Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Pietersen - Biggest Tosser in British Sport?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014

pettgra said:

I have never warmed to him as he always seems a bit precious to me; nevertheless, it was interesting to see some of the comments from ex players.
    Vaughan said that he never had a problem with him and he feels that there has been a lack of communication and man management.
    Hussein agreed with some of the stuff and found the on field bullying a bit strange.
    Tremlett is glad that KP has put his own side of the story out there, so people can draw their own conclusions on the dressing room culture.
    One thing for certain I know I am going to get the bloody book for Xmas, whether I want it or not!

Just an opinion .. Vaughan, like Brearley and probably Illingworth and Greig (as examples), was a natural born captain with that indefinable ability to man manage varied and disparate personalities within a team. To me, Strauss and Cook, like probably Botham, Boycott and Pietersen himself simply do/did not have that ability, that human touch.
    Also, I get the feeling that many of the recent England team became jealous of Pietersen and his income and publicity, not to mention his talent. Pietersen, with his egg shell confidence and veneer of imperturbability, like his fellow South African Trott just fell foul of some of their 'teammates' and collapsed under unfair and unwanted pressure and criticism . Let's face it in recent times, without Pietersen and Trott, not to denigrate the efforts of the bowlers too much, England would have won sweet feck all. I just hope that Ballance, the new White Hope from Southern Africa does not fall foul of internal bickering, spite and jealousy
    Vaughan was our best ever captain, just edges it over brearley for me.
    Best ever England Captain: DR Jardine.

Not only won 4-1 in Oz but royally pissed off the Aussies too.
  • Options

I like kp , why do we hate talent in the uk

talented he may be but he's always come across as an arrogant tosser, which made a big part of his talent to be fair. Always thought Swann was a bit of a dick from the way he acted on the pitch but his youtube diaries were hilarious and thought he was alright.

What's your source Addick Addict? Sounds like a great read.
  • Options
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cricket/article4230937.ece

athers' piece in the times makes a good point and great reading.
  • Options
    I don't buy this arrogance line, it's just the blokes make up his dna he is not as submissive or weak in his conviction

I think swann turning his back on his team mates and going home like he did is the most arrogant and shit thing I had heard in modern sport, but was forgiven by almost all and dismissed as am injury, had we still been in the test or winning it he wouldn't have gone home

• Options

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cricket/article4230937.ece

athers' piece in the times makes a good point and great reading.

Athers appears to be morphing into David Peace there :D
  • Options
    I can well believe someone like Swann winding people up to breaking point, and I said at the time his retirement was simply to avoid the indignity of being dropped. I can also believe the egos of people like Broad and Anderson being allowed to run out of control.

Problem is, everywhere Pietersen goes, strife is never far behind. For me, that texting episode was unforgiveable; this latest outbreak of KP self justification just makes him sound like Alan "its never my fault" Pardont.
  • Options
    Giles Clarke, Graham Swann, Matt Prior, Peter Moores, Andrew strauss, Andy Flower, James Anderson,Stuart Broad,
    Tim Bresnan, Matthew Hoggard........................... so many more.

Ricky Ponting and G Smith both want England cricket to implode so they will agree. (will make it easier to beat us next time)

Alex Stewart is KP's Chelsea/Surrey mate.

Some fans who saw any of his great innings will want him back. (that's history now)

Agree with NLA on Swann: quitting a tour, Really poor.

So it's fine when Ferguson and Clough rule with an iron fist but Andy Flower is hated for doing the same thing. ???
  • Options
    KP great player no doubt, but his whole life it's been about KP. He would never have played for England if it wasn't for SA cricket policies at the time
  • Options
    The weird thing about the quota system argument is that KP was being kept out of the KZN team by a white offspinner named MacQueen. Never did understand his rationale.
  • Options
    I have no problem with flower or the way he rules tbh
    Sometimes people dont get on

I don't really care what broad and swann have done either

I just don't get this kp is an arrogant mo.ey grabbing bstd from

He is a sportsman at the top of his game
    Earning vast sums if money and he comes across abit full of him self so what

Does he punch old women and push kids put of the way

No so why vilify the bloke
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I just don't get this kp is an arrogant mo.ey grabbing bstd from

The last 4 days are a great example of this.
  • Options
    One suspects that KP has also been making a lot of "stories" out of "non stories". After all, the former sells books whereas the latter doesn't.
  • Options
    I've not read the book and don't intend to, but I understand there's not a lot of cricket in it.
    To describe KP as a sportsman at the top of his game is simply laughable.
  • Options
    No their not they are in response to all the other books and bullshit been spoken about in the not so distant past
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I've not read the book and don't intend to, but I understand there's not a lot of cricket in it.

Indeed. If he is so desperate to reclaim his Test spot then why has he played 0 First Class games in 2014?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Indeed. If he is so desperate to reclaim his Test spot then why has he played 0 First Class games in 2014?
    been looking at the sol campbell thread and this and there are lots of comparisons to be drawn ...they have succeeded in team sports in spite of themselves?.Would i like to have shared a dressing room with either of them?... definitley not!

KP is simply not good enough to play cricket at the highest level anymore anyway and he knows that too

• Options
    Highest ever England run scorer and not at the top of his game wow be interesting to see him when he is at the top then

Kp bashing is done by those who are jealous and envious of the bloke

The cricketing rooney or Beckham that's all he is

Its people who are knowledgeable about the sport far more than I will ever be but it's also.those who love to tell everyone that they know everything and everyone else is wrong that bash the likes of becks rooney kp

Swann imo I would put on his arse daily if I had to work with him as our personalities would no doubt clash

Kp I'd prob get on with

Why people have to be so forth right and vocal on the morals of people they don't know, just seems weird
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Riviera said:

I'm reading the book now .. it contains a lot about 'cricket' matches and exploits .. I would say no more and no less about the chosen sport of the subject than any equivalent biography/autobiography of a renowned (or not so renowned for that matter) sportsman
  • Options
    Regarding Test cricket.I think you'll see from this, that Pietersen was at the top of his game 3 years ago in 2011 and has been on a downward spiral since.

http://www.cricketweb.net/statsspider/player/graph/336448-Test-5.php
  • Options
    ^^^ does this suggest that the trouble and strife within the England camp led to a degeneration in his form? .. Perhaps Pietersen likes to appear as brash, self motivated and extrovert without a care in the world when in reality he is a fragile personality who needs cuddling, cosseting and mentoring to get the very best from him .. 2011 was when ship England started to sink with all hands on deck and no-one manning the pumps, excuse the nautical metaphor ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But isn't most of what kp is talking about based within that time frame, when I said top of the game it is based on that time frame
  • Options

But isn't most of what kp is talking about based within that time frame, when I said top of the game it is based on that time frame

it is .. most of the 'cricket only' content in the book deals with the early/mid 2000s
  • Options

^^^ does this suggest that the trouble and strife within the England camp led to a degeneration in his form? .. Perhaps Pietersen likes to appear as brash, self motivated and extrovert without a care in the world when in reality he is a fragile personality who needs cuddling, cosseting and mentoring to get the very best from him .. 2011 was when ship England started to sink with all hands on deck and no-one manning the pumps, excuse the nautical metaphor ((:>)

You may be right about the personality but i think the KP dressing room problems probably go back to when he finished with the captaincy ....either way he is high maintenance. The sport attracts (for a reason i cant explain individuals that dont play the team game ) ..eg Geoff Boycott "tha wants me roons but tha doont want me "
    I can promise you i have played cricket just as much as i have played football and i have played cricket with many more selfish,egocentric cussed blighters than i ever have football ...However id choose to play cricket any day !
  • Options
    Just said in commentary box "I love South Africa, I love South African people, I believe I am South African........at the end of the day Mum and Dad are in South Africa. I have got such an enjoyable and such a wonderful life that I would never ever ever say that I would have preferred to stay in South Africa."

It was a career move pure and simple. No real allegiance to this country but suited his purpose to play for us because the South Africans didn't want him. And that move allowed him to live the lifestyle he does.

Perhaps it is this and the South African in him that rubbed so many people up the wrong way here. And he still says that he gets on well with all the members of the England team. Wonder what Broad and Anderson have to say about that.
  • Options
    slightly unfair reflection on what was a very lengthy and good-spirited interview (by ricky ponting) masquerading as a big bash commentary

he said he loved everything including england and most current members of the england team, and even andrew strauss! he loves many things does our kevin

didn't broad make noises of late about wishing he were still around
  • Options

Just said in commentary box "I love South Africa, I love South African people, I believe I am South African........at the end of the day Mum and Dad are in South Africa. I have got such an enjoyable and such a wonderful life that I would never ever ever say that I would have preferred to stay in South Africa."

It was a career move pure and simple. No real allegiance to this country but suited his purpose to play for us because the South Africans didn't want him. And that move allowed him to live the lifestyle he does.

Perhaps it is this and the South African in him that rubbed so many people up the wrong way here. And he still says that he gets on well with all the members of the England team. Wonder what Broad and Anderson have to say about that.

Broad actually recently said he wished KP had been dropped rather than had his England career ended.
  • Options
    Thought it was a good chat with Ponting ..light hearted and pretty comical and entertaining
  • Options
    Perhaps so far as his love of England is concerned. But then he's not exactly going to say anything else as he does live here and he still harbours hopes of playing for us again.

He also went on to confirm what was in his book so far as egos is concerned and with a bit of help from Ponting inferred that the likes of Swann, Prior, Broad and Anderson would be way in front of him on the podium so far as that is concerned.

All I can say is that I'm not sure that think they have fallen out of love with as many teams as KP has - Natal, South Africa, England, Notts and Hants for starters.
  • Options
    ponting, irritatingly, comes off as a really decent bloke nowadays
  • Options
    Ponting and Co do come across as a good laugh and his comments re: Gilchrist and a few beers ....really do show they are down to earth ...Bumble would be a great addition in the Box....