Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Android phones with GPS

I have an iPhone and I don't want to change that but I'm looking into getting my son a phone with a GPS tracker.

He is 8 and might be getting a minibus to school and I'd have to pick him up from it. He is allowed to have a phone at school for the purpose of letting me know where he is etc. but I wondered if anyone on here knew enough about Android phones as I don't want to spend a fortune as he will, no doubt, lose it at some point.

So can anyone point me in the direction of an Android phone that I can set up to track his location that will be reasonable on price on a pay as you go basis?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy ace phones are quite cheap but fairly decent.
  • Options
    Stebo said:

Galaxy ace phones are quite cheap but fairly decent.

This
  • Options
    Definitely going for Samsung Galaxy next time. Prefer Android phones but I have an HTC Desire and it's cack - overheats and reboots randomly (anybody have a solution?). Can't rely on it, which is the last thing I would want for my son.
  • Options

Definitely going for Samsung Galaxy next time. Prefer Android phones but I have an HTC Desire and it's cack - overheats and reboots randomly (anybody have a solution?). Can't rely on it, which is the last thing I would want for my son.

Tried upgrading the firmware? A lot of people don't bother and it ends in frustration for them.

I've had a lot of Samsung Galaxy smartphones, admittedly the high end ones (Galaxy S, S2 and now the S3) but other than the S3, the GPS has always been rather poor. Being a bit of a techy guy, I know HTC use better GPS chips in their lower end phones. I would also recommend Seekdroid.
  • Options
    HTC one x GPS is outstanding. Use it for cycling and it hasn't let me down once. Pricey on pay as you go though. 20 a month on contract.
  • Options

Tried upgrading the firmware? A lot of people don't bother and it ends in frustration for them.

I've had a lot of Samsung Galaxy smartphones, admittedly the high end ones (Galaxy S, S2 and now the S3) but other than the S3, the GPS has always been rather poor. Being a bit of a techy guy, I know HTC use better GPS chips in their lower end phones. I would also recommend Seekdroid.

Cheers - no I haven't tried with the firmware, mainly because I know jack about this kind of thing - though I do accept the automatic upgrades when they're sent to the phone. Is it easy to do? Will definitely look into it as I've been too close to hurling the bloody thing at the wall too many times recently...
  • Options
    I've got a HTC one s and most of the time I love it. The only problem with it is the touchscreen has gone screwy on a couple of occasions and the only way to fix it was to do a factory reset. which meant backing up all my data and then reinstalling all my apps.
    bit of a pain in the rear. I'm hoping when HTC puts out jellybean it will stop this from happening.
  • Options
    I have a Galaxy Ace. For value and ease of use its pretty unbeatable. Mines the first generation but I believe the Ace 2 is even better.
  • Options
    HTC Wildfire S, utterly shite when you get rain on the screen but apart from that it aint too bad
  • Options
    If he leave the GPS turned on he will probably need to charge the phone every evening
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do the Samsung Galaxy phones have location tagging via triangulating cells or do I have to have the GPS on all the time?

The Galaxy Y looks like a decent entry level phone, does anyone know if it is any good?
  • Options

Do the Samsung Galaxy phones have location tagging via triangulating cells or do I have to have the GPS on all the time?

The Galaxy Y looks like a decent entry level phone, does anyone know if it is any good?

Yeah I have one. Its pretty good, a standard smart phone. Nice and simple. I'd recommend it for a kid.