pre match and sometimes during the game. They will direct a steward to the area to resolve any issues - but conversely they do have other areas of crowd safety to look at.

I noticed one steward at the Palace game, constantly going up and down the aisles to monitor the situation. Apparantly he is the fittest steward they have!

2) Smoking in Toilets.

There was quite a long discussion about this. Of course the Club is aware that this happens, but again it's about putting resources in to prevent it. Individual stewards are not in the position to stop the problem and 'snatch squads' to deter smokers are quite rightly considered to be over the top. The Club can therefore not completely stop it despite no smoking being part of the ground regulations.

This allowed the discussion to open up into if we can't stop it, how about we control it. As those who go to away games will know, a lot of Clubs allow both home and away fans to smoke by exits or even outside grounds at half time. This works well and obviously significantly reduces the amount of people smoking with the confines of the toilets, when they know they can have a half time gasper or two. This idea was supported by the representative from the Football Grounds Safety Authority, when the Club suggested this only happens at the smaller Clubs and is never allowed in The Premiership or places like Wembley. She quoted a couple of examples where it is allowed - one being in London - and it works quite successfully. She also said there was a massive problem with smoking at Wembley.

The Club have agreed to look at providing 'smoking areas' and I will be working on possible options. To be fair, there would be problems with both the North and West Stands in seperating smokers to prevent upper/lower tiers swapping places - but I don't believe it's unsurmountable. There is also limited space available behind the North Stand to provide a cordoned off area - but I still believe it can be worked on.

I think the Club threw in two red herrings though - one the stewarding of it; crowd control and issues if fans are wandering around the ground knowing opposing fans could be outside the ground at half time. I do not believe this is an issue as only the North Stand patrons need to be accommodated outside the confines of the ground. Secondly the Police would need to allow this to happen. The Police representative didn't comment at the time but I don't believe this would be an issue with them as long as the Club steward and monitor it properly..

Some feedback from smoking patrons of both the North and West Stands for a 'smokers corner' outside the confines of those stands would be useful. I also believe if a suitable solution was found, then the fans themselves should 'police' smoking within the stands' toilets to prove that reasonable support in this issue from the Club brings the desired outcomes - particularly those who suffer from smokers using the toilets.

3) Post Match Traffic Control

Again the Club is aware that with so many people leaving the stadium at one time there can be issues with people walking in roads and impatient drivers. The Club does all it can to minimise the situation by not releasing cars from the West Stand Car Park until the pedestrian flow dies down a bit - very sensible. However, it was quite apparant that the issue is mainly from side road parkers and those who use off road failcities such as friends/relatives driveways. This is completely a Police issue, but once again the Police cannot resource this in all areas. If reported that dangerous or careless driving has been witnessed, then please do report it to the Police who will investigate.

I'm afraid that this just appears to be a 'Society problem' rather than one the Club can do anymore to help prevent happening.

• Options
    cafckev said:

I bet it's just like those supporters club meetings that unless you were there, you are not allowed to know what was said as a lot was "keep it to yourself" chats!!
    Whooooooooooooosh

• Options
    This may sound a bit light weight, but the warm up in front of E & F blocks (north lower) is bloody dangerous! The amount is people injured (especially kids) and seats broken by awful, but well struck, shots turns those blocks in to a shooting gallery.
  • Options

cafckev said:

Whooooooooooooosh

I think a double whooooooooooooooooosh with extra oooooo's
  • Options
    Cheers Nick,

Well done for taking this on.
  • Options
    A couple of other snippets.

Guide Dogs for blind/deaf fans - if you contact CASDA (details are on the website and programme), they will work with the Club to accommodate you.

Handrails to the stands. The steepest pitch is in the North Upper, but all rakes are well within the football grounds safety limits. I think it's quite resaonable for the Club not to install many hundreds of meters of handrails to each and every stairwell around the ground, which would be a significant investment.

Again if fans are having mobility issues when getting to their seat, then please do speak to the Box Office who will try to accommodate you to a seat that is more accessible.

Palace fans fireworks. The Police were aware that this was going to happen as it has happened at all their away games this season. They did their best to try to prevent it, but cannot body search every single Palace fans as they enter the ground. They also believe that these fireworks - which are not that big - are secreted quite professionally by female fans!

Our CCTV was working well as it clearly identified those involved. I believe the Club/Police took the right decision not to 'steam in' and deal with the situation there and then - particularly as they knew they could deal with the culprits at their leisure.
  • Options
    On point (3), my moan would be people parking/stopping in Harvey Gardens after the game, causing a massive bottleneck as exiting fans have to squeeze past them, the worst offenders being.... the Police themselves!
  • Options
    Simon E said:

This may sound a bit light weight, but the warm up in front of E & F blocks (north lower) is bloody dangerous! The amount is people injured (especially kids) and seats broken by awful, but well struck, shots turns those blocks in to a shooting gallery.

This was also brought up as it has been an issue with both Greenwich Council and the SJA.

The Stewards are briefed to speak to fans in that area - North Lower and Jimmy Seed Stand - to be wary of 'loose shots' during the warm ups. Depsite a few broken seats, actual incidents of balls hitting people is rare - though one away fan did suffer from a wayward shot from his own player this season.

If you are aware the Stewards in these areas aren't letting fans know pre match, then let me know and I'll raise the issue.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Simon E said:

This was also brought up as it has been an issue with both Greenwich Council and the SJA.

The Stewards are briefed to speak to fans in that area - North Lower and Jimmy Seed Stand - to be wary of 'loose shots' during the warm ups. Depsite a few broken seats, actual incidents of balls hitting people is rare - though one away fan did suffer from a wayward shot from his own player this season.

If you are aware the Stewards in these areas aren't letting fans know pre match, then let me know and I'll raise the issue.

Cheers for that.

I can say categorically that I have never heard any warning's issued, and I've been in E block for years. I would disagree with the statement about it being rare though. It's actually very common! It would be fairer to say that, the amount of people that report it to a steward is rare. Most, like myself that took a shot squarely in the crown jewels last season, just shrug it off and don't bother reporting it.

Also, one of the broken seat reports this year (in the Leicester game), was from me after a Lawrie Wilson shot after it skimmed my youngest daughters head.

As a happier anecdote. When my eldest got clumped in the head a while ago (when Parky was still in charged), Sir Kins actually came into the crowd, apologised on behalf of the team, and gave her one of the training footballs! A true gent! :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    They also believe that these fireworks - which are not that big - are secreted quite professionally by female fans!

Seriously...
  • Options
    Good work Addickted
  • Options

They also believe that these fireworks - which are not that big - are secreted quite professionally by female fans!

Seriously...

probably why the last one didn't work. It was wet.
    I don't believe it either.
  • Options
    Simon E said:

I may be wrong, but The North Lower has been far from full in the last few seasons.
    Surely, you could sit out of the firing line & then move to your allocated seats, when the warm up finishes ?
    I know I wouldn't sit there every game, if balls were being fired at me.Not having a dig. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    Nice one Addickted. Interesting and helpful.

Having said that, no reflection on discussing what people have asked you to discuss, but I can't believe though that there are people sitting around discussing people sitting behind the goals getting hit by footballs when they sit behind the goal....

I understand that during the warm up there are far more shots at goal than during the game, but seriously, do people lack that much common sense that they have to be warned that if they sit behind the goal there is a chance they may be hit by the ball?

• Options
    The slowness of the kiosk staff causes overcrowding.
  • Options

Simon E said:

I may be wrong, but The North Lower has been far from full in the last few seasons.
    Surely, you could sit out of the firing line & then move to your allocated seats, when the warm up finishes ?
    I know I wouldn't sit there every game, if balls were being fired at me.Not having a dig. Just a suggestion.
    The stewards do not tell anybody
    How about putting a temporary net up like they do at other grounds?
  • Options
    or put a big warning at the entrance or on people's tickets.

"you are entering a football stadium. there will be balls flying around all over the place. be aware"
  • Options
    What a pathetic topic to be discussing, Health & Safety at its finest.
  • Options
    What is the official position on the use of electronic cigarettes in the stadium, is there one.?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fatkit said:

What is the official position on the use of electronic cigarettes in the stadium, is there one.?

OK so long as you do not smoke it behind the goal when the players are warming up, you may get hit by a football and accidently swallow it.
  • Options

What a pathetic topic to be discussing, Health & Safety at its finest.

But it's there to protect you mike....... ;)
  • Options
    Dont even go there I drown in the red tape of it all at work.
  • Options
    its the bain of my life too!!
  • Options
    how about a disclaimer in font size 3 1/2 on everyone's season ticket?
    The club can not be held responsible for any spectator who is damaged by our employees lack of skill. Times are tough. We're not that good anymore.
  • Options

how about a disclaimer in font size 3 1/2 on everyone's season ticket?
    The club can not be held responsible for any spectator who is damaged by our employees lack of skill. Times are tough. We're not that good anymore.

:-)
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

its the bain of my life too!!

What line of work are you in?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    fatkit said:

Be on the safe side, smuggle it in "internally" - just warn those around you not to be alarmed if you start emitting (fake) smoke after letting one go!
    Maybe that's what they mean by 'smoking in the toilets'

Saying that, unless you're partial to some arse to mouth action I'd probably give that a miss!

• Options

On point (3), my moan would be people parking/stopping in Harvey Gardens after the game, causing a massive bottleneck as exiting fans have to squeeze past them, the worst offenders being.... the Police themselves!

This was very annoying on Friday night as it made pushing a wheelchair past the North Stand very difficult. Two police vans, AJD and GBZ where parked on either side of the road and not for operational reasons. A couple of seasons ago a car was being removed before the match from Harvey Gardens, probably costing the owner a large sum of money. After the match a police van was parked in exactly the same place. Either it's safe to park there or it isn't.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Simon E said:

The stewards do not tell anybody
    How about putting a temporary net up like they do at other grounds?
    Just an update after the Blackburn game.

Steward on the E/F block steps said nothing, as he was too busy texting every time I walked past him! Three people hit by stray shots, two in the head and the other in the chest spreading their lunch all over them. Although with the last one Kerkar came over an apologised personally.

As none needed first aid I'm guessing that none of these incidents were recorded.