Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CP on Stephens, Solly, transfer window and exaggerated reported fee for Spurs keeper

Comments

• And because the Stephens thing made sky sports but i don't think Solly has been mentioned on there. Not saying Sky is the oracle but other than gossip from the moose and twitter and all that, where has it been stated as a fact that West Ham are even interested? I could of course be completely wrong but i just have a feeling that Stephens is the first teamer we may be looking to replace.
  • And because the Stephens thing made sky sports but i don't think Solly has been mentioned on there. Not saying Sky is the oracle but other than gossip from the moose and twitter and all that, where has it been stated as a fact that West Ham are even interested? I could of course be completely wrong but i just have a feeling that Stephens is the first teamer we may be looking to replace.

to be fair it has been on sky sports that west ham and bolton were after solly.

• No-one's going anywhere..
  • Out of the 2 players I still think the bid was for dalevinio
  • Sky Sports has reported interest for both Solly and Stephens but only with Stephens was an actual bid reported on.
  • still cant see why people think the offer is for stephens and not solly?!!!

Out of the two,who would you say is happier at cafc?

couldnt say mate, i dont know either of them!
  • Skysports also had the "Bexley Dan isn't really called Dan" story.
  • still cant see why people think the offer is for stephens and not solly?!!!

I think its because its been reported that Villa have had a bid rejected and might come back in Jan/Next summer.
    But the same thing was insinuated about Wet Spam putting in a bid for Solly
    yer true but not as much as Stephens. Not saying they were definitely accurate, but more figures were being mentioned with Stephens. In terms of rumours, the rumours around Stephens is that we rejected a bid. The rumours around Solly (apart from Twitter shite) is that West Ham want Solly. Powell just said there is one offer on the table, not that both players are wanted. If the rumours are to be believed, then it would seem the bid is for Stephens.
  • let's all boycott this thread as it's sending most of us round the bend
  • Skysports also had the "Bexley Dan isn't really called Dan" story.

He's not?

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2012

Skysports also had the "Bexley Dan isn't really called Dan" story.

He's not?

Apparently he could also be called Bexley Tom, Dick or Harry.

And if Villa can't sign Stephens, then they'll be after Dan the Man, who could come from Bexley.
    Or not.

The plot thickens.

• edited August 2012
    I have just finished listening to the interview on CAFC Player, at the end they asked CP about Reo-Coker and he said something along the lines of, "I used to play with Nigel years ago and I have seen he is a free agent, a Premier League player who is without a club. We've already brought in Fuller on a free who was in the Premier League last season. But nothing is imminent with Nigel, but I'll look into it."

Now I know CP may just be winding the journo's up, but if he is serious about looking into it, I personally think that would be a great Championship signing, as long as we can afford his wages, which he'd need a huge wage drop that is..
  • They also asked him plenty of questions about the potential sale of players, mainly being Solly and Stephens and bringing in players, mainly focusing on N'Guessan.

First things first, one thing is that we have had a bid from one club for one of our players, either Solly or Stephens. It sounded to me that he is preparing like normal but knows there is a high chance whoever the player is, will leave because CP mentioned about everybody wanting to play at the highest level. Nothing is moving at present but he knows it could all change at any given time.

N'Guessan deal has come to a stalemate but he admits that if the deal can be done, he would like to bring him in as he also wants to send Smith out on loan later this season. It could be permanent however he did say the loan window is open afterwards.

All in all, I think that CP has a feeling we will be losing the player who has been approached on, and wants to bring in at least one player. I hope we don't lose anyone, and if CP feels DNG can improve the squad, I see no problem.
  • I think he's a good player. He thinks he's a great player. Sadly, his ego is writing cheques his body can't cash and I personally wouldn't imagine he'd lower himself to the sort of wages we'd offer.
  • He needs to realised no club will be prepared to pay anything like he wants and he won't be regular for a Premier League side anymore. If we was to lower himself down to us, I would welcome him here. The holding midfielder we are crying out for, allowing Pritch/Hollands and potentially Stephens if he is still here to push forward.
  • Would people be happy if Clarke went on a free tomorrow and Stephens to Villa for £1.5 mil rising to £2. We sign Reo-Coker as a replacement for Stephens and DNG replaces Clarke. Solly stays. Think it would be a good move personally.
  • He would be ideal. Even if we took him on a short term deal for 6 months as he is without a club and not being paid.
  • Would people be happy if Clarke went on a free tomorrow and Stephens to Villa for £1.5 mil rising to £2. We sign Reo-Coker as a replacement for Stephens and DNG replaces Clarke. Solly stays. Think it would be a good move personally.

I really rate Stephens but would have to admit that would be good business.

• DNG replacing Clarke is a good move all day long.
    Reo-Coker replaces Stephens is the only tricky part. For me, it all depends on how much we'd get for Stephens if it happened.
  • yer but 1.5 rising to 2 would be good business I think. Reo-Coker's wages would be very high but even if we use half of that Stephens money to cover the increased wage cost it would be decent.
  • Sponsored links:

• in an interview on sky about a week back i remember reocoker saying he feels he can still be a premier league player but i think he'd be willing to take a cut in wages as its better than what hes getting now.
  • Blimey Reo Coker is only 28. Of course he can still be a premier league player.
  • edited August 2012

Blimey Reo Coker is only 28. Of course he can still be a premier league player.

Only 28?

Might need to have a word with himself, as to why he's not anymore?

• Would prefer Quinn to Reo-Coker
  • Valley11 said:

Would prefer Quinn to Reo-Coker

Definitely. Quinn is far more creative and we will desperately need some creativity if Stephens goes.

Only downside is Quinn will cost money.

• Quinn would cost money but NRC would probably cost more in wages. NRC is only out of contract because he exercised a relegation release clause in his contract and hes a lot more marketable than the majority on the free list so he won't come for peanuts.
  • I said I would be astonished if Fuller signed and he did. Can I just say I would be astonished if Reo Coker signed.
  • if we sign reo coker then i think you could class him and fuller as a couple of showcase signings. If Stephens is sold and Solly stays then i'd say we're still very much on the up. At the end of last season if i was told we were going to offload hayes and hopefully clarke, get sullivan out on loan and bring in reo coker, fuller, a rated keeper, a rated pacey striker, a box of tricks (kerker) and a right back cover and only 'lose' Stephens, then i'd have bitten your hand off. If that's how it pans out i will be happy and see us in for a good season.
  • BD you talk a lot of sense.
  • if we sign reo coker then i think you could class him and fuller as a couple of showcase signings. If Stephens is sold and Solly stays then i'd say we're still very much on the up. At the end of last season if i was told we were going to offload hayes and hopefully clarke, get sullivan out on loan and bring in reo coker, fuller, a rated keeper, a rated pacey striker, a box of tricks (kerker) and a right back cover and only 'lose' Stephens, then i'd have bitten your hand off. If that's how it pans out i will be happy and see us in for a good season.

Agreed, does not need to have cost a transfer fee to be a great deal.