Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell on Reo-Coker suggestion

Comments

• Options
    dave85 said:

se9addick said:

dave85 said:

its all dependent on what he can offer a club. we need another cm with experience and he needs a club. he has more experience at playing at a higher level than all our midfield put together and imo would be an asset.

But surely experience alone isn't the only criteria ? If he's still sitting on his sofa on August 30th aren't you curious to why ?

If I had to guess he either wants a fortune or there's some underlying reason no other club has snapped him up as he'd seem like a great option for about 20 clubs with bigger budgets than us.

i'm only speaking in a future tense as if we had already signed him. i believe cp will make sure what is best for the club. i don't know what goes on behind the scenes.
    Oh I agree, if the reason no one else has signed him is sorted and if he's willing to play for about 10% of what he's used to earning then it'd be an amazing signing. I just really, really don't think it'll happen - especially since he turned down Fulham the other day.
  • Options

Plaaayer said:

A fella I know is still really good mates with NRC after they played together at Wimbledon.

I'll have to try and jump on the same train as him next week see if he knows anything.

That'll be a bit late, won't it ?

He's not got a contract so we could sign him after the window closes. Can't see it being done tomorrow, could be wrong.

The fella lives in the road behind mine but I'm not going knocking on his door lol.
  • Options
    well if he lives in the road cant you offer him a bed to doss in and then find out the SP
  • Options
    se9addick said:

dave85 said:

se9addick said:

dave85 said:

its all dependent on what he can offer a club. we need another cm with experience and he needs a club. he has more experience at playing at a higher level than all our midfield put together and imo would be an asset.

But surely experience alone isn't the only criteria ? If he's still sitting on his sofa on August 30th aren't you curious to why ?

If I had to guess he either wants a fortune or there's some underlying reason no other club has snapped him up as he'd seem like a great option for about 20 clubs with bigger budgets than us.

i'm only speaking in a future tense as if we had already signed him. i believe cp will make sure what is best for the club. i don't know what goes on behind the scenes.
    Oh I agree, if the reason no one else has signed him is sorted and if he's willing to play for about 10% of what he's used to earning then it'd be an amazing signing. I just really, really don't think it'll happen - especially since he turned down Fulham the other day.
    i don't think think we'll sign him either but it nice to hear cp talk about it considering it because 18 months ago we were watching pavel abbott. shows we're slowing moving in the right direction at least.
  • Options
    have a look at the out of contract/unemployed list of players you will be amazed some big names on there?? think this year all clubs are trimming their squads?
  • Options
    I'm missing something here but don't really get the NRC love in. Never really been that impressed with him as a player, he'll want big bucks and his attitude stinks. I don't think Curb's was his biggest fan either...
  • Options
    He's a Nigel, end of!
  • Options
    i'd be happy if we signed him - he was a big part of the west ham side that went up a few years back but has never really held down a regular prem place since he left them. maybe the opportunity to come back to London and nail down a first team spot in a potential promotion side might appeal? wasn't he captain at west ham as well?
  • Options
    No thanks, we don't want any more players who think they're "doing us a favour" by being here.

I submit to you the following names: Murphy, Jeffers, Hasselbaink, M. Bent, Thomas.
  • Options
    Just checked on the ever reliable Wiki. He left WHU to go to Villa at the end of the 'Tevez' season, pausing only to slag Curbs and the club off. Also fell out with O'Neill during his time there and couldn't wait to get away from Bolton after they were relegated.

Basically, seems decent enough player on his day (nowhere near as good as he thinks he is imo) but not someone you'd want in the trenches with you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought he got player of the year for Bolton last year.
  • Options
    Personally will be extremely surprised if we sign NRC , can't see it happening, he's just another person looking for a club.
  • Options
    No doubt SCP will give Nigel a call, ask what he's looking for in terms of dosh. Choke and put the idea to bed.
  • Options

No thanks, we don't want any more players who think they're "doing us a favour" by being here.

I submit to you the following names: Murphy, Jeffers, Hasselbaink, M. Bent, Thomas.

you may be right but i have the feeling that people, particularly a londoner like reo coker, wouldn't come here and not give it his all. CP is too well respected and he could probably repair whatever damage he has done to his reputation by doing the biz here - it's not all about money as i'm sure he's probably earnt enough now to be comfortable once he packs it in.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Thought he got player of the year for Bolton last year.

Best newcomer award according to this link.

dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2144424/Nigel-Reo-Coker-quits-relegated-Bolton.html

Can't see it happening anyway.
  • Options
    Sounds promising and would love this!
  • Options
    Maybe Reo-Coker and other big names are starting to realise that the game doesn't owe them a living, that harsh economic realities impact them as individuals as well as clubs and the fans, and are taking a more realistic view of their market value as a result. If so, and it's a big if, three cheers - and good luck to them in pursuing their careers. If he comes to the Valley, on a sensible wedge, I for one would think it a good move. If anyone can get someone like Reo-Coker focused on the team, on performing and on earning his way, it's Chris Powell - or he just wouldn't sign him in the first place.
  • Options
    decent player if motivated and his ego can be kept in check. Would be used to much higher wages than we could offer. If he wants to stay in London and is a mate of Powelly then we have a chane I guess but I am sure he could get a much better financial package elsewhere so would seem unlikley....press conference did have a definate whiff of "Fuller" about it though!
  • Options
    Remind me never to play poker with Powell.......................................
  • Options
    Like Fuller if Powell sees NRC as fit, affordable, motivated etc I'll trust him. Not got many wrong so far.

Even if Stephens stays we could do with a CM (unlike DNG, less obvious as to where he would fit in).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I personally think if we were to sign NRC, stephens will have to go. To our advantage Powell holds the cards with Stephens. If lambert wants him, he better get a move on and offer what we are after. If Stephens does go tomorrow we don't have to rush to get old nige in considering we can get him outside the window.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Like Fuller if Powell sees NRC as fit, affordable, motivated etc I'll trust him. Not got many wrong so far.

Even if Stephens stays we could do with a CM (unlike DNG, less obvious as to where he would fit in).

I think you need 5 strikers though, so if DNG replaced Clarke tomorrow or next week on loan then I would be happy. Is better than Clarke I would think, seems to want to play for us and can also play down the wing. Would be reasonably happy if DNG is a Charlton player by this time tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    DNG! NRC! WTF?
  • Options
    CBW to return?
  • Options
    Na, JFH I heard
  • Options
    KMT
  • Options
    Swag
  • Options
    Am surprised he's still only 28! Would be great if we could get him playing at his best again - remember him having a couple of fantastic seasons at West Ham when he was a youngster. Maybe being part of a promotion-chasing team could be the fresh challenge needed?
  • Options
    can only seeing him coming in if dale leaves. would be a good signing and add some experience in the cm role