Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Double Glazing

I am looking into replacing my ageing hardwood framed, aluminium double glazing with upvc.

Anyone able to recommend me a good company with a good product, sensibly priced and not pushy with hard selling and fake discounts if you sign up at the time they visit. Anyone with any sense would want to get a few quotes, which they try to prevent you doing by offering a discount which is only valid if you sign up at the time the salesman visits.

I had a company round the other week whose product looked very good but in order to get it at a decent price insisted I signed on the dotted line. Their alleged discount was based on a reduction from a so called book price, which was hugely overinflated. Discount was near 50% but still came in at over 8k. I'm prepared to pay for a quality product but don't want to be ripped off. They also made a big thing about their windows not having the typical black gasket seal, which they reckon wears out quickly. However, my current windows are near 20 years old and the seal still reasonably ok..

Any advice or recommendations welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Find yourself a fitter and get the windows at trade prices, you won't get the 10 year guarantee but if you buy from a reputable company you should have no problem. Had ours done 10 years ago and no problems, so far!

It's a damn sight cheaper as well!
  • Options
    Brother in laws father is decent. Where are you based?
  • Options
    Totally agree with BDL..
  • Options
    We used a company from East Grinstead called Provincial windows - great service, great staff and no hard sell. Have recommended to loads of people, none have had any complaints!
  • Options
    Ever considered doing it yourself. It's not that difficult.

Put in some made to measure ones a few years back and was surprised at how easy it was.
  • Options
    Sundridge windows,
    ring 02088516031, Andy.
    A nice family firm, no pressure, good prices.
  • Options
    There was a thread on this about 6 months ago. Google it.
  • Options
    I know a very good guy, but I find that when I recommend someone on here they never get the business. If you think you could use a serious recommendation PM me.
  • Options
    I had Smiths fit my windows last year, very happy with them. 10 windows, back door, French doors and a composite front door with side windows. Their fitters did a really good and clean job.
    I think you will find that most firms will do you the windows at little more than cost and you basically pay for the labour. All the companies will be FENSA registered but not all will have insurance backed guarantees.
    I looked at diy and the cost was about £650/ window, weren't worth the effort.
  • Options
    Ted Moult
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking to replace our windows and had some bloke round about 6 months ago (opportunist and we were curious), and 3 hours later he quoted us 8k initially and got down to 3k by the time he was packing up his car. It put us off looking into it any further but now we want to get some quotes again and I know this thread is old, but wondered if anyone knew of any reputable companies in the Sidcup/New Eltham area that would be worth us contacting as I'd rather go to a local independent company with a good rep than use one of the big companies that could rip us off?
    Cheers
  • Options
    Sundridge windows are good.
  • Options
    First Independent Windows Limited. I know one of the guys there, Phil Barton. Unlike other companies, they quote you the right figure, no haggling. If you are going to use them, let me know and I'll make sure Phil is expecting your call.

http://www.1stindependent.co.uk/contact.html
  • Options
    edited November 2014
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

First Independent Windows Limited. I know one of the guys there, Phil Barton. Unlike other companies, they quote you the right figure, no haggling. If you are going to use them, let me know and I'll make sure Phil is expecting your call.

http://www.1stindependent.co.uk/contact.html

I don’t doubt they do a good job and give a good price but they look a little one man band to me and the also have a drain unblocker business at the same address, which is residential.
    If I was having having a few windows/doors done I'd want and insurance backed guarantee (10 years ish) and peace of mind that when then the door drops a couple of mill or a seal goes in a unit the company will be back to put it right. Will this company do that?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The company I recommend... Not the cheapest but high quality, excellent customer service and full guarantees is BRAMPTON WINDOWS, based in Bexleyheath. So much better than the Zenith, Everest, Anglian, Crystal etc sharks. They will come round, give you an honest quote, no hard sell, happy to leave you with the price, no bs. Cannot recommend more highly. Again, quote you a real figure, no haggling. Very tidy install and excellent making good, including interior decor and outdoors such as redo render and match in new pebbledash etc... Please at least get a quote from them.
  • Options
    Chrystal Windows have quoted me £2980 for a double glazed door with full length windows on each side. I thought this sounded like a lot of dosh. Any experts on double glazing on here?

Thanks
  • Options
    Struth, I had 3 door (external) supplied and fitted for 800 quid. By a local guy (Minster on Sea) he replaced 4 blown double glazed including a 5x5 section for 300.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Chrystal Windows have quoted me £2980 for a double glazed door with full length windows on each side. I thought this sounded like a lot of dosh. Any experts on double glazing on here?

Thanks

Nope. But the last time I had my house done (15 years or so ago), the intital quote was £17k. I ended up paying just over £5k. Don't believe any of their crap and just keep playing hardball.
  • Options
    If you are Se london/ kent area...do consider Brampton Windows. Totally reliable, trustworthy and no dodgy sales techniques. High quality product.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I had my whole house double glazed about 7 years ago. The initial quote from Everest was @£24K.

I played one off against another, without lying & just saying in all genuiness, I'd go with the lowest offer, of the offers I was happy with.

Ended up paying £7k, for the whole house, so obviously shop around and let them know what you've been offered.

I used Tolland in Well Hall Road.
  • Options
    I had crazy quite from zenith...24K ish but who then dropped 10 K when challenged. Shows that they try to overcharge if they can.
    On the other hand, Brampton will give you a single no nonsense quote. Did whole house including patio doors and toughened glass in some windows for arnd 7K. They also give advice on what will probably look best and even..ie frame widths and matching each side of house etc..
  • Options
    They're probably all the same but I had to tell Crystal's salesman to sling his hook when they quoted. Came out with the usual bollocks about only getting the discount if you sign today etc etc. He also spent half his time slagging off other suppliers rather than promote his own. In the end we used a builder I know who did a load of other work at the same time and subbed out the window fitting to his mate who worked for Crystals but did private jobs. He told us never to use them.
  • Options

I had crazy quite from zenith...24K ish but who then dropped 10 K when challenged. Shows that they try to overcharge if they can.
    On the other hand, Brampton will give you a single no nonsense quote. Did whole house including patio doors and toughened glass in some windows for arnd 7K. They also give advice on what will probably look best and even..ie frame widths and matching each side of house etc..

Mine was with zenith too.
  • Options

If you are Se london/ kent area...do consider Brampton Windows. Totally reliable, trustworthy and no dodgy sales techniques. High quality product.

I used Brampton for a new front door, someone on here recommended them, guy came round gave me a quote, no bullshit about signing now for a discount.

They did a good job and would recommend them.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

I used Brampton for a new front door, someone on here recommended them, guy came round gave me a quote, no bullshit about signing now for a discount.

They did a good job and would recommend them.
    We had Brampton too for our front door and the same story. He even told us that he didn't think we needed our front door replacing!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Thanks

I had a composite door with glassed panels either side worked out at about £1800.
    Also had 10 windows, back door and French doors. Worked out at just over £11,000. It was about 5 years ago and done by Smiths.
    All the quotes were around the same once bartered down but went with them as the salesman didn't give me the usual sales pitch nonsense that the others did.
    I did look into buying and installing myself but the margins are so tight it wasn't worth it and fitted by a firm I got the guarantee.
  • Options
    Pm me anyone who wants any double glazing or building work done. A very good mate if mine runs a glazing and construction firm in Medway and will look after you. Some of the prices I've seen for double glazed doors and windows on here are obscene. One of the brand new composite doors with all the trimmigs should not cost anymore than 800 sheets
  • Options
    I worked briefly for Anglian (when between jobs) . Basic premise is that whatever quote you receive they can afford to deliver that product to you at 25-30% of that price and still make a profit. The salesman however probably wont get paid! They will use all the patter. Higher authority close (calling their manager to get a better price) close on the day etc etc. It's all nonsense.

Also buy at the end of the month when they're looking to get any deals in to hit targets.

As said above much better to find a recommended, reputable local company.
  • Options
    I use Acorn windows in eltham, local firm good price and service