Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oh City Ground or Valley Floyd Rd ?

2»

Comments

• Options

Sung in our covered end when we were unable to shift 20 of their top boys, the year they got promoted to League 1 (1976 ish). Won the League 1 title the following season - that will never be done by another club again. We won 2-1 - one of the great Friday night games of that period.

Brian Clough and Peter Taylor insisted on sitting on what looked like kitchen chairs with their arms folded, just in front of the dug out for that game. Presumably they thought our dug-outs were too low, or too manky for them. Those were days before 'technical areas'.
    Hugh McCauley (sp?) scored direct from a corner in that game I believe, or we scored a screamer...I do remember we scored at least one good goal...and it was a great match.
    I believe it was towards the end of a season, and we were praised by Clough a lot, which he probably thought would be a good idea because we were due to play their promotion rivals soon afterwards.

• Options
    Hastings - did Norwich have a go in the '70's? Remember them having a massive crew when they beat us 2-0 once. I think David Cross and Jim Bone scored. With my Dad on East terrace though but recall a massive roar when Bone ran from the half way line for the second goal.

Don't recall the Brum one though and definitely my era.
  • Options

Hastings - did Norwich have a go in the '70's? Remember them having a massive crew when they beat us 2-0 once. I think David Cross and Jim Bone scored. With my Dad on East terrace though but recall a massive roar when Bone ran from the half way line for the second goal.

Don't recall the Brum one though and definitely my era.

Not to sure about the Norwich one but defo the Brum one...we won that 1-0.
  • Options
    Norwich did have a big firm, the away games were er interesting.
    The match discussed above against Forest had the Covered end heaving, the 20 or so forest stood thier ground but were surrounded by OB. At half time in the bar one of them produced an axe from up his sleeve which dampened everyones enthusiasm. They went to the Rose of Denmark afterwards but were still taking on allcomers.
  • Options

Sung in our covered end when we were unable to shift 20 of their top boys, the year they got promoted to League 1 (1976 ish). Won the League 1 title the following season - that will never be done by another club again. We won 2-1 - one of the great Friday night games of that period.

Vaguely remember that night, Forest did come into the Covered End, but I thought they were 'ushered' out.....more like 78-79 though?

Another mob that took the Covered End!
    Forest deffo 1976. I foolishly and unintentially rode through them after the match on my motorbike in Floyd Road. Just about managed to keep going.

Brum happened for sure. Dunno what happened after that as I was being attacked by one of them 'cos I was near the entrance. I ended up in the cage with him for being attacked and defending myself! He will long remember the encounter though.
  • Options

Vaguely remember that night, Forest did come into the Covered End, but I thought they were 'ushered' out.....more like 78-79 though?

Another mob that took the Covered End!
    Forest deffo 1976. I foolishly and unintentially rode through them after the match on my motorbike in Floyd Road. Just about managed to keep going.

Brum happened for sure. Dunno what happened after that as I was being attacked by one of them 'cos I was near the entrance. I ended up in the cage with him for being attacked and defending myself! He will long remember the encounter though.
    When Brum came in we were quite near the front...just felt a bit of a surge, and then the crowd (Charlton) kind of swayed upwards towards the Brum that came in, forcing them back out through the exit.
  • Options
    And Cardiff were'nt shy, i remember them walking through the Covered end led by some skinhead girls.
  • Options
    Year?
  • Options
    Late 70's?
  • Options
    This all sounds like another world to me !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Certainly was a different era, depending on your age it could be another world.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Certainly was a different era, depending on your age it could be another world.
    Indeed. Little wonder that attendances were lower in those days. I would rarely encourage the missus to go in those days. I would be very selective.

• Options
    Forest played Mull of Kintyre (the original version) just before the 1st and 2nd halves today, and it sounded like the whole crowd joined in. It was impressive.
  • Options

And Cardiff were'nt shy, i remember them walking through the Covered end led by some skinhead girls.

I bet they are all grannie's now.

• Options
    Ours is definately better
  • Options
    edited September 2012

...Palace, had the eastern half in late 70's when their team of the 80's had their promotion season.

I don't recall this at all, and I've never missed a Palace game at theValley on my lifetime.
  • Options
    Noss said:

...Palace, had the eastern half in late 70's when their team of the 80's had their promotion season.

I don't recall this at all, and I've never missed a Palace game at theValley on my lifetime.
    No, i can't remember that either.
  • Options

no, lost 0-1. Was relegation season 79-80
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Noss said:

no, lost 0-1. Was relegation season 79-80
    Could of swore we won 1-0....maybe that game (that we won) was 81-82, I maybe wrong memory isn't what it was and I don't have any info to hand to prove otherwise.
  • Options
    The Palace incursion definitely happened. Electric atmosphere that night and in last minute Peacock beat about 5 men and his shot hit the inside of the post rolled along the line and out. If they really meant to take it any team had to take the west side or the right side of the CE or SES. Walking up Floyd Road in the dark after the game was entertaiing though.
  • Options
    Jesus @Stig, I'm going to have nightmares now. WTF was that?
  • Options
    It was good to hear them sing it at the proper tempo.
  • Options
    Fair play to them - All 4 sides of the ground join in, including the upper tier behind us, it's loud and at the right tempo. Great atmosphere & a proper football ground.
  • Options
    Yes, I do think they sing it a lot better than us. I've never been impressed with our version. Too fast and jerky. Not a song to get the whole crowd going I'm afraid, at least not how we sing it.
  • Options
    Noss said:

Never happened, remember Sheff Wed (3rd rnd) and Cardiff - first game of season following a promotion for them in the 70<s + the London ones, but, never ever, Palace
  • Options
    definately never happened think ur getting muddled up there bollox