Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Pietersen - Biggest Tosser in British Sport?

Comments

• You could well be right about KP soapboxsam but you don't have to be 14 to be bullied.

I reckon it happens in most places of work. Even in mine there's a women (I seem to get on okay with her) that often brings employees to tears.

As she is a manager she is untouchable. No-one will stand up to her as they don't think they can. Distant parallels with people like Saville and much closer ones with allegedly Prior and Co.

I imagine that there may be an element of truth in KP's words, even if a bit spiced up.
  • Rothko said:

One of the best players England have ever had, a number of players and journalist are backing Pietersen's side of the story, and I suspect the likes of Prior, Broad, Anderson and Flowers aren't the angles some want them to be

Acute, Obtuse, Straight, Right angles ?

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

• Ben18 said:

His mum is English, he's probably got more link to England than quite a few on AA's list from above.

South African father, European mother, brilliant at his chosen sport. Who? Roger Federer. No one complains that he's "not really Swiss".

The problem with KP is not his nationality. It's his arrogance, self-centred nature, attention-seeking, selfish, prima donna attitude.

He's not a team player. In many ways, his biggest problem is that his sport is cricket. If he'd been a golfer or cricketer, he these traits wouldn't be seen as flaws.
  • Can't believe so many of you have met him to form such impressions of the man

For such a self centred arrogant prick he certainly seems to mingle with cricket fans
  • Who can really even tell who is telling the truth? My sports journalist friend who knows all the national cricket writers says that even they are split, half think KP is an arsehole, the other half think he is a misunderstood genius.

I guess this will be one of those questions upon which we Cricket lovers will be forever arguing.

My sense is that KP is a bit of an arsehole - but an arsehole who is probably the most exciting English batsman I have ever seen - bar CJ Tavare of course.
  • edited October 2014

You could well be right about KP soapboxsam but you don't have to be 14 to be bullied.
    I reckon it happens in most places of work. Even in mine there's a women (I seem to get on okay with her) that often brings employees to tears.

As she is a manager she is untouchable. No-one will stand up to her as they don't think they can. Distant parallels with people like Saville and much closer ones with allegedly Prior and Co.

I imagine that there may be an element of truth in KP's words, even if a bit spiced up.

I apologize for making it sound that being bullied is just for young teenagers.

It does happen in the workplace and has made life a misery for lot's of people.

This is not bullying, this is just a diva who when people stand up to him, becomes very devious and will get the new guys on his side.

The biggest mistake The ECB made were, after texts were sent to his south african brothers he was allowed to be involved with England again. Dissing yet another England captain.

Also Flowers and Moores + not sure his views on fletcher ?
    He is tainting so many good England players.

This was Alan Lamb view this morning, Also said in his time with Botham, he would have lasted about 5 minutes.

after a big score, KP would love to be surrounded by fans who were very supportived of him.
    Thats how ego's feed. very exciting to watch, when on his game.

It must be a real bummer for him being told to be a team player in a team sport, If only he had been a golfer ?

• i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pdf/2014/10/KP.pdf

If the stuff in that is true, it's hardly a surprise the ECB wanted him gone. Admittedly it is a fairly big if though and the ECB really do not come out of all this with any credit but you can't have players disrupting the dressing room, especially if they are adding nothing to the playing ability.
  • I have never warmed to him as he always seems a bit precious to me; nevertheless, it was interesting to see some of the comments from ex players.
    Vaughan said that he never had a problem with him and he feels that there has been a lack of communication and man management.
    Hussein agreed with some of the stuff and found the on field bullying a bit strange.
    Tremlett is glad that KP has put his own side of the story out there, so people can draw their own conclusions on the dressing room culture.
    One thing for certain I know I am going to get the bloody book for Xmas, whether I want it or not!
  • what cant be denied is swann, broad and anderson did and DO scream at their fielders when they make a minor mistake. Never seen Prior do it, but i've played with keepers who do the same, shout at people to look lively etc, just get on with doing your fucking job you self centred arse. It's not a healthy atmosphere for a team.

• Sponsored links:

• what cant be denied is swann, broad and anderson did and DO scream at their fielders when they make a minor mistake. Never seen Prior do it, but i've played with keepers who do the same, shout at people to look lively etc, just get on with doing your fucking job you self centred arse. It's not a healthy atmosphere for a team.

Absolutely this.

Praise in public bollock in private.
  • edited October 2014
    pettgra said:

I have never warmed to him as he always seems a bit precious to me; nevertheless, it was interesting to see some of the comments from ex players.
    Vaughan said that he never had a problem with him and he feels that there has been a lack of communication and man management.
    Hussein agreed with some of the stuff and found the on field bullying a bit strange.
    Tremlett is glad that KP has put his own side of the story out there, so people can draw their own conclusions on the dressing room culture.
    One thing for certain I know I am going to get the bloody book for Xmas, whether I want it or not!

Just an opinion .. Vaughan, like Brearley and probably Illingworth and Greig (as examples), was a natural born captain with that indefinable ability to man manage varied and disparate personalities within a team. To me, Strauss and Cook, like probably Botham, Boycott and Pietersen himself simply do/did not have that ability, that human touch.
    Also, I get the feeling that many of the recent England team became jealous of Pietersen and his income and publicity, not to mention his talent. Pietersen, with his egg shell confidence and veneer of imperturbability, like his fellow South African Trott just fell foul of some of their 'teammates' and collapsed under unfair and unwanted pressure and criticism . Let's face it in recent times, without Pietersen and Trott, not to denigrate the efforts of the bowlers too much, England would have won sweet feck all. I just hope that Ballance, the new White Hope from Southern Africa does not fall foul of internal bickering, spite and jealousy
  • I think you're being a bit unfair to other players by saying without those 2 England would have won nothing. Excellent players without a doubt but that was easily the strongest England team in my lifetime. It is possible that some became jealous of KP but he really should have dealt with it better. He wanted all of that fame, notoriety and money yet he couldn't handle the stick he got from his fellow teammates.

Met Broad once, absolute prick.

• pettgra said:

I have never warmed to him as he always seems a bit precious to me; nevertheless, it was interesting to see some of the comments from ex players.

Just an opinion .. Vaughan, like Brearley and probably Illingworth and Greig (as examples), was a natural born captain with that indefinable ability to man manage varied and disparate personalities within a team. To me, Strauss and Cook, like probably Botham, Boycott and Pietersen himself simply do/did not have that ability, that human touch.
    Also, I get the feeling that many of the recent England team became jealous of Pietersen and his income and publicity, not to mention his talent. Pietersen, with his egg shell confidence and veneer of imperturbability, like his fellow South African Trott just fell foul of some of their 'teammates' and collapsed under unfair and unwanted pressure and criticism . Let's face it in recent times, without Pietersen and Trott, not to denigrate the efforts of the bowlers too much, England would have won sweet feck all. I just hope that Ballance, the new White Hope from Southern Africa does not fall foul of internal bickering, spite and jealousy
    Vaughan was our best ever captain, just edges it over brearley for me.
  • Croydon said:

what cant be denied is swann, broad and anderson did and DO scream at their fielders when they make a minor mistake. Never seen Prior do it, but i've played with keepers who do the same, shout at people to look lively etc, just get on with doing your fucking job you self centred arse. It's not a healthy atmosphere for a team.

In what way?
  • Bowlers win matches.
  • Vaughan had KP as a débutante. Vaughan was established as England captain and KP wasn't such a twat in 2005. He was one, but no where near as developed as the major twat.
  • Riviera said:

Vaughan had KP as a débutante. Vaughan was established as England captain and KP wasn't such a twat in 2005. He was one, but no where near as developed as the major twat.

This. Vaughan got out before KP become an arsehole.
  • Team spirit is simply "an illusion glimpsed in the aftermath of victory" - Steve Archibald.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely he has moved on from major twat to world class twat?
  • Riviera said:

Team spirit is simply "an illusion glimpsed in the aftermath of victory" - Steve Archibald.

Riviera, welcome back - missed you during the cricket season !
    Ford better than the scrubs ?
  • Riviera said:

Team spirit is simply "an illusion glimpsed in the aftermath of victory" - Steve Archibald.

Riviera, welcome back - missed you during the cricket season !
    Ford better than the scrubs ?
    HMP Slade actually.
  • Croydon said:

what cant be denied is swann, broad and anderson did and DO scream at their fielders when they make a minor mistake. Never seen Prior do it, but i've played with keepers who do the same, shout at people to look lively etc, just get on with doing your fucking job you self centred arse. It's not a healthy atmosphere for a team.

In what way?
    Arrogant and a bit rude. In fairness, it was a charity event and everyone was pissed, but the other players present came across like a decent set of lads.
  • Sounded alright on talk sport, and if ponting, smith and Stewart all keep backing him up it will begin to sound like some of you lot got it wrong
  • thats what I thought NLA he came across really well and Flowers looks the arse in the situation
  • edited October 2014
    I was never keen on KP to be fair.
    Nevertheless, was it Broad, Swann, Prior and Anderson that decided to piss on the wicket.
    Pretty disrepectful all round. Suffice to say I would not like to be in their company either. Nice bunch of chaps.
  • I can't stand KP but I have to say Swann has in his career demonstrated similar traits to his dressing room "colleague":

Before he made his England debut, Graeme Swann attended an ECB camp in Adelaide. Former Australian wicketkeeper Rod Marsh, who was conducting the camp, casually asked physio Kirk Russell, "Who the f**k is Robbie Williams?" The brash Swann took exception to this query and replied "He's a f**king singer, you ignorant c*nt!"

Needless to say, no one laughed at Swann's remark, and for a long time he was dismissed as an arrogant young man.

As for the alleged bullying perhaps Swann is indeed the child who was abused as a kid and then became the abuser himself:

He upset Darren Gough with a throw-away comment one evening and Goughie quickly reminded him, a) he had gone too far, b) Gough was a senior player and Swann most definitely was not and c) if he said it again Gough would belt him. What Swann thought of this is unknown but his memory must have been poor. Later in the tour he repeated the remark to Gough who seethed. When Swann went to the toilet, away from prying eyes, Gough saw his chance. He followed Swann in and said to the effect, “I did warn you, Swannie” before decking the spinner where he stood and walking out. Immediately, Gough thought he better tell the coach he had just smacked the new boy but he feared the consequences, thinking he might be sent home. In trepidation he knocked on Duncan Fletcher’s door and told him. Fletcher’s response, “Thank God, I’ve been waiting for someone to do that all tour!” Problem solved.

Both KP and Swann have massive egos and the revelations by both sides has done nothing to enhance their reputations.

There again, neither will ever the class of a Sachin Tendulkar or, if we are talking specifically about England players of this era, Ian Bell for example.
  • I like kp , why do we hate talent in the uk