Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
As we have not signed any strikers,does any one think we should have kept Paul Benson?or do people think he would not be up to championship standard.I personally think he could be ok.

Comments

• Options
    Definitely not Championship standard.
  • Options
    Definitely not Championship standard.
  • Options
    Benson isnt championship standard. In terms of cover we are ok upfront, off the top of my head we have five strikers who are probably better than Benson (BWP, Kerms, Haynes, Hayes, Smith) and we also have Clarke.

There might be questions around our strike force at this level, but Benson isnt the answer. I wish him luck though and I'm sure he'll adore a hat full in league one this year.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Benno's problem is age he is 33 in October ,had he been picked up by a club our size in his mid 20's then maybe he could have operated at this level .I think he is an outstanding L2 Striker and I suspect he will be in demand at that level and he can operate effectively in L1 .
  • Options
    Wasn't even really league one standard. Good finisher, good bloke, but lack of ability to hold it up and control it meant he wouldn't cope in the CCC
  • Options
    I believe we swapped Benson for Clarke so Benson could get some 1st team footie, whilst well intentioned by CP a mistake.
  • Options
    I am a big supporter of Benson and think he could have done more of a job for us last season, but no I don't think he would have been able to make a further step up
  • Options
    When we had Benson the whole team was poor, Wouldn't of minded of seeing how Benson played alongside Kermogrant. Seems a good honest lad, He's whole round game wasn't great but knew where the net was.
  • Options
    Benno was a natural goalscorer and decent lad for us.
    That first touch needs work, though!
  • Options
    Honest pro who did adequately for us in adverse circumstances but not up to Championship standard in my view.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's better than Clarke.
  • Options
    League Two is his standard
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

As we have not signed any strikers,does any one think we should have kept Paul Benson?or do people think he would not be up to championship standard.I personally think he could be ok.

no way he could play for a bottom half league 1 team that is all, some people dont know very much about football

• Options

i'd have kept him, strikers who score are a commodity
  • Options
    Used to love the programme when I was 10
  • Options
    not championship standard by far...er i dont think we would know this as the whole team is going to be tested this year no doubt.

also we wouldnt hjave needed Benson with the following:
    BWP
    KERM
    HAYNES
    KERKAR
    HAYES (will be back up, but should be given a fair shout really)
    CLARKE (doubt will even get a look in)
  • Options
    Nice poachers goal from Paul Benson tonight for Swindon against Brighton. Obviously not Championship standard!
  • Options
    I'm a big Benno fan, good player and a top fella. Always pleased to see him get on the scoresheet. Loves a Rolo too.
  • Options
    He's scoring in the League that best suits his ability.
  • Options

Nice poachers goal from Paul Benson tonight for Swindon against Brighton. Obviously not Championship standard!

Wouldn't read into it too much as I believe he also scored past Reading for us last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

i'd have kept him, strikers who score are a commodity

does he score?

• Options
    Benson may not have always lacked consistent quality or may not be up to Championship standard but every single game he played in for us he never gave less than 150% effort and played with his heart.
  • Options

Benson may not have always lacked consistent quality or may not be up to Championship standard but every single game he played in for us he never gave less than 150% effort and played with his heart.

Impossible.........my maths teacher told me so...................................
  • Options
    Benson would never be consistently good enough to be a regular in the Championship but I can see him getting upwards of 15 goals for Swindon this season. Not bad for a newly promoted side.
  • Options
    Benson is an L1 player, that's about his limit - which is more than 99% of footballers reach so good luck to the bloke.

He'll probably play till quite late on seeing as how he didn't start in the pro-ranks till he was in his 20's, he is a very fit bloke and probably wants to play as long as he can.

Decent bloke, wish him all the very best.
  • Options

Derek1952 said:

no way he could play for a bottom half league 1 team that is all, some people dont know very much about football

Classy
  • Options
    He improved big time in the 2nd half of 2010/11 and I'd rather him than clarke or haynes
    And his attitude was spot on
    I wouldn't mind him as back up for BWP but he's untested at Championship level
  • Options
    I think it is a testament to our coaching that he left us, a better player than when he arrived. He had a decent eye for goal but most defenders wouldn't find him difficult to play against until he put one in the net out of nowhere.
  • Options
    Bendy Benson playing for D & R in the National League play offs on BT Sport 1 19.00 KO.
  • Options
    I thought for a minute this thread was being resurrected because he was going to be Robbo and Katy's marquee signing for next season.