Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham Away

I've got my ticket for the away game but am travelling up the day before. I've not been to St Andrews before - is there a pub that CAFC fans usually meet in before the game? If so, which one?

Comments

• Options
    Only been to St Andrews once, 'orrible place. But I was 12 and there were rows all over the place on the way out. Even kids as young as 7 were giving abuse through the wire fence
  • Options
    Quote not working. But in response to markbatchelor100, I'd say no, not in my experience. I'd drink in town, definitely not near the ground & don't wear colours.
  • Options
    Went there in 1998 when we reached the playoffs and we played them on the last game of the season.

I was only 10 at the time, but had some Brum fan come up to me and my Dad and wanted to start a fight. Another spitting through the fence at us.

It was one of the rare occasions my Mum actually went to a game as well (think that was the last one she went to). Some bloke came up to her and called her "F'n cockney scum"......To which she just replied "Well, I'm not even a cockney." Brilliant!

Will be going this time though and I'm hoping we can pack the away end out. It's a big occasion for all of our players and whatever the result, we should be there in our droves to cheer em on.
  • Options
    Horrible place, horrible fans along with Wolves some of my worst experiences following Charlton, espeically in my younger days. Will be there with my son, hope we take a good number and create a cracking atmosphere, get a win and get out!
  • Options
    cant imagine its like that now. since the prem started, clubs like this have calmed right down.
  • Options
    Hope so but not so sure. Sheff Wed wasn't great last season after the game and if we win i don't expect this will be
  • Options
    Sheff Wed last season was nothing compared to how Brum used to be.

Remember that bit of old chicken wire when you filed out? All those Brummies giving it some and then suddenly... no more wire! One for the fleet-footed!
  • Options

Sheff Wed last season was nothing compared to how Brum used to be.

Remember that bit of old chicken wire when you filed out? All those Brummies giving it some and then suddenly... no more wire! One for the fleet-footed!

I remember it well and your right Wednesday was nothing like Birmingham, i expect both Brum and Wolves to be pretty inhospitable don't think it's changed that much, but will find out

• Options
    Went to wolves last season with a friend no problems
  • Options
    Woodsy I wouldn't have put Wolves in the Brum category. Unless they were playing West Brom perhaps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Its too easy to use past experiences on what you think a place might be like nowadays.

I've said before, did Birmingham and Wolves away about 2 years ago with West Ham (not through choice).
    No problem at either game, no confrotations, nothing.
    Must've been 3000+ at both games, and no signs of trouble depsite notoriously 'naughty' away and home fans.

Wolves especially was so easy, depsite all this 'subway army' nonsense i heard from some fat bloke in the McDonalds there. Warned us not to go through the subway cause of the home fans, but the only way to the ground was through the subway, so not sure what he'd been sniffing.
    Lived to tell the tale anyway, along with all the families who also boldly went through the subway towards the ground with us away fans.
  • Options
    if you aren't wearing colours and don't go mouthing off about how birminghams a shithole and you want to go home then you will be fine
  • Options
    come on, I’m sure even the hardiest and loyalist Birmingham fans have to admit that their city is a shithole.
  • Options

come on, I’m sure even the hardiest and loyalist Birmingham fans have to admit that their city is a shithole.

I'll doubt your be fine then
  • Options
    edited July 2012

na, don’t worry, i wont be going, the place is a shithole. i wouldn’t recommend anybody goes.
  • Options

na, don’t worry, i wont be going, the place is a shithole. i wouldn’t recommend anybody goes.
    Oh ok, sure they think the same about London
  • Options
    The firm I work for are all Birmingham fans so hoping to win this one, mainly to spare me from the abuse, probably get my ticket Thursday
  • Options
    Used to go Birmingham quite a lot with mates to meet up with a mate that goes uni there. Went to brum v chelsk when bowyer scored to beat them 1-0 a couple of years ago. Atmosphere was quality from the home fans and we were in the home end. Didn't seem scary 1 bit while walking around the stadium before and after the game.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your comments! I used to go to uni in Brum and never saw any trouble apart from when they were playing Villa! Looking forward to it - hopefully we'll fill our allocation and will make a lot of noise like at Fulham back in January!
  • Options
    A few run ins at Brum in the past, but i don't think it is anything like it used to be years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im so scared now after reading ur comments im not going now!!!
  • Options

Woodsy I wouldn't have put Wolves in the Brum category. Unless they were playing West Brom perhaps.

I'd say unless they're playing another hooligan club you mean. Every time I've been with Millwall it's kicked off up there...including stabbings.

As for Brum - they've gone soft these days.

• Options
    Calmed down up there anyway we aren't exactly anything to get excited about for their lot!!

Sheff Weds was a bit of 'revenge' and because all the knobs on our end giving it and ripping out seats then disapearing outside!
  • Options
    Warming up for the "dare we go to Millwall" thread well I see...
  • Options

Warming up for the "dare we go to Millwall" thread well I see...

Ha - we love you lot though.

Read today that Leeds fans won't be able to use 'Coward's Way' for their visit to Bermondsey this season - as it will be closed. So that thread might be on waccoe instead.

• Options
    Was at all the Birmingham away games in the 90's including the one where the Junior Red coach got bricked!

Just avoid drinking anywhere near the ground....there are some really nice bars not far from new Street station on a canal....sorry can't remember the area name but I'm sure someone on here will know.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Was at all the Birmingham away games in the 90's including the one where the Junior Red coach got bricked!

Just avoid drinking anywhere near the ground....there are some really nice bars not far from new Street station on a canal....sorry can't remember the area name but I'm sure someone on here will know.

Thanks Dan, you're right - lots of good bars/pubs around New Street. Think I'll head to the Briar Rose on Bennetts Hill (just off New Street) for a couple and then head down to the ground from there.
  • Options

I've got my ticket for the away game but am travelling up the day before. I've not been to St Andrews before - is there a pub that CAFC fans usually meet in before the game? If so, which one?

Will be very surprised that you will find a pub designated for away fans. Digbeth is on the way to the ground and there are a few boozers down there.
    I have always drunk there and not had a problem, but be careful, would be an idea not to wear your colours.
    You may or may not be aware but Birmingham do not have the friendliest of fans
  • Options

When did we play Wolves last season?
  • Options

When did we play Wolves last season?
    Obviously he went with another team