Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paralympics

Comments

• Options
    C4 are trying, BBC Radio 5Live are trying, the newspapers are really trying but come on, be honest, it just ain't happening is it?
  • Options
    I haven't watched anything else on tv since it started. got up, came downstairs - just watched Ellie Simmonds and the Cyclist get gold and a 'did not finish' and now about to watch a few heats for the events we are watching tonight (guided 200m) got to get ready as we're going to the olympic park and stadium at lunchtime! going to see Oscar Pistorious!

that classification issue for that american girl in the final with Ellie Simmonds tonight is a fascinating story. I think Jonathan Edwards, Clare Balding, the Irish girl (Dariane?) and Ade are brilliant as is the co presenter Giles(?).

I think its fabulous as they're doing a great job with what they're being given (less coverage being provided compared to the olympics to the bbc who also had their own cameras) which is why things arent being shown live, but thats not important as its doing the best with what they can.
  • Options
    World Record and a gold for Richard Whitehead - who actually got a bad start - but that was awesome!!!!
  • Options
    RobbieT said:

C4 are trying, BBC Radio 5Live are trying, the newspapers are really trying but come on, be honest, it just ain't happening is it?

I don't know why you think that, I think it's fantastic. The obstacles most of these athletes have to overcome to do what they do is very impressive. I'm sure that if the coverage the Olympics received were repeated for the Paralympics, you would think differently. I think people who don't think the Paralympics are as good as the Olympics need to change their mindset.

I am very disappointed that the coverage is not total, like it was for the Olympics. The athletes in the sports not being shown deserve as much coverage as the able bodied.
  • Options
    Brilliant Ellie Simmonds, how can anyone not be moved by that performance?
  • Options

Brilliant Ellie Simmonds, how can anyone not be moved by that performance?

had me welling up, I dont mind admitting that

• Options
    that was a fantastic race and to win it with a world record was perfect... well done ellie girl!
  • Options
    That was brilliant. I thought the commentator was going to cry as she got to the end.
  • Options

World Record and a gold for Richard Whitehead - who actually got a bad start - but that was awesome!!!!

A phenomenal performance! 24.39 seconds for 200 metres with a double amputation above the knee!

I'd wager that most able bodied posters on here cannot (or could not for the old gits) run that fast.

He's done 2hrs 42 minutes for a marathon too!

A truly amazing athlete.

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited September 2012
    Been at the Park today, it's been absolutely bloody phenomenal! Truly inspiring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:

Been at the Park today, it's been absolutely bloody phenomenal! Truly inspiring.

Agreed
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

A phenomenal performance! 24.39 seconds for 200 metres with a double amputation above the knee!

I'd wager that most able bodied posters on here cannot (or could not for the old gits) run that fast.

He's done 2hrs 42 minutes for a marathon too!

A truly amazing athlete.

Astonishing! On a good day with a trailing wind I'd give him a run for his money over the 200 but as a marathon vet I've never even come close to breaking 3:30 hours let alone 2:42. To switch from endurance to sprinting like he has is remarkable. Oh, and he has played hockey for GB in the winter Olympics too!

• Options
    i think im a little smitten by that irish presenter on in the mornings...
  • Options
    had the most amazing evening yesterday at the Olympic Stadium. So much to look at - i've taken so many photos and can't even pick out the best moment as there were so many! was great that the Irish got 2 golds! fastest 100m and 800m and so many new world records! can't wait to watch on telly tonight the finals of some of the heats we saw too.

shame that so many people left before the end as there were 3 victory ceremonies to a more or less empty stadium which the athletes deserved so much more, but those left gave them a good cheer!
  • Options
    Watch "The Best of Men" on BBC2 at ten tonight. Brilliant and moving drama about the origins of the Paralympics.
  • Options

had the most amazing evening yesterday at the Olympic Stadium. So much to look at - i've taken so many photos and can't even pick out the best moment as there were so many! was great that the Irish got 2 golds! fastest 100m and 800m and so many new world records! can't wait to watch on telly tonight the finals of some of the heats we saw too.

shame that so many people left before the end as there were 3 victory ceremonies to a more or less empty stadium which the athletes deserved so much more, but those left gave them a good cheer!

you picked a top day to go thats for sure suzi, glad you got there in the end. i too was snap happy, couldnt help myself, i took about 200 pics in the end (not all of me, ha) so happy i made it and something to look back on in the future with good memories!
  • Options
    Just found out that the wife has relatives taking part in the Paralympics, Roy & Lora Turnham, Roy in the 5-a-side football and Lora in the cycling road race, so if anyones going to these events, please give them an extra shout for me!
  • Options
    Saw in Ingram brothers fight in Judo yesterday and off to the Stadium tonight for the Athletics.
  • Options
    GB v Argies on now, come on GB!
  • Options

Watch "The Best of Men" on BBC2 at ten tonight. Brilliant and moving drama about the origins of the Paralympics.

Seconded. From memory, the sport side of things gets introduced reasonably late on in it, but the battles between the maverick doctor and the hospital are fun to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thirded. Brilliant programme.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    MrOneLung said:

Just doesnt do anything for me.
    I know it's bad but really not bothered by this.
    Watched the opening ceremony though and thought that was good, but the sporting side is a bit 'meh' for me. (yes I know there are amazing stories)

Will try to watch some highlights tonight at home to see if it gets me.

Have to say that I was a bit like this, until I got watching some of the coverage on the TV over the last couple of days and am now a convert.

The effort and the pride of competitors in their performances is inspiring.
  • Options
    I have been as addicted as I was to the olympics! I am blown away by the professionalism and level of ability of the athletes. I so wish I had got tickets and was not back at work! The paralympic community are so close and yet so competitive. As one journalist wrote, 'bravery' needs a new dictionary definition.
  • Options
    What do we reckon then, is Oscar a bad loser or is the bloke running on stilts? They did look a little bit out of proportion to me but they are legal it seems.
  • Options
    sore loser, if they are legal his complaints are clearly rubbish
  • Options
    Hasn't this fella been arguing for years that his blades don't give him an advantage? And now he's saying that the other fellas do?

Which is it?
  • Options
    I'm Just not feeling the Paralyimpics as i did the Olympics. Not sure why.
  • Options
    david weir is the man... what a race that was, GOLD!
  • Options
    David Weir - amazing.
  • Options
    Mike said:

sore loser, if they are legal his complaints are clearly rubbish

agreed, the IPS said they checked them out!