Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley - Safety Advisory Group

Comments

• CAFCdamo said:

Where do you sit? it might just be the north upper where they monitor it that tight.
    Maybe they thought it was a can of lager , but we've drunk from cans loads of times before and after this incident and nothing has been done.

When i bring the boys usually the east stand.

• Addickted said:

cafckev said:

Why does the club consider it safe to use a private Ambulance service instead of the London Ambulance Service for crowd safety. A few years ago the minimum requirement was two paramedics and a technician when now its two who possibly have no more than first aid training?

I think you'll find that all football Clubs use the services of St John's ambulances. They have some very highly trained and competent staff - some of whom work for the LAS during 'the day'.

I also believe that there is always one LAS ambulance present at the ground - but I will confirm that.

I am not refferring to the St Johns who do a great job.
    As part of the safety certificate (or it used to be), depending on the crowd size the club needs a Ambulance in attendance incase of crowd incidents and for player injuries. Up until around 3 years ago, it was one Ambulance with 3 crew as per my pervious comment. I think that once we went down into L1, the LAS lost the contract, and it went to a private service who I believe are a far lower skill level.
    The LAS do provide an officer who is in the control room and does not have a hand on role at the ground.
  • edited September 2012
    i thought it was the premier league that dictated the minimum requirement regarding Ambulances in attendance and i am sure they stipulated the need for 2 paramedics

the ambulance was for the players and the referee and assistance not for the fans as that would fall under an action plan that the club should have in place should any sort of incident happen inside the stadium

we also i belive still have the club dr to aid with any issues to playing staff or match day officials

• Have not read all the thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned. But
    regarding smokers, instead of moaning about the smoke in the bogs on here, why not write to the club suggesting they give people somewhere to have a drag at half time that complies with the law? If there already is somewhere, ignore this post and kick the inconsiderate swines out.
  • It's not just half time. Last game I went to I had a pint too many before the game, so was in the bogs around 20 minutes into the match. There were people smoking in there then.

Are there really people so pathetically addicted that they roll into the ground around 2:50, and half hour later are so desperate for a fag they degenerate to the level of 13 yr old school boys? If so, I'd feel sad for them, except they'd spout some rubbish about having a right to smoke, blah, blah blah. I think people's right to actually use the toilets for their designed purpose trumps any need for the terminally addicted to get a nicotine rush. Queues are bad enough at half time without all the cubicles being occupied by people not taking a dump.
  • It's not just half time. Last game I went to I had a pint too many before the game, so was in the bogs around 20 minutes into the match. There were people smoking in there then.

Are there really people so pathetically addicted that they roll into the ground around 2:50, and half hour later are so desperate for a fag they degenerate to the level of 13 yr old school boys? If so, I'd feel sad for them, except they'd spout some rubbish about having a right to smoke, blah, blah blah. I think people's right to actually use the toilets for their designed purpose trumps any need for the terminally addicted to get a nicotine rush. Queues are bad enough at half time without all the cubicles being occupied by people not taking a dump.

This. If people don't have the self control to go a couple of hours without a fag then that's their problem. I don't see why they should be catered for by having designated smoking areas.
  • on the east stand concourse every toilet entrance door slams shut, one of these days a kid is going to get his/her hand caught in the doors, just a simple adjustment of the self closing mechanism should sort it. I have brought this up before (last season), and still it hasn't been sorted. From a safety point of view, these doors are dangerous.
  • Addickted said:

masicat said:

Have been concerned for a very long time about how steep the steps are in the East - I'm sure that applies to other stands as well. Older people really struggle and I have to ensure my old man goes down behind me with one hand on my shoulder. Saw an old boy last week really struggling to get down to the bottom. Not writing this just because you posetd, it is a genuine concern.

Not sure if it's feasible to change the rake of the stand.

However it might be worthwhile contacting the box office to see if you can move seats in a more convenient (i.e where there is not much of climb) position. Seats in the back row of the East can be reached from the back of the stand with easier access for instance.
    Thanks for that. Not sure this will help all the other older people who struggle every game to negotiate. I appreciate it may be difficult to solve until someone goes crashing down. Will try and video and post here for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Our stands are nothing in steepness when compared with some other venues, e.g. the Olympic stadium and basketball venue...
  • Plenty of clubs allow people out for a smoke at half time. Why can't we?

The needless queueing for a drink and gulping it down in one because the second half has started is a H&S issue in most parts of the ground. Charlton will never sort that out though.
  • masicat said:

Have been concerned for a very long time about how steep the steps are in the East - I'm sure that applies to other stands as well. Older people really struggle and I have to ensure my old man goes down behind me with one hand on my shoulder. Saw an old boy last week really struggling to get down to the bottom. Not writing this just because you posetd, it is a genuine concern.

very good point - I've seen a number of older people struggling with the steepness of the steps - a handrail in the middle of the steps would be useful
  • stonemuse said:

masicat said:

very good point - I've seen a number of older people struggling with the steepness of the steps - a handrail in the middle of the steps would be useful
    I fully agree with this and the same applies in the West stand. Anyone with mobility problems has difficulty as there is nothing that they can hold onto. So instead they try to hold onto the back of a seat when going up. When coming down, they go backwards in order to try and hold onto the seats. A handrail is an excellent idea.

• Cannot understand why there is no smoking bebhind the East Stand? I don't smoke, but have no objection to people smoking as it is open air anyway. Have more problem with those thropwing food on the floor, mind you, would welcome the odd bin...
  • edited September 2012
    As the remit of the group covers surrounding roads, can consideration be given to road closures at the final whistle? I (and my children) were nearly wiped out after the Leicester game by some prick reversing off a drive in Harvey Gardens, before proceeding at considerable speed along there and up Charlton Lane.
  • stonemuse said:

masicat said:

I fully agree with this and the same applies in the West stand. Anyone with mobility problems has difficulty as there is nothing that they can hold onto. So instead they try to hold onto the back of a seat when going up. When coming down, they go backwards in order to try and hold onto the seats. A handrail is an excellent idea.

Agree and it'd help speed up the crowds leaving at the end cos it'd stop one side from hogging the stairs...
  • What are the implications of the Leeds v West Yorkshire Police case for the club

http://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/nlj/content/leeds-utd-score-high-court

• Sponsored links:

• Cosmic stuff there, must stop licking those toads, man.

Correct link now Nick
  • I don't think anything is likely to change with the steps in the east stand. The stand was built to the relevant safety specification and will have been inspected to the nth degree by the authorities. It will meet design and safety standards and beyond that the SAG has no remit. I'm sure that to put in a handrail you'd have to take out seats to maintain the width. It's unlikely the club will spend money on taking out seats.

Having said all that, I use the stand and do recognise the issue.
  • After 19 years in the job the fire service sent me on a Health and Safety course, entitled "Working Safely". The main point of the whole 8 hours seemed to be it is dangerous to climb a ladder in high heels
  • edited September 2012

What are the implications of the Leeds v West Yorkshire Police case for the club

http://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/nlj/content/leeds-utd-score-high-court

I think we've had this disucssion before on a previous thread.

CAFC have a mutual agreement with the Met over policing at The Valley - it's worked very well over the past couple of seasons and has allowed us to utilise stewards instead of paying full Police costs.

I will raise the issue as there may be more serious implications with this seasons fixture list.
  • I don't think anything is likely to change with the steps in the east stand. The stand was built to the relevant safety specification and will have been inspected to the nth degree by the authorities. It will meet design and safety standards and beyond that the SAG has no remit. I'm sure that to put in a handrail you'd have to take out seats to maintain the width. It's unlikely the club will spend money on taking out seats.

Having said all that, I use the stand and do recognise the issue.

Yeh - but you use the seat backs to help you get down to your row :-)

I agree with what Airman's saying, the ground reaches the minimum safety standards and you cannot change the rake.

My advice to those fans with mobility issues is to speak to the box office to see if you can swap for a seat where the row is the same level or as close as possible to the exits or get a row at the back of the east where you can enter/exit from the rear of the stand.

• So apparently it's okay for away fans to bring flares into the ground and the police and stewards not to do anything about it?
  • Ross said:

So apparently it's okay for away fans divs to bring flares into the ground and the police and stewards not to do anything about it?

• Yet how mant Police and stewards went into the home end to take put two people?
  • I'm not bothered about away fans standing, but still am puzzled by Greenwich Council's restrictions a few years ago on the number of Man U fans allowed in the away end, due to persistant standing, when tonight the Palace fans all stood, and for the whole game...
  • So where are the full minutes?

Why is Addickted keeping us in the dark

Clique member who doesn't think the rest of us deserve to know.

: - )