Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Results day

Just got my exam results , wondering how anyone else did
I got
4-A*s
7-A s
1-B

Happy with that , any other results

Comments

• ISWT What an excellent group of results. 12 GCSE's of a great standard. Well done indeed, what's next for you?
  • edited August 2012
    I hope to carry on to as level and enlist in a sports journalism course at university, sports journalism is the dream
  • edited August 2012
    Overall in my GCSE's I got:

1 - A*
    3 - A's
    3 - B's
    3 - C's

VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!! Now for my A-levels, bring it on!!!!!!!
  • I got:

1 - A*
    3 - A's
    3 - B's
    3 - C's

Well done mate :) great results
  • Well done guys
  • some cracking results there, well done lads. Unfortunately for you, if you're going on to A-Level, then this results will know mean naff all! But go celebrate whilst they still mean something haha!
  • Thanks for all the positive comments, to be fair, I've missed a few away days to study ! Can't wait for forest away !
  • Must be just up north where the exams were 'harder'. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• That is some very good going. Best of luck going forward.
  • Yeah a levels are different, but still happy the work payed off
  • I got:

1 - A*
    3 - A's
    3 - B's
    3 - C's

You did incredible mate, 4 A*'s, fucking hell I could never do that. I also want to be a sports journalist, looks like we're going to follow very similar paths, just out of interest what did you pick for A-levels?
  • I got:

1 - A*
    3 - A's
    3 - B's
    3 - C's

You did incredible mate, 4 A*'s, fucking hell I could never do that. I also want to be a sports journalist, looks like we're going to follow very similar paths, just out of interest what did you pick for A-levels?
    To be fair, I don't know whether I will be taking my a levels yet, I've been offered a job by Kent online just to write up some articles on smaller league teams, maybe the odd Gillingham game, but they will pay for my university study which is a great option. I just feel the a levels would look good on my cv further down the line, what does everyone else think?
  • I was in the same situation as you mate but a bit further down the line. I got offered a very well paid job after my A-levels, but chose to go Uni instead. I think you could regret not doing your A-levels cos they are always there. You can get a job but if it goes tits up, then you are left with less qualifications. Tough call really.
  • Any employer that is willing to also pay for your study is a winner in my book.

Well done by the way.
  • some cracking results there, well done lads. Unfortunately for you, if you're going on to A-Level, then this results will know mean naff all! But go celebrate whilst they still mean something haha!

Universities reckon that performance at GCSE is a better measure of success at degree level than A-levels, mainly because post 16 people go through lots of changes in their life which can skew A-level results, but holding it all together to face a range of subjects all at the same time at the age of 16, and being successful, is a very reliable indicator of the person's real qualities.

• I got:

1 - A*
    3 - A's
    3 - B's
    3 - C's

To be fair, I don't know whether I will be taking my a levels yet, I've been offered a job by Kent online just to write up some articles on smaller league teams, maybe the odd Gillingham game, but they will pay for my university study which is a great option. I just feel the a levels would look good on my cv further down the line, what does everyone else think?

Ok I'll start by saying i'm only 22 so my advice may not be the best, but I've always found that it is the last thing on your CV that employers really care about (maybe an employer could confirm this for me). So at the moment GCSE's are what people look at, then it will be A levels, then it will be degree, then it will be actual job etc etc. So if you are being given the opportunity to gain actual work in what you want to do, and also gain a University degree, then I feel that not having A levels won't be too much of a hinderence, especially if you gain a good university degree and get a job with Kent Online out of it. I could be talking rubbish, and hopefully someone will correct me if i am, but if I were you I would definitely consider their offer.

• Yeah I agree, a levels will look good , however I don't feel like forking out masses of money on a university, especially for a decent one, therefore if I can get paid uni fees and come out of this with very little debt I will be happy, also earning 300 odd quid a week sounds good. I'm afraid I may miss a few charlton games , which isn't good, it's swings and roundabouts to be honest
  • I got:

1 - A*
    3 - A's
    3 - B's
    3 - C's

Ok I'll start by saying i'm only 22 so my advice may not be the best, but I've always found that it is the last thing on your CV that employers really care about (maybe an employer could confirm this for me). So at the moment GCSE's are what people look at, then it will be A levels, then it will be degree, then it will be actual job etc etc. So if you are being given the opportunity to gain actual work in what you want to do, and also gain a University degree, then I feel that not having A levels won't be too much of a hinderence, especially if you gain a good university degree and get a job with Kent Online out of it. I could be talking rubbish, and hopefully someone will correct me if i am, but if I were you I would definitely consider their offer.

I'm 30 and I agree with this! A job with potential for them to pay Uni fee's? I'd be all over it.

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2012

I got:

1 - A*
    3 - A's
    3 - B's
    3 - C's

Do both if you can. I was writing the sports section occasionally for a new magazine that a mate of mine started up. Admittedly it was hard to balance it with revising/studying when I had to write a piece which was why I eventually quit but it was great experience and I got a bit of cash from copies we sold around the school and advertising that was in the mag. Obviously working for a real newspaper and doing your A-levels at the same time is a big step up from the above but I just thought I'd offer my experiences. Also if they pay off the uni fees that would be a big factor in my decision to take the job (No way can I afford some of the fee's they are charging for some courses!!!).
  • edited August 2012
    Well done guys, you both did better than me three years ago. :-)
  • seth plum said:

some cracking results there, well done lads. Unfortunately for you, if you're going on to A-Level, then this results will know mean naff all! But go celebrate whilst they still mean something haha!

Universities reckon that performance at GCSE is a better measure of success at degree level than A-levels, mainly because post 16 people go through lots of changes in their life which can skew A-level results, but holding it all together to face a range of subjects all at the same time at the age of 16, and being successful, is a very reliable indicator of the person's real qualities.

What I meant though is that if you are planning to go to Uni or get a job after A-levels, then your GCSE results are pretty much ignored.
    When I applied to go to Uni, I didn't even have to give my GCSE results, you are accepted/rejected into Uni on the back of your A-Level results. When I went for a job interview recently at a high street bank, they asked me for my qualifications. I started off with GCSE's and they just said to ignore that and just give my A-Level results and my Degree.
    The latest form of qualification you get is always the most viewed. These two got some cracking results though which shouldn't put them off - just means they should get some excellent A-level results aswell and do well themselves.
  • My daughter got 3 A*, 3 A and 3 B and waiting for the Maths GCSE... WE're proud as she has a disability!
  • I got 6A*s and 5As, very happy :)
  • Well done both of you
  • I got:

1 - A*
    3 - A's
    3 - B's
    3 - C's

spot on. As I said, your GCSE results are ignored as soon as your A-Levels are finished mainly because of them being arguably the hardest exams of your life. If you can get to Uni without the A-Levels then give it a shot mate, be well worth it ISWT
  • My daughter got 3 A*, 3 A and 3 B and waiting for the Maths GCSE... WE're proud as she has a disability!

Don't sound like it to me!
    ;-)
    Good luck to her

• Congratulations to all the others who did well!!!!!!!
  • ISWT

Take the job and do you A's at night school.

As an employer I value relevant work experience way above qualifications. All qualifications give you is a gauge of general intelligence, work experience is all about how you apply yourself and how you fit into a team. If the kent paper will pay for you to do NCTJ exams or whatever then do that, get the work experience. If you feel the need to get further qualified then do this at a later date, during a career break or part time, and you will be in a much stronger position career wise than equivalently qualified.

My wife is a (lapsed!) journalist. To get her initial placement it was about her qualifications but promotion and jobs elsewhere were all about the work she had done. If you can get your byline out there now (and your work is good!) then you will trounce better qualified candidates at interview with little experience