Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paralympics

Comments

• I've got one spare ticket for the athletics on Friday morning (10am-1pm) if anyone is interested. £10 ticket. Comes with the free travelcard. Bad news is that you have to sit next to three mental women!
  • shirty5 said:

The last leg with Adam Hills. Only saw a few minutes of this show this evening. Looked good.

Been watching it most nights, very funny.

• Wilma said:

I've got one spare ticket for the athletics on Friday morning (10am-1pm) if anyone is interested. £10 ticket. Comes with the free travelcard. Bad news is that you have to sit next to three mental women!

Is there any other kind?
  • Lucky enough to go again last night.

Anyone else see the one legged high jump? I defy anyone not to be impressed by those fellas
  • I was astonished at the height those one legged jumpers were achieving, they are truly amazing.
  • Saw the morning dressage session. Another medal for Team GB (silver).

A nice touch vs. the main Olympics was that we got a brief intro to each rider & what their disability was/how it happened.

The disappointing bit was the place was only about 60% full despite it supposedly being sold out according to the ticket website. I think Locog have done a fantastic job overall, but the ticketing is the only thing they've got wrong....
  • The problem with paralympic tickets is that they are a bit cheaper so some people where money is not an issue would have purchased tickets in case they wanted to go. This is definitely a consequence of the ticketing system.
  • and the fact that you have less stringent 'session' rulings so you can go to an event all day rather than a 2 hour session and nothing else. Tomorrow we have tickets from 6 until 10, but during the day we can go to 3 other events just turn up and queue and get in. must lead to spaces in some venues at all times.

I'm happy I can see more, especially after the farce of the olympic ticketing, and I still think even with some empty seats it's the biggest crowd these guys have been in front of, so still awesome for them.
  • The dressage events are 1 session per ticket (3 sessions today!) and there's nothing else to watch instead. The website said there were no tickets left, but it was only 60% full.

Muttley - I get your point about the pricing (it's the only reason we'd entertain taking the little'un), but I can't believe that 40% didn't turn up.

I think they might have been trying to do it the way Charlton sometimes do for a cup match and leave one of the stands closed, but they then let people use them all anyway.
  • No because they prosthetic

and the fact that you have less stringent 'session' rulings so you can go to an event all day rather than a 2 hour session and nothing else. Tomorrow we have tickets from 6 until 10, but during the day we can go to 3 other events just turn up and queue and get in. must lead to spaces in some venues at all times.

I'm happy I can see more, especially after the farce of the olympic ticketing, and I still think even with some empty seats it's the biggest crowd these guys have been in front of, so still awesome for them.

It's good that you have got to see something but don't agree that the Olympic ticketing was a farce. What were they supposed to do. They put returns on sale. Can you really criticise them for not expecting two million people trying to get a pair of tickets or whatever the stat was! I wonder whether Athens or Beijing put returns on sale. Unlikely. Sounds like sour grapes to me as I'm not sure else LOCOG could have done.

• Sponsored links:

• Check this out for a shot, I think the lad was fairly committed to this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=riR_SyhvB6s
  • Off_it said:

bloodnut said:

years of war, land mines and the taliban spring to mind offy if you catch my drift?

Yeah, of course. but how come such an undeveloped country with barely a pot to piss in can afford to train athletes and send them over to compete, I spose was more my question.

oh sorry!

well in answer to your enhanced question offy, drug money, ha!
  • bloodnut said:

george osborne got a good reception while presenting medals today... 80,000 giving him a good boooing, classic!

UP THE CROWD!!!

Hmm...Osborne may be part of one of the most inept governments we've ever seen IMHO but not sure it's an appropriate thing to do at a medal ceremony. Could be the Atos thing coming through.

Brown on the other hand was cheered in the aquatic ctr. Bit of a turn up eh!
    the bloke makes massive cuts to disability benefits then turns up at the games infront of a crowd that will be made up of a lot of people affected by those cuts and is surprised that he is boooed... like i said, UP THE CROWD!!!
  • Brunello said:

Lucky enough to go again last night.

Anyone else see the one legged high jump? I defy anyone not to be impressed by those fellas

i did, just when i think ive seen it all, that come up, fair play!
  • There was a female table tennis player on last night although she has one hand she is rated in the top 50 in the World able bodied.

As for booing to right they should---rounded by throwing Brown in the pool.
  • My experience of being there on Sunday was nothing short of awesome and watching the joy of people competing, let alone winning medals is humbling yet fantastic. Best event ever staged in this country in my humble and if it means that it wakes one person in the nation up to what the Paralympics are all about then it is a success.
  • red_murph said:

Check this out for a shot, I think the lad was fairly committed to this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=riR_SyhvB6s

You know you've done well when the umpires(?) applaud you! Fabulous stuff.

• I'm here tonight. Front row seats. Teresa may just got a big old boo from the crowd
  • weir is an animal, another great race, another gold!
  • My experience of being there on Sunday was nothing short of awesome and watching the joy of people competing, let alone winning medals is humbling yet fantastic. Best event ever staged in this country in my humble and if it means that it wakes one person in the nation up to what the Paralympics are all about then it is a success.

Agree with all of that. Went to Athletics last Friday and it was amazing. Have watched loads of it on tv with the kids. I think it's great that my kids look up to Ellie Simmonds and David Weir as much as Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah.

• Sponsored links:

• That atmosphere when weir came round the final bend was crazy. And when he crossed the line. Been very impressed with everything tonight.

The volunteers are brilliant too. Especially the ones as you leave the stadium, they have so much energy.
  • I loved the antics of the visually impaired Brazilians when they got their medals this evening. Their joy at winning medals was wonderful, If they are all like that we're in for good Olympics/Paralympics in Rio 2016!
  • Going to be honest, i was struggling with the blind Chinese long jumper just then
  • That atmosphere when weir came round the final bend was crazy. And when he crossed the line. Been very impressed with everything tonight.

The volunteers are brilliant too. Especially the ones as you leave the stadium, they have so much energy.

absolutely - high fives all the way out back to the station! if only they had happy stewards at footballing events! They all deserve medals too for their happy faces, enthusiasm and commitment!
  • JT said:

Going to be honest, i was struggling with the blind Chinese long jumper just then

the one that told the crowd to shhussh and then ripped of his trousers? legend.
  • Yeah! Incredible. I'm going to the stadium on Friday night, looking forward to it.
  • No because they prosthetic

and the fact that you have less stringent 'session' rulings so you can go to an event all day rather than a 2 hour session and nothing else. Tomorrow we have tickets from 6 until 10, but during the day we can go to 3 other events just turn up and queue and get in. must lead to spaces in some venues at all times.

It's good that you have got to see something but don't agree that the Olympic ticketing was a farce. What were they supposed to do. They put returns on sale. Can you really criticise them for not expecting two million people trying to get a pair of tickets or whatever the stat was! I wonder whether Athens or Beijing put returns on sale. Unlikely. Sounds like sour grapes to me as I'm not sure else LOCOG could have done.

perhaps a farce was too strong a word, i still think it could have been done differently. there were empty seats at events that were 'sold out'. it was extremely difficult to get tickets, the website wouldn't allow you to add sessions to your basket in different price brackets but put you in a 35 minute queue for 55 minutes and then told you it was sold out, so when you went back to the tickets there were none left. you were logged off automatically from your account if you hadn't added tickets to your basket for over 10 minutes, and the captcha technology was almost in a foreign language. Frustrating enough when you're trying to attempt to buy tickets as quickly as possible. Tickets came up for events that people had applied for 18 months ago in the ballot, could they not have been given priority in the resale? Could it have been organised more fairly so that more people got to 1 event rather than 1 person getting to 8 events? Just questions that should be asked although there wont necessarily be a 'debrief' or 'lessons learnt' session as its not like we'll do it again - perhaps just for the benefit of the organisers of Rio.
  • im right up for the wheelchair rugby tomorrow, looks like dodgems!
  • can't wait for goal ball tomorrow and hopefully wheelchair tennis and rugby!
  • Got a day pass for the excel today, looking forward to seeing plenty of different sports