Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kuala Lumpur

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
Going out here next week for a wedding, any ideas on what to do?!

Also is the forest game being shown live anywhere as i miss it whilst out there.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    Thai Malaysian Addick is your man!
  • Options
    I would recommend...

the minara tower - u cant go to the top of the petronas towers but u can go to the top of this tower. Stunning view.
  • Options
    Would also say

Medaka square (sp) - location where Malaysia declared independence

Kuala lumpur bird park- have a feeling this was the worlds largest aviary when i went in 2006

A lot of people would recomment the batu caves but i was a little underwhelmed. Caves are magnificent but the religious element was tacky.

Youll have a great time there. Cant wait to go back
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Kuala Lumpur means muddy river. The British hacked it out of the jungle in the 1880s to develop tin mining and rubber plantations so there's no real history to the place. It was an colonial administrative town (Singapore being the 'capital' of British Malaya). If you like food there's Indian, Chinese and Malay. The town is hot, noisy, crowded and limited. Take a trip up to the Genting Highlands where the air is chilly. The British Governors used to retreat up there at weekends but it has become very commercial and tacky IMO. It's a bit like taking a holiday in Canberra, Brazila or Ottowa. If you got time better off going to Malacca, Penang or East Coast which have history and beauty.
  • Options
    I have been going to KL for business for about three years now, its allright nothing more than OK.

If you want web access whilst you are there then rent yourself a 4G terminal from a local firm called Yes, its very cheap and provides fast, unlimited access (you can make VOIP calls too) and will be much cheaper than paying for Internet access at the hotel.
  • Options
    I quite like KL for some reason, but there's not a huge amount to see. Petronas Towers are impressive but as has been said the view is better from the Munara Tower. There is a nice walk around the Merdeka Square area. Nightlife is not bad but booze is expensive. Genting Highlands is quite tacky though a nice change from the city, Cameron Highlands a bit far away. Have a beer at the top of Traders Hotel for a great view over the Petronas Towers. Nice park there as well.

Chinatown is OK for shopping and eating and the place is full of big shopping malls.

Don't think you'll find CAFC on TV as I have Astro in Phuket, which is the Malaysian satellite service and they don't feature The Championship.
  • Options
    Spent 3 days there last year on my honeymoon before going to Borneo. The Sky Bar on the top floor of Traders Hotel is fantastic.

The Minara Tower has a new restaurant called Atmosphere 360. Me and the wife we're unexpectedly invited to the opening night where we sat on a table with Malaysian dignitaries and were announced as VIP guests of the owner. Very surreal!

Did the usual tourist stuff, Batu Caves, Clothing Factories, Genting Highlands and Elephant Sanctuary which were great.

Petaling St in KL is worth a look only for the sheer scale of snide goods on offer. I bought a Mont Blanc watch for about £20 which looks the biz and is still going strong!!

Have a great time.
  • Options
    If you know some locals as I assume you might then ask them. What is undeniably the case is that it can get very hot and humid and walking around isn't the best option. I went up the Petronas and although you can't get to the top it is still pretty scary on that bridge where Bond got up to his shenanigans.
  • Options
    There's a nice little rainforest reserve underneath the KL Towers. Bukit Nanas it's called, easily reachable by metro and has a fair few animals roaming around including two species of monkey.
  • Options
    As above, Petaling Street market is a crazy place. Get a list of designer handbags, watches etc and go there and get the snide versions but haggle like hell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Kuala Lumpur is one of my favourite cities in the world. It simply has a nice feel to it and is safe and comfortable to walk around (assuming you can stand the temperature).

There are several good areas - the city centre where Bukit Bintang crosses Jalan Sultan Ismael is good for shopping with some decent restaurants and bars. There's also a huge new shopping area although I would have to admit you could be in any big city. The Petrona Towers are worth a visit as is the KL Tower. I think it is best to book in advance for the Petrona Towers.

However, KL is a city with lots of little pockets of good places to go out. If you are somewhat younger than me, some of the bars round Jalan P Ramlee are popular. Here's a few other areas:

Jalan Doraisamy near the Sheraton (near Medan Tuanku monorail) has a good strip of restaurants and bars. Jalan Ceylon is not far from the city centre also and has some nice bars and restaurants plus a good atmosphere.

If you want to go out of the centre - Bangsar and Solaris Mont Kiara are good areas. I can also recommend a very good African restaurant in Petaling Jaya (which you will never find so Inbox me if you want help).

Petaling Street (as Stone mentioned) is a crazy market - get ready to bargain hard, it's surprising what discount you can get.

Sunway Lagoon is a bit further out of town but good for shopping and entertainment.

If you want a good pub with a difference and some (usually) decent music, try the Backyard Pub in Sri Hartamas. Again, inbox me if you need directions. On a Friday and Saturday night particularly, it always has a great atmosphere.

Other tips - don't get taxis that are parked - they will rip you off. Also, be prepared to negotiate a fare if they refuse to use the meter - prices can vary wildly. It often rains at 5pm-ish, so taxi fares always go up then. Taxis from the city centre, particularly around the Petrona Towers are often overpriced - sometimes walking 200 yards can save you a few quid!

If you want to take a longer trip, there are several options. Let me know.

Finally, you will find wall to wall football on TV, but they only like success in Malaysia, so it's all Premier League and no lowly Charlton stuff. You will also find taxi drivers all support Manchester United and probably have never heard of Charlton.
  • Options
    Watch out for the arrow on a corner of the hotel room ceiling, if it's there, the room is deemed as contaminated...
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    KL airport is superb by the way.....as are Malaysia Airlines.
    Forgot to mention.....it also has the worlds largest Business Class lounge.
  • Options
    We went by train from Singapore...7 hours....going back took longer as a train derailed...killing the driver, if travelling from Singapore better to fly or get the coach...being a Charlton fan I insisted that we caught the train.
  • Options
    KL isn't the most exciting place in the region, but it does have a few sites. The National Museum and Islamic Museum are both worth a visit, especially if it's too hot outside or raining! Both are central, near the old colonial railway station (also worth a visit, especially if you're a Charlton supporter) and in the rough direction of the bird park if you're walking.

If you have more time, Malacca is a more historical place to visit on a day trip.
  • Options

You will also find taxi drivers all support Manchester United and probably have never heard of Charlton.

That wasn't the case with me.
    Got in a taxi from the twin towers, and the lovely chap was very interested in London, He always knew of CAFC from the premiership. He mentioned Di canio, and Parker.

In Langkawi there was a little bar/Hut drapped in Bolton stuff, flags, shirts, etc I would assume it's run by an English man/woman though.

No mention or millwall out there though, which was odd, considering how massive they are..

But KL is a blooming beautiful place, like nowhere I've ever been, infact I'm saving up to go again..
    Loved it!
  • Options

We went by train from Singapore...7 hours....going back took longer as a train derailed...killing the driver, if travelling from Singapore better to fly or get the coach...being a Charlton fan I insisted that we caught the train.

KLIA (the main airport is a nice airport) but the low cost terminal known as LCCT is a dump. Also, although it is on the other side of the airfield, the journey by road between KLIA and LCCT is several miles. If you are travelling to Singapore by air, the inappropriately named Firefly fly from Subang airport to Singapore cheaply. Firefly fly to a number of Malaysia destinations as well as Koh Samui. Subang is a nice quiet airport that is near the city centre whereas KLIA and LCCT are a long way out of town but the reason for that is another story.
  • Options
    Love the place. Lot's of great cheap food, happy smiling faces. Great fast train from the airport as well.
  • Options

KLIA (the main airport is a nice airport) but the low cost terminal known as LCCT is a dump. Also, although it is on the other side of the airfield, the journey by road between KLIA and LCCT is several miles. If you are travelling to Singapore by air, the inappropriately named Firefly fly from Subang airport to Singapore cheaply. Firefly fly to a number of Malaysia destinations as well as Koh Samui. Subang is a nice quiet airport that is near the city centre whereas KLIA and LCCT are a long way out of town but the reason for that is another story.
    But then you don't need to go from the LCCT to KLIA is you're just going into KL, as there's a direct bus, not as fast as the KLIA express but not too bad.

The Motorway up from Singapore/Johor to KL is remarkably empty by UK standards, so the road journey is pretty fast, with a very frequent coach service. The bus station in KL was a bit of a dump mind you...
  • Options
    For a few quid more than the cheapest buses, Aeroline run a bus from a few locations in KL down to Singapore (as well as other places). They are very comfortable with seats like business class plane seats. This also avoids KL bus station as they start at hotels typically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LCCT is much improved from what it was about three years ago.

Last time I was in KL I ran into Sasa Ilic in the Beach Club. That's in the area mentioned by Thai Malaysia Addick as being more suitable for the younger crowd, but there are plenty of older types (such as me) in the area as well. The bars around Bukit Bintang can be fun as well.
  • Options
    of course the arrow could be pointing to Mecca !! as its a Muslim country.
  • Options
    Beach Club is really only for guys picking up hookers far better places to go for a good time. If you do go there avoid it when the US navy is there, it can get pretty mad.

You are unlikely to find the game on TV as they don't really show the championship on TV over here.

As previously mentioned if coming from Singapore, firefly is a good alternative to flying into the International airport.

Immigration at KLIA can be hit and miss, last time it took me 2hrs to clear, which was longer than it took me to leave my house, get on the flight and land from Singapore.

Someone else mentioned Genting Highlands, if you have a car, its a great drive up there, through all the twisting mountain roads.

Its starting to look a bit tired but its still a good place to go, if you play golf then you have to watch out for the monkeys stealing your balls.
  • Options
    Went to KL, Borneo and Langkawi for my honeymoon in 2002 and all I can say is that Malaysia and it's people are fantastic. As most people have said, KL is not the most interesting place but it does have some charm but can't quite put my finger on what it is though. I just enjoyed the whole experience that is KL.
    Also one of the most safe cities that I have visited in the world.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Wow! Thanks guys - a shed load more info off here than off the travel forums.

Im definitely looking to get to Singapore if i can so getting on firefly from subang airport sounds alot better than going to LCCT and going on air asia.

Im pretty sure they are celebrating independence when im out there so that should be fun to watch (was in Hong Kong for the 10 years after we anniversary left and the fireworks were something else!)

Another quick question (yes i know im being greedy!) what would be the best way to get from the airport to the city centre- Im staying near Jalan Imbi. The train seem quick and decent into KL Sentral but im not sure how easy it is to get from there to the hotel. I was told to get something called an airport limo from the arrivals terminal for a flat fee but would rather not sit in traffic for 40mins - 1hr.

Im sure i read somewhere that the game was being shown on astro but i may have been seeing things!
  • Options
    I usually take a taxi from the airport - if there's two of you it won't cost much different. A train ticket costs about £7 each and takes you to KL Sentral station which is not particularly central and you will need to get a taxi from there to Jalan Imbi or another train if you can face it. Taxis from KL Sentral Station can be busy at rush hours. The limousines are a bit nicer than the basic taxis from the airport, but if you get a newish 'Budget taxi' they are OK. Traffic jams are a problem in KL - rush hours are bad, particularly around Jalan Imbi. Taxis rise in price by 50% however between midnight and 6am (I think), so they get a bit pricey. Even with a good run it will take you about an hour to get from the airport to the city centre.
  • Options
    Im landing at twenty to ten in the evening so hopefully traffic wont be that bad...probably just figure it out when i land.

Now all i gotta do is find out what to do for the 10hr stopover in dubai!
  • Options
    csr_cafc said:

Im landing at twenty to ten in the evening so hopefully traffic wont be that bad...probably just figure it out when i land.

Now all i gotta do is find out what to do for the 10hr stopover in dubai!

Arrange a meeting with Charlton's Middle Eastern backers and persuade them to cough up some more money :-)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Singapore celebrates independence from Britain on 31st Aug, however their main celebration is on 9th Aug....(47th this year) when they split from Malaysia. Saw some of the celebrations in Aug 08...very impressive.
  • Options
    Just turned Astro Supersport on to see last weekend's Leeds v Wolves match being shown in full. It seems they are showing a few games but not sure about anything live. Tonights game will be shown the following morning, Saturday night's game on Sunday morning so I hope that will happen for all Friday/Saturday evening games. Better than watching at 4am!

Been travelling, that is why I have just found this out.