Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

carroll joins west ham on loan

2»

Comments

• Carroll in London is going to end in tears.
  • Not sure it's really as much a fallacy as some of you make out. West Ham are widely recognised as a team that have generally played good football. The problem is that their fans won't ever let you forget it.

Recognised by who? They have had some great players who played the 'right' way just as every other club has had over the years (mostly) but for every Trevor Brooking or Alan Devonshire there's been a David Cross or a John Hartson. It's just that they have a disproportionate amount of journos as fans who like to propigate this view that they have always played like Barca. Say something often loud and often enough and it becomes true.

I've been watching football for nearly 40 years and they have direct teams, teams that like to knock it about and teams who do a bit of both in that time. Just like pretty much everyone else.

Well said and speaking as an Ilford boy, I couldn't agree more. Brooking was a class above, Devonshire had a bit of flair, who else was there Clyde Best, Mike Small?? Horrible little ground with a quagmire of a pitch that other teams found difficult to adapt to. Except Charlton of course who aside from one disasterous Boxing day, used to regularly come away with 3 points. Jim Melrose 9 seconds anyone?
    Whilst Upton Park wasn't an amazing ground over the years (improved now), certainly when we were sharing itI I was certainly happier being there, than Stadium de Nigel. I recall that they didn't try & fleece the financial sheet out of us, when we were playing there.

I remember listening to the radio & the reports of the incredible 9 second goal. Great win that day! :-)
  • Just watching Liverpool struggle to a 1-1 draw with the Jambos.

They need strikers as badly as any team I have ever seen, utterly toothless.
  • The only ones excited about this are the tabloids and clubs with bottle service!
  • Watched his debut for the Hammers yesterday and he was a class apart, an absolute beast...until he did hid hammy!

Was a classic example of my earlier point too in that the commentator fulfilled his contractual obligation to state that WH fans are "brought up on good football!"

Presumably it doesn't matter whether the fan in question is 15 or 55 then? Yeah right...