Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Unity required to see us through

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
hopefully a bit of realism and a rallying call

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=26

Comments

• Can't put it better than that really!
  • excellent rallying call AFKA!
  • Its strange I think the players who have come in have largely been what we need; it is a shame that they all weren't at the club earlier, but that is just life and football as well. Shame we have had some injuries.

Faye has really impressed me and I think one of the things we were missing the whole of last season.

Dowie though I haven't warmed to him at all; I am not all 'Dowie out' but feel it could still reach that point after 10/12 games. Is his 'fitness regime' too hard? Rugby League is not Football after all.

A few early thoughts on where the worst of us will be going.
  • I made the point on another thread - that attendances were poor across the board for all the League Cup games. The fans know they are paying over the odds and are paying for wage inflation at the clubs and they also know that they will see in these games a side consisting of a smattering of first team regulars and kids making their debuts plus a few other squad players getting a run out. If the clubs don't take this Cup seriously, then why should the fans? And when was the last time Charlton had anything resembling a cup run in the league cup? I think we've never made it past the fourth round, that kind of record doesn't encourage the punters. Afka made the point that it was 3K less than Hartlepool last year, but how do the ticket prices compare? Were they £10 last year and if so that will account for some of the difference.

Saying that, attendances are beginning to slide - Man U wasn't a sell out and neither was Bolton and when you consider the cost, even at Charlton, can you blame the average fan? They don't go out of pure loyalty and want to be entertained, too often under Curbs last year we played defensively with one up front and every season since the last promotion has been the same, good start, in contention possible UEFA football, but when our place in the EPL has been secured for the next season the club slackens off and mid-table mediocrity beckons.

My guess is that lost a few fans over the last season and that they are sitting on their hands (and wallets) while they work out what kind of team they'll be getting under Dowie. We need to give Dowie a break, to date he's had most of his preferred first team out injured, plus he's had several tough games - Man U, Chelsea we most likely would have been lost even with the preferred first team, and it's never good to play teams like Portsmouth when they are on a roll. Until they are back and match sharp we can't judge whether he'll be a success or failure but so far, so good, despite one league win I'm still optimistic.
  • those that haven't seen, there have been some excellent comments posted at the bottom of the article, well worth checking out Killers Beards reply

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=26
  • AFKA/Lookout...My google toolbar treats the link as a popup, can easily get around it by holding down the ctrl key but thought it may be something you may like to address if possible.